Alamo Bowl moved to January

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This is one of my favorite bowl games, year in and year out. I love it because of the Big 10-Big 12 tie in, plus, I think it might be the best city to actually go to a bowl game for, due to the proximity of everything being downtown along the Riverwalk. When ISU goes to this game, trust me, you will all talk about how much fun it was.

I totally agree. Those years we made it to the Independence Bowl, I was dying to make it to the Alamo. All we probably had to do was win one more game. Just one... I wouldn't go to Sheveport, but I'd go to San Antonio.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Sure New Year's day isn't what it use to be. But, come on I like this better since the Alamo is almost always close and entertaining and it's better than having 7 days to sit around witing for the title game since the other bowls games don't mean as much in between New year's day and title day

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I totally agree. Those years we made it to the Independence Bowl, I was dying to make it to the Alamo. All we probably had to do was win one more game. Just one... I wouldn't go to Sheveport, but I'd go to San Antonio.

In 2001, it was other Big Ten teams that prevented ISU from going to San Antonio.

On Nov. 24:
Penn State beat Michigan State, 42-37

After Nov. 24:
Purdue (6-4, 4-4)
Iowa (6-5, 4-4)
Penn State (5-5, 4-4)
Michigan State (5-5, 3-5)

On Dec. 1:
Purdue loses to Notre Dame, drops to 6-5
Penn State loses to Virginia, drops to 5-6
Michigan State beats Missouri, improves to 6-5

All of that allowed Iowa to slide up the pecking order. And since the Alamo wasn't going to touch an ISU/Iowa rematch (especially since the teams played on Nov. 24), Iowa went to San Antonio to play Texas Tech, and ISU went to Shreveport to play Alabama.

2001 Big 12 Standings (pre-bowl):
Colorado (10-2, 7-1; Big 12 Champ) -- FIESTA
Texas (10-2, 7-1; Big 12 South winner) -- HOLIDAY
Nebraska (11-1, 7-1) -- ROSE (BCS title game)
Oklahoma (10-2, 6-2) -- COTTON
Texas A&M (7-4, 4-4) -- HOUSTON (galleryfurniture.com)
Iowa State (6-5, 4-4) -- INDEPENDENCE
Texas Tech (6-5, 4-4) -- ALAMO
Kansas State (6-5, 3-5) -- INSIGHT

ISU wasn't going to play in the Insight, after being there in 2000.
A&M wasn't going to play in the Independence, after being there in 2000, or likely the Alamo (1999 appearance).
Tech wasn't going to Houston, after being there in 2000.

The prevailing thought (until Dec. 1) was: A&M to Houston, ISU to Alamo, Tech to Independence.

trippnschmidt

Oct 27, 2006
So let me get this straight, the Alamo Bowl, a bowl game with big 10 AND big 12 tie ins has moved to January and all you guys can talk about are the Hawks? I'm confused.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
In 2001, it was other Big Ten teams that prevented ISU from going to San Antonio.

On Nov. 24:
Penn State beat Michigan State, 42-37

After Nov. 24:
Purdue (6-4, 4-4)
Iowa (6-5, 4-4)
Penn State (5-5, 4-4)
Michigan State (5-5, 3-5)

On Dec. 1:
Purdue loses to Notre Dame, drops to 6-5
Penn State loses to Virginia, drops to 5-6
Michigan State beats Missouri, improves to 6-5

All of that allowed Iowa to slide up the pecking order. And since the Alamo wasn't going to touch an ISU/Iowa rematch (especially since the teams played on Nov. 24), Iowa went to San Antonio to play Texas Tech, and ISU went to Shreveport to play Alabama.

2001 Big 12 Standings (pre-bowl):
Colorado (10-2, 7-1; Big 12 Champ) -- FIESTA
Texas (10-2, 7-1; Big 12 South winner) -- HOLIDAY
Nebraska (11-1, 7-1) -- ROSE (BCS title game)
Oklahoma (10-2, 6-2) -- COTTON
Texas A&M (7-4, 4-4) -- HOUSTON (galleryfurniture.com)
Iowa State (6-5, 4-4) -- INDEPENDENCE
Texas Tech (6-5, 4-4) -- ALAMO
Kansas State (6-5, 3-5) -- INSIGHT

ISU wasn't going to play in the Insight, after being there in 2000.
A&M wasn't going to play in the Independence, after being there in 2000, or likely the Alamo (1999 appearance).
Tech wasn't going to Houston, after being there in 2000.

The prevailing thought (until Dec. 1) was: A&M to Houston, ISU to Alamo, Tech to Independence.

Actually, you would be wrong - Alamo is above the Houston and Independence in the pecking order and, if a tie results, gets to pick which team it wants before the other two.

Prior to the bowls, the records were:

Texas A&M - 7-4 (4-4)
Iowa State - 7-4 (4-4)
Texas Tech - 7-4 (4-4)
Kansas St - 6-5 (3-5)

Pecking order of the bowls are Alamo, galleryfurniture, Independence (I thought Insight was after Alamo, and if so I don't know how K-St swung that). Knowing this, if you're the Alamo Bowl, who are you going to select - a Texas school or Iowa State? If you're the galleryfurniture Bowl, who are you going to select - a Texas school or Iowa State? Iowa State slipped to the Independence Bowl because both the Alamo and galleryfurniture Bowls both wanted a local Texas school to represent their bowls, not because the Alamo Bowl was too afraid to do a Cy-Hawk rematch.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Well TV has a part in that as well. I mean other than the state of Iowa and its alumini im not sure how many people really care about and ISU vs Iowa game. The other fact is that Bowls look at teams that travel. Iowa and ISU both tend to travel well. So bowls can look at it as ok I got one of those schools coming in they will spend money in town and but up the rest of the tickets if I take an instate school that its fans will come for game day but maybe not much else. What I don't like about the bowl selection is that if you play in a title game you may end up dropping along ways in the bowl pecking order inless you are in line for a BCS berth. Happened to KSU a while back, happened to an ACC team this last year. I wish that all bowls involving BCS schools were selected on the Sunday after the championship games. That way no school has an early run at tickets for their fans and all the bowl committees get the chance to see who is in and who isn't as far as the BCS