Alex Mackall Transferring to ISU

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
While I agree with most your post, Dresser has had a fair amount of success with guys like Haught, Walz, Sal M. All are closer to being ranked #100 in their class. But we do need our share of David Carr's. But to think we are going to out recruit PSU, Ohio State, etc, seems to be a stretch right now

Yeah. Being able to attract blue chips is absolutely essential but Iowa State isn't going to be able to pull them in like Penn State or Ohio State where they are willing to come for book money. They're gonna cost and that means less money elsewhere when there's only 9.9 scholarships to go around. Plus If your recruiting plan is "just get guys who can step on campus ready to be finalists" then you are in for disappointment. Even Iowa and Oklahoma State have to take guys that are top 100 and turn them in to AAs.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Was Wilcke ranked in the top 100 seniors coming out of high school? He is ranked in top 5 now I think for Iowa

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Was Wilcke ranked in the top 100 seniors coming out of high school? He is ranked in top 5 now I think for Iowa

Pretty sure he was. D1CW had him at #86. Flo had him ranked as high as #6 at one point at 182 pounds before he committed to Iowa.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Why can't ISU pull in recruits like that in the future? One of the most storied programs in history (probably the 3rd most storied) - a blue blood type program, we have one of the highest salary pools in the country for our staff..we have a wrestling crazy state that would get behind the program big time when they start winning..we are starting to fund an RTC like we will need to..i don't see any reason why we can't recruit like they can in the future. We are building the way need to..just need to have a strong class next two years and we will be solid in years 3-5 and on..

Like my post before said..we need in the starting lineup:
2-3 top 10 kids: Carr & Gomez (actually 11th but I'm counting him)
3-4 top 35 kids: Foca, Colbray, Storr
3-4 top 60 kids: Coleman, Shapiro, Gremmel,
1-2 top 100 kids: Degen, Parker, Simmons, Leisure, DiBlasi

Reactions: ca4cy

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
Why can't ISU pull in recruits like that in the future? One of the most storied programs in history (probably the 3rd most storied) - a blue blood type program, we have one of the highest salary pools in the country for our staff..we have a wrestling crazy state that would get behind the program big time when they start winning..we are starting to fund an RTC like we will need to..i don't see any reason why we can't recruit like they can in the future. We are building the way need to..just need to have a strong class next two years and we will be solid in years 3-5 and on..

SimpsonCyclone. If you read my post? We are on the same page. We need to have wrestlers that will become 3 and 4 time All Americans. Iowa State should be in the hunt every year and in the top 5 all the time.
With Carr,Foga,Gomez,Coleman,& Degen. Iowa State is heading in the right direction. Picking up Shaprio, Storr, Leisure, & others in the top100 will get us to the top sooner. Cashman would really help.

• Winner
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
SimpsonCyclone. If you read my post? We are on the same page. We need to have wrestlers that will become 3 and 4 time All Americans. Iowa State should be in the hunt every year and in the top 5 all the time.
With Carr,Foga,Gomez,Coleman,& Degen. Iowa State is heading in the right direction. Picking up Shaprio, Storr, Leisure, & others in the top100 will get us to the top sooner. Cashman would really help.
My man! 100% agree. I have a feeling we are going to have a super class next year. We are targeting big fish next year. Foca is just the beginning
We will be back soon

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

We will pull some of those recruits for sure. And though the club is improving it just still very far short of the high level programs. Also, no one will touch PSU and Ohio State unless they are willing to play hard and fast with club and regional funds like they are. Especially PSU. Schools like ISU and Iowa won't play that game. So, we can and will get much better due to support, coaching and tradition but touching those schools is unlikely. And I'm OK with that. Being a top 5-10 program would be great with me and with KD I think we get there.

Muskyhunter

May 3, 2006
Sherry hasn't seemed to develop a whole lot during HS. He was one of the bigger names in the youth AAU circuit. Nobody wanted to line up against him. Shapiro was a late grower, so he was in the heart of the kids volume if not a little lighter and was known as extremely great at technique but needed muscling. Too many times kids that grow early and get quick muscle get used to horsing competition around and don't progress with technique. The youth heavy that was the buzz of the youth AAU was max Lyon, never understood why we weren't crossing paths with him as a freshman. Kids celebrated making a minute on him.

Sherry's only loss was to a state champ from Nebraska this year. Other loss was to injury default that was legit. He has won 2 big tournaments this year including CB Classic where he faced good competition and SE Polk. He has been trying to settle on a weight class. His other state tourny losses were to Coleman (ISU) and Lyon (Purdue) so he has faced great competition. I think he can be a kid that develops with this current staff if he adjusts to college well.

djhart69

Feb 1, 2017
I kept asking myself when we were finally going to show some improvement and it has happened in the past 5 days. A month ago we couldn't have beaten Oregon State and definitely not Virginia. Even if we go 0-3 for the rest of this tourney, we've finally seen some positive results!!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We might be competitive in the silver division.

There I go getting my hopes up now!!!

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We will pull some of those recruits for sure. And though the club is improving it just still very far short of the high level programs. Also, no one will touch PSU and Ohio State unless they are willing to play hard and fast with club and regional funds like they are. Especially PSU. Schools like ISU and Iowa won't play that game. So, we can and will get much better due to support, coaching and tradition but touching those schools is unlikely. And I'm OK with that. Being a top 5-10 program would be great with me and with KD I think we get there.

Agree that PSU and tOSU seem to be on another level due in large part to what they are able to offer post grads to stick around. They just carry too much clout on the recruiting trail and that is aided by geography. The other thing PSU does better than anyone else is scoring bonus points in March. What their studs rack up is basically like having another AA. Talent is a big part of that, but mindset has a lot to do with it too.

That said, there's no reason we can't consistently be a top 10 team that competes for titles every few years. We can't go years at a time without national champs, let alone AAs. We need to get back to 5+ guys scoring points we can hope for a bad tournament from the big boys and let the chips fall. I agree that Dresser and Co are the guys we need here to get back to being a program that matters.

Reactions: NEICyFan