Amazon Prime Day 2017

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Roku vs Fire TV

My wife just got a new work from home gig so we set her up an office. It would be a pain to run another cable into the room for our Dish so I was thinking about getting her a Roku or a Fire TV box. I'm pretty naive when it comes to both...do either the Roku or Fire TV have a Dish Network app were we could stream our Dish channels to the TV we set up in her office?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Yah I looked at cyclones.tv last week and didn't see a Fire TV app yet (no Apple TV app either, just AirPlay). I would think that's got to be in the works.

I've got plenty of Rokus that I could swap in for the few ISU games on cyclonesTV. I'm getting frustrated with the lack of Roku updates. PlaystationVue, Spotify, etc.
You should be able to sideload the cylones.tv android app on a fire tv. It's an extra step, but not too difficult.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Roku vs Fire TV

My wife just got a new work from home gig so we set her up an office. It would be a pain to run another cable into the room for our Dish so I was thinking about getting her a Roku or a Fire TV box. I'm pretty naive when it comes to both...do either the Roku or Fire TV have a Dish Network app were we could stream our Dish channels to the TV we set up in her office?
Looks like you can use Dish Anywhere on Fire TV
https://www.dish.com/dig/news/stream-dish-anywhere-amazons-fire-tv/

I don't think Roku has a Dish channel.

Reactions: jj-cyclones

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm so lame, but any deals on khakis and dress slacks? I need to restock my work supply.
jimpants.0.gif

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
My bedroom tv took a crap I believe. Thinking about pulling trigger on that $399

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
The Fire TV, Echo and Dot are all up for those interested. I just picked up an Echo.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Missed out on a bunch of glitched game prices. People getting the crash bandicoot remaster for $6. I assume they will get cancelled though so oh well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have an Echo, a dot, and Google home. If I could do it all over I would go with Google home.

Why do you say this?

Ive got one dot, but its hard to justify going google home when they only offer the $100/each option

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Why do you say this?

Ive got one dot, but its hart do justify going google home when they only offer the $100/each option

Just because it works better at this point. The Echo works good for the basics like controlling lights, TV, etc but is pretty bad at answering questions/search.

mschmitty17

Mar 16, 2017
Des Moines
I looked at the page and I don't see the samsonite one. Am I missing it somewhere? My luggage is getting pretty ragged so I might just on that deal.

If I were you I'd check Groupon, they always seem to have some good luggage deals. I got a carry on size hard shell suitcase that retails at $160 for $30 and it seems pretty decent quality.

Reactions: Judoka

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I got an Echo Tap for my parents for Christmas - got one last year's Prime Day and love it. The streaming apps plus portable bluetooth speaker combo is great. And slightly less creepy since you (supposedly) have to press the button for it to "listen"

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Roku vs Fire TV

I bought both and hooked both up, and found the FireTV interface more user friendly. Plus the voice search for Amazon prime video. The main advantage to the Roku is it will search across multiple platforms.

If you consider getting rid of the Dish, PSVue (works via FireTV or Roku) has a lot of channels and free cloud DVR - I think that made it way better than Sling and I assume most of the other options.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Roku vs Fire TV

We just cut the cord last week. Stopped the $144 per month Dish subscription and switched to a Fire stick with the DirecTV Now app for $40 a month.