Animated Avatars

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I went to set Joel "You Can't See Me" Lanning as my Avatar, to find that the avator-editor does accept .gif file format, but it doesn't animate it -- it appears to just take the first frame and set that as a static avatar.

Any plans or chance in the future we could see animated .gif avatars come to fruition?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I went to set Joel "You Can't See Me" Lanning as my Avatar, to find that the avator-editor does accept .gif file format, but it doesn't animate it -- it appears to just take the first frame and set that as a static avatar.

Any plans or chance in the future we could see animated .gif avatars come to fruition?
They did away with that feature with the move to the new site. If you click on the profile image, then it animates, but that is the only way. It totally killed my Cy drinking coffee avatar. I asked about it at the time, but was ignored, so I assume it is not something that can be brought back.

• Informative
Reactions: MeowingCows

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They did away with that feature with the move to the new site. If you click on the profile image, then it animates, but that is the only way. It totally killed my Cy drinking coffee avatar. I asked about it at the time, but was ignored, so I assume it is not something that can be brought back.

Translation: GTO's CY gif ruined it for all of us so they axed the capability. :D

Plus CF ain't ready for full on animated BoxsterCy Snoopy!

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Loading a ton of GIFs can still ruin even a modern browser.

It is even worse on mobile.

Help Support Us

Become a patron