Ames vs. Iowa City

avery_larry

May 9, 2006
Ames
Someone help me out--why is Ames considered such a worse destination than Iowa City? The rest of the nation talks about ISU in general and Ames in specific as a difficult sell for great coaches to stay long term (they MUST be thinking stepping stone in ISU). Why don't we hear the same things about UI?

Ted

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I think with the Fan turnout, donor numbers, and city popullation, and school tradition, IC out scores Ames big time.

All schools can be a stepping stone, but it depends on where the coach wants to go.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It's pretty easy... Iowa City is a lot more developed than Ames. I went to high school in IC, so I can easily tell you that it was a step down moving from there to here for school.

The only thing that ISU has that Iowa doesn't is a beautiful campus, which is ultimately why I chose ISU over Iowa. Unfortunately, coaches that come here don't live on campus.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
It's not a worse destination, it's a more challenging destination. This is because of the things that have been accomplished in Iowa City that haven't yet in Ames, but also because of differences between the two conferences and the two schools' locations geographically within those conferences.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It's not a worse destination, it's a more challenging destination. This is because of the things that have been accomplished in Iowa City that haven't yet in Ames, but also because of differences between the two conferences and the two schools' locations geographically within those conferences.

That's something I forgot to mention -- there's a ton of potential for Ames to become comparable to Iowa City, it's just that we're a couple of steps behind. I keep hearing about the mall that no one wants built, which is a shame because I think the Coralridge Mall single handedly boosted the Iowa City area's population.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
You have to look at it in terms of the conference you are in. Iowa City is still right in the base market of the Big 10. Ames is the furthest North team of any Big XII school and we are right in mix of Big 10 country. I would think that is really the difference they are talking about. Geographically, there isn't much difference. Yeah, Iowa City may have more hills, maybe be more developed? but, in the end it's where you are relative to your conference and recruiting base. I'd say Minnesota may here similar things about their location relative to the rest of the Big 10.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
Iowa City is also known as a more liberal community whereas Ames is fairly conservative for a college environment.

I agree with cyclonekj though...it is harder to sell an athletic department that has fewer traditions and overall accomplishments.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
i might head to IA city for the game dec 8...guess i'll know more then. I for one love ames. Been here since i was 2. I spent last summer in miami and two summers ago living in the mountains yet both summers I still missed ames and the cyclone community even more!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
What other things set us apart Airwalke?

I guess another thing would be the fact that downtown and the Iowa campus are literally attached at the hip. I think ISU could still have a great campus and still have downtown right next door, but it hurts that it's so far away in terms of walking distance.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
One of the best medical colleges in the nation ==== big $$$$$$

not too say Ames doesnt have anything, because it does with the one of the best Vet schools and the agriculturial centers...but Iowa City has long been known as one of the best Medical colleges in the US.

There is always the talk about more bars and better social scene in Iowa City also, but that doesnt really matter now with IC changing the age limit to get in. And the fact that half of Iowa City residents that are downtown are homeless.

H

HGPuck

Good medical school not one of the best, if you want one of the best in the country you would have to travel from IC down to St. Louis.

avery_larry

May 9, 2006
Ames
It's pretty easy... Iowa City is a lot more developed than Ames. I went to high school in IC, so I can easily tell you that it was a step down moving from there to here for school.

The only thing that ISU has that Iowa doesn't is a beautiful campus, which is ultimately why I chose ISU over Iowa. Unfortunately, coaches that come here don't live on campus.
Hmmm. Good first hand observations. I'd pretty much heard the opposite--that IC is a lousy place to live but that's probably from people like myself that think Ames is Mecca.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
in regards to comparing the towns themselves, amyK33 hit it right. Compare the ped mall in IC (bars, restaurants, music scene etc..) to anything similar in Ames. I love Ames, but I also love Iowa City, I have lots of fond memories in both towns.

