Alabama (and EVERYONE ELSE) had to deal with COVID

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Just thought I would mention (since ESPN did this too little) that everyone (not just Alabama) had to deal with COVID this year.

But congrats to Alabama for dealing with it the best.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just thought I would mention (since ESPN did this too little) that everyone (not just Alabama) had to deal with COVID this year.

But congrats to Alabama for dealing with it the best.
It is a little easier to deal with it when if you lose a guy for a game you have possibly another 5 star -- or at worst a 4 star -- able to step in to replace him.

We saw a very high profile example of this this year in Clemson (who has fewer 5 stars on their roster than Bama). Trevor Lawrence was out and they replaced him with 5 star DJ Uiagalelei. The kid was the top pro style QB in his class and the 10th ranked recruit overall. (Interestingly he was only the 3rd best recruit in that Clemson class though!)

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
We saw a very high profile example of this this year in Clemson (who has fewer 5 stars on their roster than Bama). Trevor Lawrence was out and they replaced him with 5 star DJ Uiagalelei. The kid was the top pro style QB in his class and the 10th ranked recruit overall. (Interestingly he was only the 3rd best recruit in that Clemson class though!)
And they lost the game @ ND.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And they lost the game @ ND.
That's really not the point. Both ND and Clemson have that embarrassment of riches that the majority of other teams don't enjoy. The game likely wouldn't have been as close as it was if they only had a 3 star freshman project behind Trevor to step in and face ND.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That's really not the point. Both ND and Clemson have that embarrassment of riches that the majority of other teams don't enjoy. The game likely wouldn't have been as close as it was if they only had a 3 star freshman project behind Trevor to step in and face ND.
And it's not relevant that Alabama had the talent they had in regard to dealing successfully with Covid all year long. Dealing with Covid (which they did very, very well) has nothing to do with the players being a 5*, 4*, etc. athletes. All 130 FBS schools were capable of handling Covid properly. Both Alabama and Iowa State handled it well. Other schools did not.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And it's not relevant that Alabama had the talent they had in regard to dealing successfully with Covid all year long. Dealing with Covid (which they did very, very well) has nothing to do with the players being a 5*, 4*, etc. athletes. All 130 FBS schools were capable of handling Covid properly. Both Alabama and Iowa State handled it well. Other schools did not.
It still is a lot easier to lose a starter or two when their back up is a high caliber player rather than a scrub.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It still is a lot easier to lose a starter or two when their back up is a high caliber player rather than a scrub.
If Alabama would have lost starters due to Covid and still finished 13-0, you might have a point. However, they didn't because they were super diligent all year.

Meanwhile, Clemson had Covid issues and lost 2 games. ND had Covid issues and lost 2 games. Ohio State had Covid issues and lost a game.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't nearly the entire Alabama team have COVID earlier this summer? The reason why I recall that is because I remember joking at the time as that being one heck of a strategic play, and if anybody would be willing to do something like that, it would be Alabama. Regardless, if nearly their entire team did already experience COVID during the summer, it would absolutely affect their in-season numbers and we might need to go a bit lighter with the back-pats.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If Alabama would have lost starters due to Covid and still finished 13-0, you might have a point. However, they didn't because they were super diligent all year.

Meanwhile, Clemson had Covid issues and lost 2 games. ND had Covid issues and lost 2 games. Ohio State had Covid issues and lost a game.

Of course OSU only played an 8 game season LOL

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'd bet if you did a Top 5 for dealing with Covid, ISU would be up there.

Among states with FBS teams, Wisconsin was the worst cases per capita during football season and Iowa was the second worst.

Compare how ISU and Iowa did to how Wisconsin did. Two got by nearly flawlessly and the other was decimated.