All-Time Starting 5 on a budget

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Saw this tweet through BHGP, which turned it around into an Iowa salary cap draft. It's actually pretty fun coming up with the different combos and then picking the one that's best. You get 15 bucks to pick a starting five, with five options at each position ranging from $5 to $1.

For my money:

PG-Oscar Robertson ($4)
SG-MJ ($5)
SF-Pippen ($1)
PF-Duncan ($3)
C-Shaq ($2)

The other option that most appealed to me was going with Isaiah Thomas ($3) at the point and trading Shaq for Wilt ($3). That defense would be insane.

BovVSXBIQAA_QYr.jpg

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
PG - Oscar Robertson ($4)
SG - Michael Jordan ($5)
SF - Kevin Durant ($2)
PF - Kevin Garnett ($1)
C - Wilt Chamberlain ($3)

We are kinda similar, but I'll take my KD/Garnett/Wilt over your Pippen/Duncan/Shaq.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Saw this tweet through BHGP, which turned it around into an Iowa salary cap draft. It's actually pretty fun coming up with the different combos and then picking the one that's best. You get 15 bucks to pick a starting five, with five options at each position ranging from $5 to $1.

For my money:

PG-Oscar Robertson ($4)
SG-MJ ($5)
SF-Pippen ($1)
PF-Duncan ($3)
C-Shaq ($2)

The other option that most appealed to me was going with Isaiah Thomas ($3) at the point and trading Shaq for Wilt ($3). That defense would be insane.

View attachment 26886

I agree with your choice pretty much. MJ is the only $5 that is a must have I think (although you might make a case for LeBron), and Shaq for $2 is a steal.

CyBraveBear

Sep 28, 2011
Shawnee, KS
PG-Isiah Thomas ($3)
SG-MJ ($5)
SF-Pippen ($1) I wanted Larry but Scottie was too much of a value at $1
PF-Round Mound of Rebound ($4)
C-Hakeem ($1)

I saved a dollar and will be using that to bring Shawn Kemp or Dennis Rodman off the bench. And yes, I know Kemp and Rodman aren't on that list.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Interesting. I'd take:

PG - Stockton ($2)
SG - Jordan ($5)
SF - Lebron ($5)
PF - Dirk ($2)
C - Hakeem ($1).

Although, I would also be tempted to pick Shaq ($2) instead of Hakeem and Garnett ($1) instead of Dirk. Got to have a facilitator PG to go with all these big time scorers and alpha dogs. Stockton fits the bill.

Edit: I'm assuming these players are all playing during their prime.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
What?? No Anthony Bennett? But he came out of UNLV and their high flying offense...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This is really difficult.

Big O ($4) - I think there's a significant drop off after him at this position.
Jordan ($5) - Same, I think there's a big drop off after Jordan.
Durant ($2) - Wish I could afford Bron or Bird but I want the guards more. I think Durant is much better than Pippen so I won't go that cheap here.
Duncan ($3) - It's what I had left. I like Dirk, but it's kind of difficult to pick him because he's really best on a team that needs his scoring, and I'd prefer to get more rebounding and defense out of this position in this situation.
Olajuwon ($1) - Great value at $1. Great defender.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This is really difficult.

Big O ($4) - I think there's a significant drop off after him at this position.
Jordan ($5) - Same, I think there's a big drop off after Jordan.
Durant ($2) - Wish I could afford Bron or Bird but I want the guards more. I think Durant is much better than Pippen so I won't go that cheap here.
Duncan ($3) - It's what I had left. I like Dirk, but it's kind of difficult to pick him because he's really best on a team that needs his scoring, and I'd prefer to get more rebounding and defense out of this position in this situation.
Olajuwon ($1) - Great value at $1. Great defender.

The main reason I think Pippen is the way to go is because of his defense. When you're talking about a lineup with Big O, MJ, Duncan and Wilt, you don't really need Durant's offense. Pippen was arguably the best defender of his generation, and he was still a pretty solid scorer, too. Not that you really NEED his defense when you've got the other four guys, either. But that defense would be insane.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Stockton $2
MJ $5
KD $2
Duncan $3
Shaq $2

And a dollar to spare which I will give to either KD or Shaq because they are a steal at $2.

Stockton and Duncan running the pick and roll, MJ doing everything, KD as perimeter assassin and Shaq cleaning up the trash, protecting the paint, ripping rebounds and pulling rims down. This lineup would decimate.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Three Jordan's and we'll just play a couple guys down.

The amount of trash talk alone would break the spirit of any team that was pitted against my three man juggernaut.