MLB: Another blow for the Cardinals

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wow, you have to like Milwaukee's chances. Pujols will be distracted, only one Ace for the cards....The cubs are well...the Cubs. I think the Reds were a flash in the pan last year and they'll be back to 500 ball. Pittsburgh is irrelevant. I know nothing about houston, so maybe they'll jump up to surprise some folks.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If Wainwright is out for the season and IF the Cards don't think they can come close to offering what Pujols is asking for after the season...might they ask him to approve a trade? If Pujols thinks the Cards are unlikely to win the division this year...might he allow the Cards to trade him to a contender? Obviously this would be complicated as a team would have to empty the upper level of their farm system of talented prospects or better.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Not a bad idea. They should follow the Twins route. The Twins knew there was no way to keep Santana. So rather than just lose him (even though they don't have to pay him anymore) they got some very good prospects for him. Granted, Pujols will require even more money and a better trade offer. I do think its wise to look into it if I was a Cards exec.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I thought ballplayers always do their best stuff when a contract is up at the end of the year. They do not sit out games and they take extra practice.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Waino has been my favorite player on the Cards team the last few years. Finished in the top 3 in NL Cy Young voting last two years, and probably should have won it in 2009.

This season is looking like it'll be another one in the toilet. Probably be a good battle between the Reds and Brewers to win the Central.

I think there's zero chance the Cards will be able to trade Pujols.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The good news about Tommy John surgeries is that the technique has advanced so much that pitchers tend to be stronger after recovering from the surgery than they were before they were injured in the first place. It may suck this season and next for Cardinals fans not having Wainwright around, but, if he sticks around, it may be better for them long-term.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Not a bad idea. They should follow the Twins route. The Twins knew there was no way to keep Santana. So rather than just lose him (even though they don't have to pay him anymore) they got some very good prospects for him. Granted, Pujols will require even more money and a better trade offer. I do think its wise to look into it if I was a Cards exec.

I thought that Pujols won't agree to any part of a trade deal. If he were to, I would hope that the Cards would get some better prospects than the Twins did with Santana. It seemed at the time that they received a less than stellar group of prospects, and 3 years later it is even more apparent that none of the prospects will ever be a front line player. Most are not even around anymore and in the case of Gomez, the guy that they got in return is also gone. The Twins didn't have much leverage and ended up trading with the Mets who had a very weak farm system to pick prospects from.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Wow, you have to like Milwaukee's chances. Pujols will be distracted, only one Ace for the cards....The cubs are well...the Cubs. I think the Reds were a flash in the pan last year and they'll be back to 500 ball. Pittsburgh is irrelevant. I know nothing about houston, so maybe they'll jump up to surprise some folks.

Remind me when the Brewers have actually won the NL Central? Oh yeh....they haven't.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Remind me when the Brewers have actually won the NL Central? Oh yeh....they haven't.

You would think that cubs fans would learn to not talk trash about winning. I don't know what is worse...

Pirates: setting records for futility
Cubs: Spending lots of money over a century trying to win a world series title just to have it snatched out of their hands by one of their own fans...

hmmm, I think that I would rather be a brewers fan who hasn't won the central than a cubs fan who has used the term June Swoon as a description of the play of their team.

I would absolutely love to see the Cubs sign Pujols to a 10 year contract. It would probably be as epic as the contracts given to Fukudome and Soriano. More money down the drain.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You can't use that argument because I have heard Cub fans often say things like "our roster this year is loaded, this is the year we win the World Series"...well...when was the last time the Cubs won the World Series? It doesn't really matter when the last time a team won something.

The truth is that beyond the more recent seasons, nothing 4 or 5 years or longer really matters to this upcoming season!

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
If Wainwright is out for the season and IF the Cards don't think they can come close to offering what Pujols is asking for after the season...might they ask him to approve a trade? If Pujols thinks the Cards are unlikely to win the division this year...might he allow the Cards to trade him to a contender? Obviously this would be complicated as a team would have to empty the upper level of their farm system of talented prospects or better.

A trade would definitely make sense for the Cardinals IF they get to the point where they realize there is no chance to resign Pujols. Unfortunately, I don't see another team emptying their minor league system of prospects for less than one year of Pujols. Most teams value their top minor league prospects to the point where they are reluctant to trade them for pretty much anything these days. If things get to this point, the problem the Cards will have is that other teams will know that since Albert is on the market he's not signing with St. Louis. Nobody is going to trade top talent for a guy that they could just get on the free agent market in the offseason. Now if Pujols were to agree to an extension with a team as part of trade, then you might see the Cards getting some serious talent in return.

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

Except the Twins got a horrible return in that trade. They got Carlos Gomez who is fast, but can't hit or get on base to save his life. Along with Gomez they also got Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey who are essentially AAAA pitchers now. All three of these guys are no longer with the Twins as well. And then throw in Deolis Guerra who was the high-upside arm in the deal except he's had a 5.16 ERA in the minors since joining the organization. It's hard to get real talent in return from a team who knows that you have no chance of signing the guy that is on the trading block.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
You can't use that argument because I have heard Cub fans often say things like "our roster this year is loaded, this is the year we win the World Series"...well...when was the last time the Cubs won the World Series? It doesn't really matter when the last time a team won something.

The truth is that beyond the more recent seasons, nothing 4 or 5 years or longer really matters to this upcoming season!

Are there stupid cubs fans? Yeh, absolutely. The cubs do NOT have a world series winning team this year. Fortunately, for the cubs, the fans still show up and go to games. Can't say the same for the brew crew up in Milwaukee. Hell, when the cubs play there it's 60% cubbie blue.

The comment was about winning the NL central, it was never about the world series. I knew the first comments in response to that would go directly to the world series drought. That's fine, you get use to it and for the most part, it's fair.

Going back to the original point, the brewers are one of two teams in the NL central who have never won the division. Just saying.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Are there stupid cubs fans? Yeh, absolutely. The cubs do NOT have a world series winning team this year. Fortunately, for the cubs, the fans still show up and go to games. Can't say the same for the brew crew up in Milwaukee. Hell, when the cubs play there it's 60% cubbie blue.

The comment was about winning the NL central, it was never about the world series. I knew the first comments in response to that would go directly to the world series drought. That's fine, you get use to it and for the most part, it's fair.

Going back to the original point, the brewers are one of two teams in the NL central who have never won the division. Just saying.

I understand what you are saying and agree when it comes to fans that throw statements out there like "this is our year"...I guess I was pointing out my dislike of statements like "a team has never won the division" or "haven't won a WS in 100+ years". I just am not sure what the history of the NL Central from 1994 up to say 2007 has anything to do with if that organization can win this year. It speaks loudly of the organization during that time period...but it really doesn't mean much about 2011. Same as if the Brewers had won the division every year in the 90s...doesn't mean anything about 2011!

Did not mean to frame it as an attack directly at you. Sorry.

Last edited: