Andrea Grove-Mcdonough leaving ISU for UNC

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Given the awful timing of AGM leaving- it is a grand slam! Cannot believe that Amy Rudolph is coaching at ISU- this is like Larry Bird coaching. I was pumped when her husband got the Drake job because that landed Drake the best volunteer women's coach anyone could ever imagine. Amy's professional background and understanding of hardcore running is more likely to mesh with Martin Smith's approach as much as anyone from the outside could. Her experience and knowledge is unsurpassed, she has experience teaching and coaching and her name recognition is elite.

Awesome news!

Hired a replacement. Doesn't scream homerun or anything but Andrea leaving just before the season sort of left us in a really weak hiring position. Feels like a stopgap placeholder hire but I am no track coaching guru.

Thoughts?

http://cyclones.com/news/2018/8/14/rudolph-names-cyclone-womens-cross-country-coach.aspx

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Hired a replacement. Doesn't scream homerun or anything but Andrea leaving just before the season sort of left us in a really weak hiring position. Feels like a stopgap placeholder hire but I am no track coaching guru.

Thoughts?

http://cyclones.com/news/2018/8/14/rudolph-names-cyclone-womens-cross-country-coach.aspx

I think it is a great hire. Considering the timing, being able to get someone with her credentials is huge to be able to relate to the runners. She won’t likely be stepping in just like Andrea, but give her time. I suspect Smith will be a bit more involved with the women’s program than he was last fall.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I certainly didn't expect a hire that good given the circumstances. Amy Rudolph is a big name in the US women's distance running world and she has coaching experience.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Leaving ISU may end up being one of the biggest mistakes of her career

Wow! Talk about not even getting a chance before a new track coach lets everyone go and brings in his own cross country coach with him from Stanford.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What in the world happened? Is it as simple as a new head coach bringing in their own staff? Both teams did well last season after AGM left. If we keep our current coaches and athletes, we should continue to perform well.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Women's program is pretty much empty except for Logue in XC and the hurdlers on the track. HUGE attrition. Need some transfers in or else women won't be in upper half of league in either track or XC.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Women's program is pretty much empty except for Logue in XC and the hurdlers on the track. HUGE attrition. Need some transfers in or else women won't be in upper half of league in either track or XC.

We return 7 of the 10 who ran at the Big12 meet last season. Logue, Amanda Vestri, and Larkin Chapman were all in the top 12. Karly Ackley, Morgan Gigandet, Adrianna Krammerer, and Gwynne Wright all ran at the Big12 meet and return for 2019.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
We return 7 of the 10 who ran at the Big12 meet last season. Logue, Amanda Vestri, and Larkin Chapman were all in the top 12. Karly Ackley, Morgan Gigandet, Adrianna Krammerer, and Gwynne Wright all ran at the Big12 meet and return for 2019.
You run only 8 in postseason and score 5. Unless you are the iSU men and run only 5 at conference. :)
Vestri is gone, Chapman is a nice runner and the others (excluding Logue), unless greatly improved will not do better than 2nd but most likely 3rd- 5th is more realistic. Okie State wins easily given our roster condition.

Track- we have the look of a program that will finish below 5th in Indoor and outdoor. Granted, all of this is on paper but the talent level is severely lacking.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron