AM590 Omaha suggesting Pollard as next Nebraska AD

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Not sure that a "football" school and it's fan base would be to excited about hiring a guy who's biggest accomplishment as an AD is cutting a successful football program from his current school.
The perception from people I've heard complaining about that move was that they thought he did it so UNO wouldn't compete for recruits and resources against the Huskers. They felt his Husker roots influenced that decision (although I don't think it had anything to do with the decision). So I guess what I'm saying is that cutting the UNO football program would have no bearing on the perception of Alberts as a good candidate.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
lets see Fuskers looking for a national championship , don't think it is JP

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure that a "football" school and it's fan base would be to excited about hiring a guy who's biggest accomplishment as an AD is cutting a successful football program from his current school.
Sure they would. It's more apt to think Alberts has already been working for the best interests of UNL for the past few years while at UNO.

• Agree
Reactions: sunset and ILikeCy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would assume that Jamie Pollard loves Ames and would want to retire here. On the other hand, if the Wisconsin AD job came open, I would think he would sit down and seriously discuss his options.

They'll have to drag Barry out of his office on his 90th birthday first.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
The perception from people I've heard complaining about that move was that they thought he did it so UNO wouldn't compete for recruits and resources against the Huskers. They felt his Husker roots influenced that decision (although I don't think it had anything to do with the decision). So I guess what I'm saying is that cutting the UNO football program would have no bearing on the perception of Alberts as a good candidate.

Sure they would. It's more apt to think Alberts has already been working for the best interests of UNL for the past few years while at UNO.

I agree that his previous workings have been suspicious in regard to football. I honestly think he would do a good job, he understands his job is to be CFO of the athletic department and that is were he thrives. He is also passionate about the Huskers, which is what it takes to put up with their fans.

The problem comes with the public perception of what he has done, here in Nebraska the mob rules. Uninformed Husker fan (redundant) will think he is purposely tanking the program the second they don't win.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree that his previous workings have been suspicious in regard to football. I honestly think he would do a good job, he understands his job is to be CFO of the athletic department and that is were he thrives. He is also passionate about the Huskers, which is what it takes to put up with their fans.

The problem comes with the public perception of what he has done, here in Nebraska the mob rules. Uninformed Husker fan (redundant) will think he is purposely tanking the program the second they don't win.
You have it backwards on public perception. He likely just made a prudent financial decision to cut FB at UNO, but to the Husker mob he supported the UNL monopoly. Cutting UNO football is nothing but a highlight on Alberts resume to those inbreds.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So.... is this right?

kNU football not a national thing
kNU football apathy from fanbase
kNU wanting what ISU has.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just waiting for the package deal to be announced after ISU's playoff appearance this year... Campbell and Pollard to Nebraska
giphy.gif

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
And the expectations of Nebby fans continues to amaze me. They dream of sugar plum fairies when it comes to anything connected to football. Just a month ago the radio stations here were predicting Tanner Lee would throw for 3,500 yards, 30 TD's, and 5 Picks. Well, he has excelled at the picks...and may get the TD's if you count all teams.

I don't know if Nebby ever rises above what they have been the past 6 years...restricted recruiting base, fans who dream of the 90's, and countless former players that take to the media to voice their opinions on everything.

The thing is that when you look back at their program success in the 90's and all the rumors swirling about player conduct, it isn't a lot different than Baylor. There were plenty of talk of domestic abuse and drugs that went unpunished. The lack of social media and cell phone cameras allowed them to keep the domestic abuse under wraps. Without that, would Nebraska have been what they were?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The thing is that when you look back at their program success in the 90's and all the rumors swirling about player conduct, it isn't a lot different than Baylor. There were plenty of talk of domestic abuse and drugs that went unpunished. The lack of social media and cell phone cameras allowed them to keep the domestic abuse under wraps. Without that, would Nebraska have been what they were?
I think the perception is that every elite program has skeletons in the closet. But do you honestly think what went on in Lincoln could even come close to what happened at, say, Miami under Jimmy Johnson? I think Nebraska was relatively clean by comparison.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think the perception is that every elite program has skeletons in the closet. But do you honestly think what went on in Lincoln could even come close to what happened at, say, Miami under Jimmy Johnson? I think Nebraska was relatively clean by comparison.

Yes, I do think Nebraska had the same types of skeletons in their closet as Miami. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't think that.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

Coach Tom used to have to go bail Johnny Rogers out of jail so he could play on Saturday. True story...

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Yes, I do think Nebraska had the same types of skeletons in their closet as Miami. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't think that.
30 for 30 has an episode ready about the program but they just don't know what to do with it or present. Talk around here was they got a lot of people talking on camera about bad stuff that went on and the show really went in the direction of a hit piece.

• Informative
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Haha, good one!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron