And the 2021 Best Burger is...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Reactions: NWICY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Curious what the criteria is. I've never even heard of the place in the Top 10 from Dubuque, and I live here. Bambino uses Kwik Star buns? Hmmm...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Curious what the criteria is. I've never even heard of the place in the Top 10 from Dubuque, and I live here. Bambino uses Kwik Star buns? Hmmm...
All the info about the contest is on the IBIC website. Simply: the burger must be 100% real beef patty and served on a bun or bread product. The nominations come from customers. Sorry, there's not more than the original release. I guess they hide the rules, etc. once the entry deadline is over. https://www.iabeef.org/about-us/newsroom/news/details/23140/search-begins-for-iowas-best-burger

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Customers nominate, the top 10 vote getters get visits from the burger committee they decide who wins last I knew.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I've driven by that place hundreds of times...never stopped, or even heard they had good burgers. I guess I know where I'm stopping next time I go that way.

Reactions: Al_4_State

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Based on the map of the top 10. Looks like folks west of Pella don't know how to make a good burger!!

Pretty Weak;)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
When you said there was a place in the top 10 from Dubuque, I was maybe expecting to see Dubuque Mining Company or Paul's Tavern. I've never heard of Foodie Garage Eatery either.

Foodie Garage is on University across from the Happy Joes. Same area as Jack's Chicken Palace.

I have never had a burger there, but pretty solid bar type food. It's been open less than a couple years.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Went to their website and facebook page promoting beef yes, putting down alternative proteins (it sure isn't meat) I didn't see. But throw out half lies and see if they fly.
It's run by the Iowa Beef Industry Council. The only rule to be eligible for the contest is to be made of beef. The more popular alternative meat becomes the less beef is sold. It's not hard to figure out the connection.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They won because the restaurant is promoting beef and crapping on alternative meats.

For starters.......vegetables and legumes processed, seasoned and pressed into a patty doesn't magically make them a "meat". And second....with the number of alternatives there are out there they could easily have a contest of their own to see who makes the best alternative, right? People who want to find out what are the best tasting apples don't complain there aren't any oranges in the contest. Regardless......the alternative industry is pulling no strings crapping on the livestock industry so why not dump on them? What's that saying "my food craps on your food".

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
For starters.......vegetables and legumes processed, seasoned and pressed into a patty doesn't magically make them a "meat". And second....with the number of alternatives there are out there they could easily have a contest of their own to see who makes the best alternative, right? People who want to find out what are the best tasting apples don't complain there aren't any oranges in the contest. Regardless......the alternative industry is pulling no strings crapping on the livestock industry so why not dump on them? What's that saying "my food craps on your food".
I'm not surprised that the beef company only allows beef burger entries. But to say that what Dirt Burger creates isn't a burger, or an impossible burger isn't a burger, is wrong. It's not the Best Meat Burger Contest.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
6f14078d9d8ed0d6995bd2187ca960f4.gif

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The term “veggie burger” predates meat substitutes by decades. Nice try though.

Yeah, most small town diners have always had a "veggie burger" listed that just means a burger with the LTOP on it. It didn't originate as a shot at vegetarian options. That may be shifting now, but people shouldn't assume shots are being taken.