Animal identification

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Agree.

Speaking of...I rolled up on a coyote standing in the middle of a highway in the middle of the day. I slowed down to pass it, thinking it was going to dart away in some direction and wanted to be able to stop if that direction was in front of me, but other than it’s head turning to stare me down as I passed, it NEVER MOVED. Again...this was the middle of the day. Certainly rabid, right?
Coyotes aren’t purely nocturnal so that part isn’t crazy. Mange can make them act weird if it’s bad enough, but you would see that. The strain of rabies that effects coyotes is extremely rare, especially in the northern states. Most likely one that is used to traffic, if you stopped and got out he would have hit Mach 3.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Since it seems we have so many experts on animal IDing, what do you think this is? This is from my property and it is nothing I've seen before. Pretty sure it's not a coyote. Maybe some kind of dog? I'm going to go get the card out of the camera to get a higher resolution image but let's start speculating now.

Coyote and maybe just looks weird on the head because the background is almost the same color.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's the rabid devil dog pet of the Smiley Face Killers.

It's why you'll passed no permit gun carry, states freakin' dangerous as hell. :oops:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Coy-wolf? I think I spotted one in Clive about a month ago right next to Chicago Bridge & Iron.
AKA as the Eastern Coyote. And they can get huge. Friend had something picking off his feeder pigs and caught a coy wolf in the act and shot it with a .22. When I saw it in person I suggested he get something more powerful for next time. Also, I do a lot of hiking, backpacking, stealth camping- it’s incredible how much coyote **** you come across. And you never really see them all that much. They are truly the “ghosts of the prairie “.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Agree.

Speaking of...I rolled up on a coyote standing in the middle of a highway in the middle of the day. I slowed down to pass it, thinking it was going to dart away in some direction and wanted to be able to stop if that direction was in front of me, but other than it’s head turning to stare me down as I passed, it NEVER MOVED. Again...this was the middle of the day. Certainly rabid, right?

We had this happen with a raccoon. It was swaying a bit like drunk. I always assume they are rabid though.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
People on that dumb next door ap claim you can hear them at night in West Des Moines.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
People on that dumb next door ap claim you can hear them at night in West Des Moines.
If you're talking about coyotes I have no doubt you can. They can be really loud. And as for the posts claiming this picture is a coyote, I have seen plenty of coyotes and this looks nothing like one unless it is mangy.