In regards to coaching, you have to look at the monster Hayden Fry built in the 80s. Iowa was a media darling and was the first program to start challenging the OSU-Michigan strangle-hold on the big 10, similar to what CU started to do to Oklahoma and Nebraska in the late 80s early 90s. It's all about the money and tradition, and unfortunately, they have more over there, plain and simple.

avery_larry

May 9, 2006
Ames
I think with the Fan turnout, donor numbers, and city popullation, and school tradition, IC out scores Ames big time.

All schools can be a stepping stone, but it depends on where the coach wants to go.

winning=more fans/donors/tradition though I concede those points in a general way--more curious about the city/geographic location in specific.

IC population 62,000
Ames population 51,000

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
What other things set us apart Airwalke?

EIU has the more highly thought of advanced degree programs, ie - the medical school and the law school. That leads to the placement of three major medical centers in Iowa City (University, Mercy & Veterans). With all these alumni doctors and attorneys tooling around town, housing prices are driven higher and there's frankly more money to be donated to the university. Service industries and contractors benefit from all the rich folks (recent article in paper that somebody paid $5000 to have Christmas lights put up), generating even more rich folks!

One of the city council members, in their on-going debate on the 21 Ordiance for bar entry, frequently says something stupid like, "why would we want to do anything like Ames?". There is a definite "superiority complex" and I think it trickles down to the universities.

I frequently make the comment as follows: EIU produces doctors, lawyers and social workers; ISU produces engineers and scientists. Which sets are generally more useful to the world?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Hmmm. Good first hand observations. I'd pretty much heard the opposite--that IC is a lousy place to live but that's probably from people like myself that think Ames is Mecca.
Not at all. I'm from Iowa City, too. (Proud graduate of City High.) I absolutely love the city, and I love living there. It's a really great place to raise a family; very comparable to Ames except in size. Odd though it may be, I'd really like to end up there if/when I'm starting a family.

It's got a lot of things that Ames doesn't, which is partly due to geography. Iowa City is one anchor of the "Technology Corridor" (which runs up to Cedar Rapids) and gets a lot of high-tech development, which spurs residential and commercial development. Cedar Rapids is generally treated as a more industrial city. Ames doesn't get nearly as much of that type of development because we're so close to Des Moines. Any company that thinks about moving here just figures "well why not go 30 minutes south instead?" I think Ames' growth in general is slower because of the proximity to Des Moines.

Honestly? I think Ames and Iowa City could become almost identical. Ames is on the exact same development track that Iowa City was; Ames is just not as far down that road. Iowa State continues to attract and create its own high-tech, and when that reaches critical mass in the university community, we will start attracting and retaining outside development.

avery_larry said:
IC population 62,000
Ames population 51,000
Well, Iowa City proper is 62,000. The whole metro (Iowa City, Coralville, University Heights, North Liberty) is just over 100,000 people- that's a fair bit larger than Ames.

AirWalke is right- Coral Ridge Mall is responsible for an incredible amount of growth over the last 6 or 7 years. North Liberty is exploding, and real estate prices in the whole area keep going up, even while the rest of the state and country is in a decline.

All of this said, I still like Ames really well. There are plenty of times when I enjoy the fact that Campustown is the sole dominion of the college students; we don't have to worry about every last thing being family-friendly. Moving from Iowa City to Ames (which seems like a small town in comparison) was a big change, but I really enjoy the atmosphere here. It's a nice community, and you feel at home; like you belong here. My feelings are summed up best when I realized over Thanksgiving that no matter which city I'm in, I'm still a little homesick...

Last edited:

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Although there are differences, I think they are more similar than different in how they effect recruiting and hiring coaches. Both are small cities in the Midwest. If you are comparing that to big cities like Minneapolis or Chicago, or cities in the south or in Texas, the atmosphere would be much different than either Iowa town. I think Iowa's advantage in being able to out-recruit ISU in football has more to do with Iowa being a Hawkeye state (even if we hate to admit it) and the tradition built by Hayden Fry.