All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I was agreeing with you in the comp statement. Purdy has really changed this team, he is similar to kempt in that he doesn't get crazy from a mistake. He also goes to his play makers, Zeb would sometimes try to find the "right" guy instead of sometimes just putting it up for butler or jones and saying, go get it. That is why they are play makers, they make it happen, let them do it.

He is different in he can run, this allows montgomery to have more space. I wondered if Zeb was told not to run since KK was hurt, but thinking back to last year, he did not run then either. The play that soured me on zeb (I think it was OU) was a zone read where he handed off and did a nice job with the play fake, only issue was he went 20 yards with nobody even looking at him since they knew he wouldn't keep the ball.

I totally agree about a running QB in CMC system. I think ultimately QB is the biggest drawback of the spread offenses. You simply have to have a good QB who is able to run period. Yet if they are JUST a running QB or JUST a passing QB, the offense isn't as good. You gotta find that guy who can run and can make defenses pay with his arm as well. So yeah I agree Purdy is better than Kempt or Zeb at that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I totally agree about a running QB in CMC system. I think ultimately QB is the biggest drawback of the spread offenses. You simply have to have a good QB who is able to run period. Yet if they are JUST a running QB or JUST a passing QB, the offense isn't as good. You gotta find that guy who can run and can make defenses pay with his arm as well. So yeah I agree Purdy is better than Kempt or Zeb at that.

This is why Jantz was king of the hawks. Iowa basically played a tampa two type defense then. Jantz was very dangerous with his legs, when not fumbling off them. He would force the safeties to come up and if you remember, he would drop a long pass over the top of the safeties. He was big enough to take a hit and that was helpful.

Other teams could take away Jantz by basically forcing him to run and drilling him downfield. They wouldn't suck up and let the over the top pass happen.

RedBayou

Jun 27, 2018
What's going on?
source.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It’s more a product of playing in such a weak conference for me- If Iowa State doesn’t win at least 8 games in the down Big XII, I’d be pretty surprised.

You realize ISU is going to have a tougher SOS than Iowa this year right?