Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Let's be honest... most (or all) of the bars in Campustown are below average if you've traveled outside of Iowa. I mean they definitely get the job done but I have always been one to say that the people you are with make it a good (or bad) time regardless of the establishment.
We are losing recruits because the bar bar is so low. Add a Twin Peaks and a bigger plusher sports bar.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
My first year at ISU, I lived in Friley, and at that time there was a Burger King pretty much right next to People's Drug store.

I have no idea how that Burger King didn't make it there? We'd go there a lot and it was usually very busy. Kids would buy a $3 combo meal, and just stay there and study and get free refills all night.

Re-living all these college memories only reinforces that those years at ISU were the best years of my life.... by FAR! And kids that don't enjoy the college life are doing themselves a big disservice.

I know a lot of kids these days that come home every single weekend from college. Wut? I was so glad to get away from home. I stayed up in Ames over the summer and went to summer schoool my last 2 years there, mostly so I didn't have to go back and live at home again.

Speaking of bars, I also enjoyed Thumbs a lot too. As you can tell, I liked mellow bars where people just lounge around and talk and enjoy good drinks and music..... Thumbs and Lost and Found. We used to play a lot of pool at Thumbs. It was so small back there they had a sawed off pool stick to use for the shots where the wall was too close to you to use the regular sized stick. It was great times!

Last edited:

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Still there and the building is going to get a facelift; at least on the first floor. The plywood is going to be taken off to expose the original brick. They are one of the first recipients of the new Campustown facade grant program. West St Deli is another recipient of $$.

I lived in an apartment above Jeff's for a year...that whole building desperately needs upgrading. But I do miss having Jeff's Pizza in my basement!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For as pretty and awesome as the ISU campus town area is, the bars and food options blow. I've been to a lot of B12 towns and we are at the bottom for dining and drinking.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
For as pretty and awesome as the ISU campus town area is, the bars and food options blow. I've been to a lot of B12 towns and we are at the bottom for dining and drinking.

I wonder what it would be like if Main Street and Campustown weren't so far apart. Would probably resemble Aggieville or downtown Lawrence a little more.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
main street isn't great but getting better. i too have always thought it would be great if they were more connected. i took the bus a couple times in college but it was not convenient. there should be a bus there and back once an hour Friday Saturday.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Agreed. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of investment into the bars themselves, so they are all pretty divey compared to most college towns. Northgate at A&M isn't too special either, but the bars are still better than CTown.

Lol, seriously?

The Dixie Chicken was fun, but I've never been in a place that reeked so strongly of urine.

Having traveled around the Big 12, the college bars in Ames are pretty similar to the college bars in the other college towns. I'm referring to Manhattan, Morgantown, Stillwater, and Lawrence in particular. The big cities like Ft. Worth and Austin have totally different and much more varied options. With the others, you're pretty much splitting hairs.

I would agree that the food options in Campustown are less than other towns. The bars seem about the same to me though. Could be the types of bars I end up at, too.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I agree Al. In places like Mpls or Austin the college bars kind of blend in with some townie bars so the comparison isn't apples to apples. Even Lawrence has non-college bars on Mass Ave. The brewing company and another one I can't think of (on the west side on a corner) come to mind.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My Frriday night back in the day.... People's for some FAC, stop by Mickey's for a game of pool, then enjoy the night at Cy's Roost outside.