• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Let's be honest... most (or all) of the bars in Campustown are below average if you've traveled outside of Iowa. I mean they definitely get the job done but I have always been one to say that the people you are with make it a good (or bad) time regardless of the establishment.

Agreed. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of investment into the bars themselves, so they are all pretty divey compared to most college towns. Northgate at A&M isn't too special either, but the bars are still better than CTown.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Lets be real honest the only bar in that location that was awesome was Peoples. Anyone under 30 doesnt know what I mean.

giphy.gif

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Agreed. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of investment into the bars themselves, so they are all pretty divey compared to most college towns. Northgate at A&M isn't too special either, but the bars are still better than CTown.

Its a hard sell for bar owners to drop money into the bars when the students treat them like crap. Just look at the decline in es tas bathrooms.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Is Jeff's Pizza still there?

Still there and the building is going to get a facelift; at least on the first floor. The plywood is going to be taken off to expose the original brick. They are one of the first recipients of the new Campustown facade grant program. West St Deli is another recipient of $$.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Let's be honest... most (or all) of the bars in Campustown are below average if you've traveled outside of Iowa. I mean they definitely get the job done but I have always been one to say that the people you are with make it a good (or bad) time regardless of the establishment.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for dance clubs or big trendy places with bottle service then yeah... the bars in Ames are dumps if you have any frame of reference. But if you're looking for a quality dive to spend an evening in I'd put Welch Ave Station up there with pretty much anywhere.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for dance clubs or big trendy places with bottle service then yeah... the bars in Ames are dumps if you have any frame of reference. But if you're looking for a quality dive to spend an evening in I'd put Welch Ave Station up there with pretty much anywhere.

I'll 100% agree with that.