Ames High hires new Football Coach

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Bruce Vertanen was a senior when I was a freshman at DM Hoover. Outstanding guy. He wore the goggles and head-faked three or four times before he shot! So fun to be around, but I haven’t spoken to him lately.

Reactions: WhoISthis

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Pretty sure this is the son of one of my father's best friends. Just checked and it is. His father Jack is great, one of my favorite coaches that I ever had growing up.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Bruce Vertanen was a senior when I was a freshman at DM Hoover. Outstanding guy. He wore the goggles and head-faked three or four times before he shot! So fun to be around, but I haven’t spoken to him lately.
When I played (Class of 99), "Vert" was the DC/DL coach. I played center so didn't interact with him often, but he always seemed like an enthusiastic, engaging coach.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Thought he underachieved when he didn’t have elite skill players at that level. For whatever reason it seemed like the beef on the lines disappeared in Ames in the early 2000s. Gleaned more from assistants and position coaches in my time there. Still had a good run.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Thought he underachieved when he didn’t have elite skill players at that level. For whatever reason it seemed like the beef on the lines disappeared in Ames in the early 2000s. Gleaned more from assistants and position coaches in my time there. Still had a good run.

Ames definitely took a step back from its glory days, but that had more to do with the changing demographics of the town and a lot of university employees (and therefore their kids) choosing not to live in Ames itself.

Bruce was a definite improvement from Jimmy Burrow, who was pretty inept as a Head Coach. I have no idea how that guy was a successful assistant at the college level when he was a terrible head coach at the high school level. Both of them couldn’t hold a candle to Kirk Daddow. I was at Ames from 99-03 and really was disappointed when he retired from coaching the year before I started playing.

Reactions: cycloner29