Ames PD investigating female student death

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Did they ever decide or figure out what happened in this case? Like why he ended up in that building?
If I remember correctly he was intoxicated but they believed he was aware enough to realize he was lost and in dangerous cold temperatures. He broke into the barn to try to stay warm but still froze to death.

Reactions: Scott34

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If I remember correctly, Tridelts parking lot is isolated and along other residential backyards so unfortunately it doesn’t get the foot traffic of non-resident pedestrians who could have seen her sooner. Many other sororities and fraternities have parking lots that connect to each other and get a ton more foot traffic. Just unfortunate all the way around. I feel horrible for her family, her sorority sisters, and the ISU community.

Reactions: Acylum

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Very sad deal. Sounds like the students are just moving in and nobody noticed her.
"Tuttle said the woman was last seen late Thursday night, and police suspect she was laying in the parking lot for several hours before she was found."

This is hard to fathom. The parking areas around the Tri-Delt house are still in the center of a very congested area. This is a whole lot different than along side some rural county road.
If exposure to cold is the cause of death, I would think lots of questions are going to be asked.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
"Tuttle said the woman was last seen late Thursday night, and police suspect she was laying in the parking lot for several hours before she was found."

This is hard to fathom. The parking areas around the Tri-Delt house are still in the center of a very congested area. This is a whole lot different than along side some rural county road.
If exposure to cold is the cause of death, I would think lots of questions are going to be asked.

Not that unbelievable. People don't pay attention to their surroundings. And if it's cold mostly rush to their car and back.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Not that unbelievable. People don't pay attention to their surroundings. And if it's cold mostly rush to their car and back.
I dont want to be cynical but a lot of people walk with their eyes focused on a phone.
Could have happened here, could have happened to any people that potentially walked by.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
What a sad story. I know I stumbled home from welch Ave more than a time or two. Sometimes by myself. Just one little bit of bad luck is all it takes :(

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I left the Cave Inn one night through the back and started running to get home didn’t realize there was 8’ retaining wall along Stanton. I almost ran off it, and probably would have killed myself. All of the sudden I just stopped short of the wall. I thanked the good Lord for stopping me that night.

Reactions: agentbear

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
She must have hit pretty hard because you really shouldn't be unconscious for more than a couple minutes unless you're in tbi territory

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

Daughter of major medical company CEO and MN Supreme Court judge
I have a social climber sister that qualifies all situations in the same manner

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I left the Cave Inn one night through the back and started running to get home didn’t realize there was 8’ retaining wall along Stanton. I almost ran off it, and probably would have killed myself. All of the sudden I just stopped short of the wall. I thanked the good Lord for stopping me that night.
I was studying at Design building one night and was considering cutting through on walk way. I didn’t realize it was elevated until the final moment.

Reactions: agentbear

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I was studying at Design building one night and was considering cutting through on walk way. I didn’t realize it was elevated until the final moment.
Used to work in design library, know exactly what you're talking about.