Andy Richter to reunite with Conan O'Brien on Tonight Show

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I can't stay up past 10 pm usually, but I will make some exceptions for Conan. My 20 month old alarm clock goes off at 6 am on the dot, and he has no snooze button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Richter did get saddled with some weak timeslots though. I watched one or two episodes of both of the shows he did, and they weren't bad, they just weren't on when people are actually home watching TV.

I am excited to see what Conan does with the tonight show though. I'm...curious to see how Fallon does with late night. And, I'm just thanking god that they didn't decide to bump Daly up to fill that slot, he is terrible.

agree. I'm pretty sure that "Andy Richter controls the universe" started out on Sunday's after the Simpsons, but got moved to Saturday night at one point. That's the graveyard for sitcoms. I thought that show was pretty darn funny and I am surprised that it didn't have more success with all the things it had going for it.

Especially these two:

165_paget-brewster.jpg

&

19.jpg

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
agree. I'm pretty sure that "Andy Richter controls the universe" started out on Sunday's after the Simpsons, but got moved to Saturday night at one point. That's the graveyard for sitcoms. I thought that show was pretty darn funny and I am surprised that it didn't have more success with all the things it had going for it.

Especially these two:

165_paget-brewster.jpg

&

19.jpg

Shows don't typically get moved to "Graveyard" slots if lots of people are watching them and they are successful. I can only think of a handful of shows that got the axe despite being wildy popular.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I was just going to ask that. He was good in Old School playing a *****. Maybe he's one in real life and burned bridges. A ***** in Hollywood? Nah.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Shows don't typically get moved to "Graveyard" slots if lots of people are watching them and they are successful. I can only think of a handful of shows that got the axe despite being wildy popular.

true enough. It may have already been headed downhill by the time it made it to Saturday night.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was just going to ask that. He was good in Old School playing a *****. Maybe he's one in real life and burned bridges. A ***** in Hollywood? Nah.

He left in the middle of a nasty contract dispute, similar to Tony Bruno on the radio. I think when that happens you tend to get black balled a bit... Last I heard he was trying to get into producing but never heard much from that...

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
FOX has a history of mishandling sitcoms and animated shows, except for the Simpsons.
Family Guy was an absolute blunder on their part, but Id be curious to see how many of these sitcoms that were "Mishandled" were actually doing well in the ratings and not just cult classics that people thought "everyone" was watching.

MarvelousMarv

Jan 24, 2009
I have heard Craig Kilborn is a giant *******. One of my profs in college was a producer for him when we was a sports anchor at a station in L.A. It sounds like Kilborn seems to think an awful lot of himself. Which I think made it pretty easy for him to play an *** in "Old School".

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
He left in the middle of a nasty contract dispute, similar to Tony Bruno on the radio. I think when that happens you tend to get black balled a bit... Last I heard he was trying to get into producing but never heard much from that...

Craig Kilborn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Kilborn made his motion picture acting debut with a small role in Old School and has since appeared in four other motion pictures: The Shaggy Dog, The Benchwarmers, Full of It, and Cursed."

Looks like he has been up to alot since his late late show days! :jimlad:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Family Guy was an absolute blunder on their part, but Id be curious to see how many of these sitcoms that were "Mishandled" were actually doing well in the ratings and not just cult classics that people thought "everyone" was watching.

Good point. Some of the lack of ratings might just be due to being on FOX. If I am watching the major networks, FOX is usually the one I flip to last. I think some of the "Cult Classics" were not really appreciated until they were gone. I am not sure if that is because FOX pulled the trigger too fast or not.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good point. Some of the lack of ratings might just be due to being on FOX. If I am watching the major networks, FOX is usually the one I flip to last. I think some of the "Cult Classics" were not really appreciated until they were gone. I am not sure if that is because FOX pulled the trigger too fast or not.

Family Guy
Futurama
Arrested Development
Undeclared

all were killed before their time.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Pretty sure FOX has a nasty reputation of jerking new shows around before they get their footing. Shows don't start with an instant audience, unless they're really hyped before the debut.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Pretty sure FOX has a nasty reputation of jerking new shows around before they get their footing. Shows don't start with an instant audience, unless they're really hyped before the debut.

Although you do have to give them credit for giving a chance to shows that never would have gotten a look from the other major networks.

When I watch traditional sitcoms like 2 1/2 men and their ilk, they're so formulaic and predictable. At least Fox attempts to break the mold with more frequency. No offense if you like 2 1/2 men.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Although you do have to give them credit for giving a chance to shows that never would have gotten a look from the other major networks.

When I watch traditional sitcoms like 2 1/2 men and their ilk, they're so formulaic and predictable. At least Fox attempts to break the mold with more frequency. No offense if you like 2 1/2 men.

It's funny that FOX plays so many reruns of 2 1/2 men.

I agree though that there are at least a few original shows on FOX, sometimes.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
It's funny that FOX plays so many reruns of 2 1/2 men.

I agree though that there are at least a few original shows on FOX, sometimes.

The local FOX station airs reruns of Two and Half Men. The FOX network does not.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Family Guy
Futurama
Arrested Development
Undeclared

all were killed before their time.
Again, were these shows popular to the masses though? Or popular to those of us who liked them? Family Guy aside that is. Futurama was good, but not THAT good. Arrested Development and Undeclared I would definately throw in the "Cult" category.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron