Animal identification

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Agree.

Speaking of...I rolled up on a coyote standing in the middle of a highway in the middle of the day. I slowed down to pass it, thinking it was going to dart away in some direction and wanted to be able to stop if that direction was in front of me, but other than it’s head turning to stare me down as I passed, it NEVER MOVED. Again...this was the middle of the day. Certainly rabid, right?

Yep you should have killed it. Either shot it or ran it over.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
People on that dumb next door ap claim you can hear them at night in West Des Moines.

That wouldn't surprise me. They adapt well to metro living. There are lots of pics of them living in L.A.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
A middle of the night fox vixen scream is the creepiest animal sound I've ever heard. I was sure it was some sort of alien monster till I actually spied the fox screaming a few nights later.
A bobcat will put out a scream that makes your skin crawl.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We rarely see fox around here anymore.

Yeah I really enjoy it when I see one. They just look smart like they're several steps ahead of what you're thinking. One had a den several years ago where I grew up and I got back one night to several kits running around the yard.

Weird how that cycle happens. I can't remember the last time I saw a porcupine waddling around up north but I also heard the fisher population is up and they DGAF about pesky quills.

Reactions: Acylum

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
A bobcat will put out a scream that makes your skin crawl.
Back in 2009 when I was in high school I had some friends over to my parents house on the river for a campfire. About 11 pm we heard a Bobcat. It was pretty terrifying.

I knew it wasn't much before this that a mountain lion had been spotted very near my parents house. Having never heard a scream like that I assumed it was the mountain lion. We went inside almost instantly. I now know what we heard was a bobcat, but it was very close.

Reactions: madguy30

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We rarely see fox around here anymore.
Local family of fox live in my neighborhood in central Ames. Come strolling through my yard pretty regularly. Last summer each evening the pups would all come out of the woods between Brookside and downtown and play around.

Notice in the upper right there’s a deer standing there too. 66577DF3-3B05-4388-AAF8-BF3C8440B5A7.jpeg 66577DF3-3B05-4388-AAF8-BF3C8440B5A7.jpeg

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Why does this article read so much like academic's making 'something' out of 'nothing'?...
My brother skins coyotes in the winter and they have a huge variation in size (25# to 50#+) and coloration (reds, greys, tans, to almost black) even in the so called "western coyote" population...
Wouldn't think 'Yotes in North/Central Iowa would be cross-breeding with wolves to make hybrids given the territory ranges given in the article.

Guess next winter he'll have to sample them for 23 and me testing to figure out what's really going on!

Thanks for sharing the link.

Help Support Us

Become a patron