All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So accuracy is what you value? You must be concerned that Purdy is at 61% this year after 5 games.
You didn't answer my question but yes accuracy is the most important thing for a QB in the passing game, especially in today's game when timing is so essential

May 7, 2020
@1776 Did you mean to say yesterday Petras showed he had a strong arm and not a good arm? I assume that's what is happening here because I know they've said since day one he can throw it hard

No, I think his accuracy will get better. But as you know I have been wrong before.

May 7, 2020
So when you say good arm you meant strong arm?

Lol, I think he does have a strong arm and after a one game sample size I think he has a good arm. His accuracy will be fine in my opinion. What does his completion % need to be, in your opinion, for him to have a good arm? Or what criteria should I be using to define good arm?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Lol, I think he does have a strong arm and after a one game sample size I think he has a good arm. His accuracy will be fine in my opinion. What does his completion % need to be, in your opinion, for him to have a good arm? Or what criteria should I be using to define good arm?
Iowa has had one season in the last decade where the starter completed 60% of their passes. That's a good start

I do think QB rating is the best criteria to measure a QBs passing abilities. It doesn't show the whole picture but it's the best out there IMO

May 7, 2020
Iowa has had one season in the last decade where the starter completed 60% of their passes. That's a good start

I do think QB rating is the best criteria to measure a QBs passing abilities. It doesn't show the whole picture but it's the best out there IMO

Thanks for answering my question and I do think that QB rating is a good measure.

I also think that Iowa's offense and overall philosophy contributes to not having a QB with a completion % over 60. Does that mean that Beathard didn't have a good arm? And no I am not comparing Petra's to CJ.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Thanks for answering my question and I do think that QB rating is a good measure.

I also think that Iowa's offense and overall philosophy contributes to not having a QB with a completion % over 60. Does that mean that Beathard didn't have a good arm? And no I am not comparing Petra's to CJ.

What about Iowa's offense hinders the QB's completion percentage?

Beathard was the one QB and that was his junior year when he was very good. He wasn't very good as a senior

May 7, 2020
What about Iowa's offense hinders the QB's completion percentage?

Beathard was the one QB and that was his junior year when he was very good. He wasn't very good as a senior

So his arm went from very good to not very good?

Maximizing protection, not spreading the field, and playing conservatively all contribute to lower completion % than most offenses in the big 12. Iowa wants to control the clock and play sound defense. This philosophy drives me crazy but it has resulted in a pretty good run the last few years.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Maximizing protection, not spreading the field, and playing conservatively all contribute to lower completion % than most offenses in the big 12.
He definitely regressed yes

This actually sounds like it would help your completion percentage. The Big Ten had two QBs this week complete 95% of their passes. This isn't a Big Ten vs Big 12 thing lol

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and GTO

May 7, 2020
He definitely regressed yes

This actually sounds like it would help your completion percentage. The Big Ten had two QBs this week complete 95% of their passes. This isn't a Big Ten vs Big 12 thing lol

So Iowa's offense is essentially the same as ISU's and the rest of the Big 12?

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY and jmb

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
So his arm went from very good to not very good?

Maximizing protection, not spreading the field, and playing conservatively all contribute to lower completion % than most offenses in the big 12. Iowa wants to control the clock and play sound defense. This philosophy drives me crazy but it has resulted in a pretty good run the last few years.
That should actually have the opposite effect from what you're saying. In-rhythm, short completions over and over should make for a really high completion percentage.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1776 and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That's fair, which means that Purdy has definitely regressed since his Sophomore season.
He was better last year than he has been so far this year. He's running the ball well this year though. He's still very accurate but a lot of his TD passes aren't there because of Hall

May 7, 2020
No. Iowa's offense is more friendly for a QB to complete passes in. More time to throw the ball and you're making conservative throws

Not even you can believe your BS here and if you really do think this then trying to have a discussion with you is pointless. I will do us both a favor and just go back to laughing at your posts for awhile.

And I will save you from posting this, that is one way to wave the white flag.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not even you can believe your BS here and if you really do think this then trying to have a discussion with you is pointless. I will do us both a favor and just go back to laughing at your posts for awhile.

And I will save you from posting this, that is one way to wave the white flag.

That's one way to wave the white flag

• Haha
Reactions: 1776