AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think it's just people sick of seeing others brow beat a kid, that's all.

A kid who could have backed out of his LOI as soon as Prohm was let go.....
....a kid who as a freshman point guarded a mish mash work of players and helped TJ in his first year and Iowa State to 22 wins and a sweet sixteen.

That's all.

Mish mash work of players to 22 wins and a Sweet Sixteen. Looking forward to TJ doing some outstanding coaching again. Amazing how he finds a way to win with a mish mash work of players.

Reactions: NWICY

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Yep.......with the help of a stud freshman point guard TJ did an outstanding job.

Ok try to look at it objectively. Tyrese played very well at the end of the year, but let’s not pretend he was great the whole season. He was serviceable for 2/3 of the year with a few flashes and the last 1/3 he was good. He was great for one game. Not having Brockington is a much bigger deal than losing Tyrese.

Reactions: Westside clone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If my kid was an elite athlete and could help a team I coach or go play for a blue blood like Duke, he/she would be coming to play for the team I coached. Doing anything else would be ********. He should have already been in Ames. If he goes pro then so be it.

I wonder if some of you actually have kids. First off it wouldn’t even be a question where they were going. If it was, it would be short lived.

Boy this is an all-time bad take on here.

As a parent I cannot imagine wanting to strong-arm your kid into playing for you. If his dream is to play at Duke, I wouldn't want to feel like I was the one who kept him from that. Once basketball is done you're left with being his parent-- why would you want that resentment?

I'd be all for him coming to play for me, but only if it was his decision and his decision alone.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

As a parent I cannot imagine wanting to strong-arm your kid into playing for you. If his dream is to play at Duke, I wouldn't want to feel like I was the one who kept him from that. Once basketball is done you're left with being his parent-- why would you want that resentment?

I'd be all for him coming to play for me, but only if it was his decision and his decision alone.
Strong arm? Why wouldn’t he want to? He could have probably played for Duke or a similar blue blood out of high school but chose UNI. There’s only one thing more important than family and it ain’t basketball.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If my kid was an elite athlete and could help a team I coach or go play for a blue blood like Duke, he/she would be coming to play for the team I coached. Doing anything else would be ********. He should have already been in Ames. If he goes pro then so be it.
Blink once if your name is Fran.
Blink twice if your name is Margaret.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021

I'm pretty sure CyLite is trolling on this, but there is an old-school mindset from when you only had kids so they could help you on the farm. You give them all they need to live in their developmental years and in exchange they give up any personal dreams they have to work for you and eventually take over. Of course, history is littered with examples of how this just bred resentment and ruined lives.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Strong arm? Why wouldn’t he want to? He could have probably played for Duke or a similar blue blood out of high school but chose UNI. There’s only one thing more important than family and it ain’t basketball.

I agree with but not on your premise. From a basketball standpoint AJ is going to be able to slot right in to his dad’s system and is also already familiar with our returning players. he’s also guaranteed to start and get huge minutes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Wait timeout you think AJ Green could have gone to Duke out of high school?

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Hmm, playing 12-15 mins a game at Duke or 35 mins a game at ISU in the best basketball conference in the country to finish out your career with your dad when the whole point of him coming back is to prove he’s one of the best