AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think there was a time when UNI was just kind of its own thing and then as Hokdom grew so did the 'I'm a fan of them once a year' deal.

Grew up in a UNI/ISU house and I can tell you UNI was the bigger brand in Eastern Iowa by quite a bit and that was in the midst of Haydenism.

When was that? In the 1940's?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
He’ll definitely help in doing that, but I’m just saying he’s no Brockington kind of difference maker.

He would definitely help though, that’s for sure!

Geez man compare and contrast his stats to IZB prior to Brockington coming to Iowa State. Brockington isn't in the same league as Green. It would not surprise me if AJ Green was a 40/50/90 guy next year. 40% from three, 50% from the field and 90% from the free throw line. He will put up enormous numbers and is extremely efficient on the offensive end of the floor.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Here is what happened. Joey Baker for Duke put his name in transfer portal and within hours Green was on the Duke campus. That was the first sign. Now many sites have him crystal balled to go to Duke, that is second sign. Now inside information at UNI says Duke is the one. Sucks that ISU could not get him but on to the next i guess
Anyone else experiencing deja vu? This is just like when posters were telling us we were not going to get Osun.

Sometimes I suspect that premium members purposely post for free the opposite of what is being told on the paid forum. Just for fun. Not saying that applies here, but I do think it happens. I hope I'm wrong. I'm either astutely aware, or unusually skeptical.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Anyone else experiencing deja vu? This is just like when posters were telling us we were not going to get Osun.

Sometimes I suspect that premium members purposely post for free the opposite of what is being told on the paid forum. Just for fun. Not saying that applies here, but I do think it happens. I hope I'm wrong. I'm either astutely aware, or unusually skeptical.
Yep, premium members love throwing curveballs to non-premium members. Nice thought, but I got better ways to spend my time.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah and Snydes

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017

From my month on the premium board in April, I can say that didn't happen once.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones01

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
From my month on the premium board in April, I can say that didn't happen once.
That's exactly what someone who was misleading us would say.

18832963.jpg

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
No doubt it was the final addition of Izaiah Brockington. He was our 'last piece' in the recruiting class, and turned into our best player. He literally took us to the next level.

Similarly, AJ Green could make as big a difference, or even more, potentially, to this years team.

Fingers crossed.
While I agree with you, this evaluation was in 'hindsight'. I was curious how that poster's opinion compared to last years' pivot point 'before' the season started.

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
I’m not a premium member, nor do I have a crystal ball. So I need to depend on what makes sense. I start with asking the question why would AJ consider a Duke offer. Yes, it is a blue blood, thanks in part to Coach K. But he’S no longer there. I’m sure it’s flattering to be offered by Duke, no matter who the coach, but the state of Iowa is where AJ’s long term future lies - not Durham, NC.

AJ wants to make it to the League. Is Duke going to do a better job preparing him than ISU?

TJ is a tremendous recruiter and coach, Kyle Green is his assistant, so AJ will be wearing cardinal and gold next year.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008

Only thing premium let’s them know is stuff a little sooner! It all comes out eventually!

• Optimistic
Reactions: IASTATE07

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Goodman fired off a few tweets the other day about it, too. Basically saying he's headed to Iowa State and it's hard to beat dad in recruiting.
Lots of Benjamin Green will beat just one Kyle Green unfortunately.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Fascinating thread. I've literally been watching AJ Green for eight years, with four in the MVC at Cedar Falls High and another four in the MVC at UNI. He's a nice player and it'd be a nice story if he played his COVID bonus with his dad at ISU, but his acquisition certainly doesn't strike me as a "make or break" event. JMHO.

I grew up in small-town central Iowa, left the state for 15 years after ISU, and have now lived in Iowa City for 22 years. I know many UNI alum and sadly, would estimate that >75% of them identify as hok fans. I fail to understand this, as UNI has winning programs across the board and is a likeable school with a fine reputation. Sad.
I lived in Cedar Falls for a decade and met one UNI fan that also rooted for ISU. Plenty of good people there regardless. There were Lots of fans of out of state teams or just not into college sports. The biggest issue for ISU fans was not being able to even get games on the radio. I kid you not, one time the ISU Mens basket coverage was preempted for Cedar Falls high school girls basketball. It’s hard to believe the ISU game wouldn’t drive more ad dollars. When the press doesn’t cover your games it is hard to grow a fan base. I would bet there are more options to get ISU sports there now.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I lived in Cedar Falls for a decade and met one UNI fan that also rooted for ISU. Plenty of good people there regardless. There were Lots of fans of out of state teams or just not into college sports. The biggest issue for ISU fans was not being able to even get games on the radio. I kid you not, one time the ISU Mens basket coverage was preempted for Cedar Falls high school girls basketball. It’s hard to believe the ISU game wouldn’t drive more ad dollars. When the press doesn’t cover your games it is hard to grow a fan base. I would bet there are more options to get ISU sports there now.
I lived in Cedar Falls from 1981-1985, as a student at UNI. Knew at least a dozen that were both Panther fans and Cyclone fans. At
least four are current season football ticket holders at ISU.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC