All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
McDonald will have his shot to make this list. He's a true sophomore. He should not be on this list though right now. Peterson is clearly above him at the moment. Last year as a RS FR, he had 41 tackles (23 solo), 2 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles, one of them on kickoff. He's going to be really really good by the time he's done, as "Will" McDonald.

I just want to point out the McDonald had basically the same stats as AJ Epenesa did his first year at Iowa, and hawkeye fans deemed him to be the best DE in the state after that year. So hawkeye fans either have to say McD deserves on the list or they were morons for their homerism with AJ.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just want to point out the McDonald had basically the same stats as AJ Epenesa did his first year at Iowa, and hawkeye fans deemed him to be the best DE in the state after that year. So hawkeye fans either have to say McD deserves on the list or they were morons for their homerism with AJ.
I will not be throwing that tag on him as the best defensive end as of right now. I think he has the potential to be very very good, but we'll have to wait and see!

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Lol you beat me to the point I was setting up those guys for.

Reactions: BCClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Who were ISU's starting DEs coming into AJE's sophomore year?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Mic drop

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Funny you ask. JaQuan Bailey coming off a 23 tackle 3.5 sack season. Those stats look familiar?

Yeah and Bailey was one of the DEs on that All-Iowa roster, no doubt about it. Who was the other ISU DE that should've been on there over AJE?

Your effort at a point was just not a very good one. If ISU had another DE in addition to Bailey who had over 3 times as many tackles as AJE and was 2nd team All-Conference, I'd have said that guy deserves the spot. That wasn't the case, like it is this year with Golston > McDonald. Sorry.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah and Bailey was one of the DEs on that All-Iowa roster, no doubt about it. Who was the other ISU DE that should've been on there over AJE?

Your effort at a point was just not a very good one. If ISU had another DE in addition to Bailey who had over 3 times as many tackles as AJE and was 2nd team All-Conference, I'd have said that guy deserves the spot. That wasn't the case, like it is this year with Golston > McDonald. Sorry.
AJE wasn't even good enough to start, so how could he be the best DE in the state?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Duh. You're better than this.

You asked who started at DE for us, so I was wondering why we only got to consider the starters. Who were Iowa's starters that year? I don't remember. I believe one was always mentioned as a lock for the list with AJE, so I'm trying to remember all involved.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

1. You asked who started at DE for us, so I was wondering why we only got to consider the starters. Who were Iowa's starters that year? I don't remember. I believe one was always mentioned as a lock for the list with AJE, so I'm trying to remember all involved.

I believe Hesse started for him and he was basically a poor man's JD Waggoner

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You asked who started at DE for us, so I was wondering why we only got to consider the starters. Who were Iowa's starters that year? I don't remember. I believe one was always mentioned as a lock for the list with AJE, so I'm trying to remember all involved.

Parker Hesse was in on the first defensive snap of the game. Iowa shuffles in DL a lot more than is typical, I think. So just because you don't "start" doesn't mean you're not getting just as many, if not more snaps.

Main point, coming into AJE's sophomore year did ISU have another DE in addition to Bailey who you think should've been on the All-Iowa roster instead of AJE? Did ISU have another DE who had stats/accomplishments relative to AJE similar to what Golston has relative to McDonald?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Parker Hesse was in on the first defensive snap of the game. Iowa shuffles in DL a lot more than is typical, I think. So just because you don't "start" doesn't mean you're not getting just as many, if not more snaps.

Main point, coming into AJE's sophomore year did ISU have another DE in addition to Bailey who you think should've been on the All-Iowa roster instead of AJE? Did ISU have another DE who had stats/accomplishments relative to AJE similar to what Golston has relative to McDonald?

Twins post jogged my memory. It was Anthony Nelson. Hawk fans were saying Anthony Nelson was a lock. Who are you saying was better going into AJE's soph year? Nelson or AJE?