AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Maybe some on the board would not agree. But is adding AJ Green, Jeremiah Williams, and Jalen Holmes a net gain when losing Tyrese?

AJ is a much better shooter than Tyrese and Holmes and Williams seem like strong defense guys (and capable scorers). We will be good again next season.
AJ Green is a net gain over Tyrese. Will the other 2 make up for the loss of Brockington? I think so. There is serious reason for optimism.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Offensive upgrade, defensive downgrade. Tyrese Hunter is going to be one of the best defenders in the country next year.
While a great defender, I have to wonder along with CW and BB if it was significantly boosted by the system. I mean the whole team was pretty good at defense last year coming in as mostly average to nobodies (#5 kenpom defense). He will probably end up on another good defensive team though, 4 of his 6 are top 17 D's.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
While a good defender, I have to wonder along with CW and BB if it was significantly boosted by the system. I mean the whole team was pretty good at defense last year coming in as mostly average to nobodies (#5 kenpom defense). He will probably end up on another good defensive team though, 4 of his 6 are top 17 D's.

It’s his steal ability that makes him an elite defender. He just has a really nice talent for it. It’s only going to get better as the game keeps slowing down for him.

He’s no slouch on the ball either.

Reactions: isutrevman

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
AJ Green is a net gain over Tyrese. Will the other 2 make up for the loss of Brockington? I think so. There is serious reason for optimism.
AJ and Tyrese about a wash for next year, if Tyrese goes pro after a year then not much lost but AJ will be out of eligibility.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It’s his steal ability that makes him an elite defender. He just has a really nice talent for it. It’s only going to get better as the game keeps slowing down for him.

I think I'll miss him more on offense, cool calm demeanor bringing it up and distributing under pressure. But maybe I'm negatively biased for watching 3 of last 4 seasons where I was just hoping we could get the ball over half court every possession.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think I'll miss him more on offense, cool calm demeanor bringing it up and distributing under pressure. But maybe I'm negatively biased for watching 3 of last 4 seasons where I was just hoping we could get the ball over half court every possession.

TH is just a good ******* player that’s all there is to it. He’s a straight baller. Anyone smoking the copium on him is dubm. I’d rather have TH than AJ Green on my team if I had my choice.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
AJ and Tyrese about a wash for next year, if Tyrese goes pro after a year then not much lost but AJ will be out of eligibility.
A wash? Personally I'd much rather have AJ, at least with the limited talent we have coming back. If he had people to pass to Tyrese is fine, but he doesn't have the size or the shooting to carry a team.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A wash? Personally I'd much rather have AJ, at least with the limited talent we have coming back. If he had people to pass to Tyrese is fine, but he doesn't have the size or the shooting to carry a team.

Breaking: we aren’t going to the Sweet 16 with our offense next year either.

Our squad finally “plays defense” and “EFFORT! (= playing defense on this site) and all I see is people crying about offense and STILL no one understands there are trade offs on offense that have to be made to facilitate that level of defense at the mid-tier P6 level we are in.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

He's average at best on ball, he got picked on a lot and being undersized hurt him but he was a frosh in the big 12, that's to be expected. He was amazing at steals though, it's the equivalent of having an elite shot blocker, this is just on the front end of the defense instead of in the paint. It's honestly probably easier to find shot blockers than guys with TH's ability to play passing lanes. Getting a defensive presence at the 5 is about the only way we could hope to be as good defensively as last year.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm not sure it's worth arguing between the two, I'm fine with either would prefer both.
He's average at best on ball, he got picked on a lot and being undersized hurt him but he was a frosh in the big 12, that's to be expected. He was amazing at steals though, it's the equivalent of having an elite shot blocker, this is just on the front end of the defense instead of in the paint. It's honestly probably easier to find shot blockers than guys with TH's ability to play passing lanes. Getting a defensive presence at the 5 is about the only way we could hope to be as good defensively as last year.
It's not hard to upgrade our post defense...or offense for that matter.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This will be very dependent on where he ends up. Not every team will stress defense like Otz does.

His ability to get steals (of which most come from sniping passing lanes) isn’t really affected by that. He may even be more dangerous in that regard in a less disciplined system. Look at his list, he’s not going to a school that doesn’t have a coach that is so stupid to not use it. These coaches are just like we are, they don’t want him for his offense. They want him for his toughness and his disruption.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Top 3 in stealing the ball, or top 3 in getting the ball stolen from him? He seem to get his pocket picked quite a bit last year in conference play.

Seems many people here think TH will not get better nor gained a year of experience last year as a freshman starter in the best conference in America on a sweet 16 team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron