ALAMO BOWL!!!!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Is this a quicker route than just staying on 35 through Austin?
I-35 from north of Austin (Georgetown) to San Antonio is very heavily traveled and goes through downtown Austin. That's basically 107 miles of urban development, one long city. Thus traffic does slow down compared to the 80+mph that you can do on toll road #130. The speed limit on I-35 is gradually reduced down to 60 mph as you get into Austin and you'd be lucky to do that most of the time. In addition, if there is a fender bender or worse along that section or construction, etc. you can be stopped in traffic for a very long time.

Texas specifically built toll road #130 to relieve the traffic congestion and accidents on I-35 and they have gone out of their way to encourage thru traffic to take the #130 bypass, including making it free to out of state drivers.

So, yes as Gorm has said, toll road #130 is a quicker route around Austin than I-35 through downtown. And toll road #130 can be taken all the way down to I-10 and then take I-10 west into San Antonio to avoid I-35 from Georgetown south to San Antonio entirely.

Last edited:

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
Here's a tip from the snowbird RV community for taking Texas 130/45 toll road around Austin. After taking the exit off of I-35 onto Texas 130/45 toll road ( #130 southbound and #45 northbound) in a few miles you will come to a toll booth. As you approach the toll booth stay in one of the two left lanes designated "Pay by Mail".

Don't be concerned with paying. So far, Texas has not been mailing toll bills for out-of-state vehicles. I was tipped off to this by people on a Snowbird RV forum that I am active on. Since being tipped off I have done this numerous times and have never gotten a toll bill from Texas. The last time I did it was in March of 2017.

If they have started sending out toll bills since then, you will have still saved time by not stopping at the toll booth (I noticed quite a long line at the toll booths as I bypassed them).

In addition, the toll road is fairly nice and new, lightly traveled, and has a speed limit of 80 mph. Hint: in the times that I have taken it, I have never seen a patrolman on it. Rather than getting back on I-35 south of Austin you can continue on Toll Rd 130 south to I-10 and then take I-10 west into San Antonio. Nice, fast route.

View attachment 60761
Went to the TCU and Texas games and used the tollways and express lanes frequently. Still have yet to receive anything regarding payment.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Are most people from central IA just going straight down I-35 through KS and OK? Or are you taking the route through MO and eastern OK?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
That eastern OK route is pretty bad. The cities have fought the state like hell to keep that road going right through all of their towns. I would avoid it unless you like to stop. I-49 on Missouri is ok though.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: cstrunk and aauummm

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Are most people from central IA just going straight down I-35 through KS and OK? Or are you taking the route through MO and eastern OK?
The eastern Oklahoma route does take you through some more scenic areas of Oklahoma and is mostly a nice drive, but be very aware of speed traps at all the towns you go through on US 69. We drove that route home from the Texas game last month and there were town cops everywhere on that road...Otherwise, like I said, nice drive, no traffic and decent scenery for Oklahoma.

Reactions: cstrunk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I did the Eastern route on the way back from a game (maybe aTm). Stumbled across a "fried pie" gas station. Southern glorious heart cloggers.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The eastern Oklahoma route does take you through some more scenic areas of Oklahoma and is mostly a nice drive, but be very aware of speed traps at all the towns you go through on US 69. We drove that route home from the Texas game last month and there were town cops everywhere on that road...Otherwise, like I said, nice drive, no traffic and decent scenery for Oklahoma.

Good info. I'm looking for the fastest way down, so I figured the I-35 toll road through KS. I've driven to OKC a lot for a previous job and always took I-35 with no issues, but was just curious of a faster route.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I hear you, but just roll with it. I am

Most people aren’t awesome enough to pound IPA’s for an 8 hour tailgate. So for an 8-10 hour beer drinking marathon most of us pick a domestic light and Busch Light is the crowd favorite. That doesn’t mean we don’t all enjoy a few micro’s at a shorter time frame.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Good info. I'm looking for the fastest way down, so I figured the I-35 toll road through KS. I've driven to OKC a lot for a previous job and always took I-35 with no issues, but was just curious of a faster route.
I'd say it's about a wash time-wise. I think the eastern route is about 20 miles or so shorter, but you lose that time slowing down for Muskogee and Mcalaster.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Most people aren’t awesome enough to pound IPA’s for an 8 hour tailgate. So for an 8-10 hour beer drinking marathon most of us pick a domestic light and Busch Light is the crowd favorite. That doesn’t mean we don’t all enjoy a few micro’s at a shorter time frame.

I want to like you, but I HATE your avatar. :mad:

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I want to like you, but I HATE your avatar. :mad:

I think it is fine. I didn’t like it at first, but then it grew on me and I decided the main reasons I didn’t like it were 1) internet group think and people telling me I shouldn’t like it, and 2) it looked very bad on red helmets. But, I have wanted a tornado logo for a long time and unless they bring back the old one (and we won’t because it is toxic to a large group of our donor base), this may be as good as we get. And I’m okay with that.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I am feeling really good about this game for a few reasons. 1. We have weeks to prepare. Giving Campbell and Heacock time to prepare/game plan which usually bodes better for us than the competition. 2. Our defense Has been fantastic against the air raid this year (OU, WVU, OSU, TTU) 3. We are playing a non-big 12 team that hasn’t watched extensive video of Campbell’s teams for the last 3 years preparing for us and other teams in the Big 12. 4. Cyclone Nation and the team are pumped to be in this game and will have an extra gear. WSU seemed a little bummed to end up there and may still be down. I hope they aren’t because it is always more exciting football when both teams are amped, but it is a possibility. Go Cyclones!!! Bring home the Alamo Bowl trophy!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I am feeling really good about this game for a few reasons. 1. We have weeks to prepare. Giving Campbell and Heacock time to prepare/game plan which usually bodes better for us than the competition. 2. Our defense Has been fantastic against the air raid this year (OU, WVU, OSU, TTU) 3. We are playing a non-big 12 team that hasn’t watched extensive video of Campbell’s teams for the last 3 years preparing for us and other teams in the Big 12. 4. Cyclone Nation and the team are pumped to be in this game and will have an extra gear. WSU seemed a little bummed to end up there and may still be down. I hope they aren’t because it is always more exciting football when both teams are amped, but it is a possibility. Go Cyclones!!! Bring home the Alamo Bowl trophy!

So you like that we have a month to prepare for Washington St, but Leach and his staff won't have time to watch extensive video of Iowa State?

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt