All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Not even you can believe your BS here and if you really do think this then trying to have a discussion with you is pointless. I will do us both a favor and just go back to laughing at your posts for awhile.

And I will save you from posting this, that is one way to wave the white flag.
Wait, let me get this straight. You think long passes down field should have a higher completion percentage than short passes, bubble screens, lateral passes, etc???

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I didn't get to watch the Clones. What was the passing game? Was it Purdy, offensive line, or receivers? Hall is a beast and it looks like he had another great day. If Clones can win out he could win the Heisman.
Offensive line massively under performed and I would say was 70-80% of the passing game issues. Purdy just didn't have any time to make reads and was constantly pushed out of the pocket. Having two of our main starters out really hurt and it finally showed when playing OSU as they have a very good front 3. Purdy played great, IMO, all things considered. He didn't force too much under the massive amount of pressure he had, but that last 20-30% can all go right on receivers dropping balls that hit them in the hands (Kolar had 4 receptions on 11 targets YIKES) and self-inflected wounds in terms of penalties. You aren't going to beat the six ranked team in the country committing 9 penalties for 70 yards (a good portion of these were false starts)

• Agree
Reactions: 1776 and Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Offensive line massively under performed and I would say was 70-80% of the passing game issues. Purdy just didn't have any time to make reads and was constantly pushed out of the pocket. Having two of our main starters out really hurt and it finally showed when playing OSU as they have a very good front 3. Purdy played great, IMO, all things considered. He didn't force too much under the massive amount of pressure he had, but that last 20-30% can all go right on receivers dropping balls that hit them in the hands (Kolar had 4 receptions on 11 targets YIKES) and self-inflected wounds in terms of penalties. You aren't going to beat the six ranked team in the country committing 9 penalties for 70 yards (a good portion of these were false starts)
I think one of the biggest things so far in regards to our below average passing attack has been Tarique Milton getting injured and not being able to play. Last year, when pressured, Jones was a tremendous safety net in being able to get open when Purdy was under duress. Milton can do the same thing but he obviously hasn't been playing.

Okie State was pinning their ears back constantly and flying at Purdy but we had no one to sling the ball out to on a consistent basis. Getting Milton back will be huge and luckily we get Kansas next as that will be a good time for all of our receivers to figure their stuff out. Right now, Hutchinson has proved to be the only receiver Purdy can count on. Scates, Shaw, and Wilson can't get open on their own consistently.

Either way, last game we had opportunities to win the game. O-line play was sub-par and even so, our guys left plays out on the field. Kolar cannot drop that pass, our O-line can't have that many penalties, and for god sake you can't miss a chip shot field goal on the road against a top-10 team. Win 3 out of the next 5 and we're likely in the CCG.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
So how are Iowa fans feeling after that loss this weekend?
Not great obviously but not horrible either. A lot of correctable things. 10 penalties for 100 yards was a killer, the 2 fumbles both cost us points on good drives, Petras overcooked a few throws that were there. Those are all correctable. The biggest concern I have after game 1 was generating a pass rush with the front 4. They have to put more pressure on the QB. Brightest spot was that the running game looked decent with a lot of differing looks.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not great obviously but not horrible either. A lot of correctable things. 10 penalties for 100 yards was a killer, the 2 fumbles both cost us points on good drives, Petras overcooked a few throws that were there. Those are all correctable. The biggest concern I have after game 1 was generating a pass rush with the front 4. They have to put more pressure on the QB. Brightest spot was that the running game looked decent with a lot of differing looks.
That's good. My focus was on the ISU game but I did watch bits and pieces of the Iowa game. I think Iowa's going to have another very close game this weekend against Northwestern. Lose that game and there are only 3 more wins on that schedule.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That's good. My focus was on the ISU game but I did watch bits and pieces of the Iowa game. I think Iowa's going to have another very close game this weekend against Northwestern. Lose that game and there are only 3 more wins on that schedule.
Is Northwestern worse than Purdue?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is Northwestern worse than Purdue?
I'm honestly not sure how good a lot of teams are in the Big 10 this year as they've only played 1 game, but Northwestern absolutely beat down Maryland. They won 43-3, put up 537 yards, QB play was efficient, but their rushing attack had 325 yards and 4 TD's.

Now, Maryland is no doubt bad, but last year this would've been a game because NW was just as bad. It's been one game so we don't know how good or bad Iowa's defense really is, but it certainly didn't look great against Purdue and Iowa's offense is going to be playing against a much better defense.

Vegas has Iowa (-2.5) and I think if it were @ NW, the line would be flipped. An interesting one.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Why didn’t Kirk take this game seriously?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm honestly not sure how good a lot of teams are in the Big 10 this year as they've only played 1 game, but Northwestern absolutely beat down Maryland. They won 43-3, put up 537 yards, QB play was efficient, but their rushing attack had 325 yards and 4 TD's.

Now, Maryland is no doubt bad, but last year this would've been a game because NW was just as bad. It's been one game so we don't know how good or bad Iowa's defense really is, but it certainly didn't look great against Purdue and Iowa's offense is going to be playing against a much better defense.

Vegas has Iowa (-2.5) and I think if it were @ NW, the line would be flipped. An interesting one.
That's big time optional defense, and Northwestern had one of the worst offenses in P5 college football history last year.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1776 and Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's big time optional defense, and Northwestern had one of the worst offenses in P5 college football history last year.
Yes, they were horrific. A lot of that had to with their QB play, which was essentially non-existent with their three QB's throwing for a combined 6 TD's to 15 INTS. They brought in Indiana's QB from two years ago who lost his spot to the stud there now. Ramsey went 23-30 for 212 yards and 1 TD on Saturday.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Northwestern was tied for 11th most Big Ten preseason All Conference guys ahead of only Michigan State, Rutgers and Maryland

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Yeah. I am definitely not sold on NW. They beat a Maryland team with the worst head coach in the FBS

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah. I am definitely not sold on NW. They beat a Maryland team with the worst head coach in the FBS
While true, they didn't just beat them, they embarrassed them. And Purdue was without their head coach AND their best player. Don't be shocked if NW not only keeps it close, but wins as well.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I think one of the biggest things so far in regards to our below average passing attack has been Tarique Milton getting injured and not being able to play. Last year, when pressured, Jones was a tremendous safety net in being able to get open when Purdy was under duress. Milton can do the same thing but he obviously hasn't been playing.

Okie State was pinning their ears back constantly and flying at Purdy but we had no one to sling the ball out to on a consistent basis. Getting Milton back will be huge and luckily we get Kansas next as that will be a good time for all of our receivers to figure their stuff out. Right now, Hutchinson has proved to be the only receiver Purdy can count on. Scates, Shaw, and Wilson can't get open on their own consistently.

Either way, last game we had opportunities to win the game. O-line play was sub-par and even so, our guys left plays out on the field. Kolar cannot drop that pass, our O-line can't have that many penalties, and for god sake you can't miss a chip shot field goal on the road against a top-10 team. Win 3 out of the next 5 and we're likely in the CCG.
I honestly hadn't considered Milton, but you make an excellent point. When a defense is sending that much pressure you need to be hitting quick routes in the space they just left. Which means you need someone with good hands and speed. That's is Milton through and through. I believe I saw some crazy stat out there in regards to his total dropped passes vs targets. He almost NEVER drops passes if they are catchable. Combine his sure hands with I think Milton runs the best routes out of anyone on our team and he is extremely fast. That gives you a big void especially in pressure situations. We just don't have anyone who plays his position as well as he does. Jackson (the true freshmen) will be great imo but he needs time.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10