AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Would be a nice addition and a needed addition. Playing in the best conference and doing well would really help his draft stock.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You are right.

Although his recruitment was a bit strange because most just assumed he would go to UNI. But Virginia was a major player.
Virginia is where I predict Hunter will go. No source or info, just my 'throw a dart' prediction.

Reactions: madguy30

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Does anybody think it just might be possible that AJ wants to explore a university 'outside' of Iowa, or not be under the scrutiny of UNI fans for playing for a somewhat rival and them having to read about it in the daily paper, or having already played w/his Dad previously, he may want to experience another set of coach's philosophy?? I guess I just worry that if he was such a likely commit for us, it would have happened by now. Hope I'm wrong.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Absolutely Green is an outstanding player to potentially get at this point in the game. I would be thrilled if he committed. But it's totally fair to have questions about him. I have questions about his driving and finishing ability in the Big 12. But shooting always transfers and at the very least he's a massive upgrade and the most proven piece on the roster immediately if he commits.
You can be very effective at any level if you can do one thing extremely well. I doubt we are recruiting him as a slasher. Admittedly, I have only seen him limited times. My expectations: great spot up 3 point and free throw shooter. Good passer. Decent mid range game. Not sure I expect him to take it to the rack much. No clue on his defense. Maybe our UNI guy can correct my expectation.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
CW mentioned on KXNO that it isn’t a foregone conclusion that AJ winds up in Ames, and that he may transfer to a school like Villanova. This was before the weird timing of Jay Wright hanging it up. He later backpedaled and said that his Dad being the assistant would play a big role in his decision. The ONLY way AJ is NOT a Cyclone is if he’s getting information he could get guaranteed money in the NBA. Just my opinion. 0 % chance he goes anywhere else with the college ranks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does anybody think it just might be possible that AJ wants to explore a university 'outside' of Iowa, or not be under the scrutiny of UNI fans for playing for a somewhat rival and them having to read about it in the daily paper, or having already played w/his Dad previously, he may want to experience another set of coach's philosophy?? I guess I just worry that if he was such a likely commit for us, it would have happened by now. Hope I'm wrong.

Tornadoes have happened in my area in the past. Not for like 10 years and there’s no threat of severe weather today, but I’m gonna get in the basement anyway just in case. Stop overthinking it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
He was bad his freshman year against Iowa and his sophomore year against WVU. Guessing they schemed for him pretty well.

The other games he actually did pretty good in. 26 points against South Carolina and 20 points against Colorado both his sophomore year.

This past year he had 16 against Arkansas but it was inefficient. Again though, he had to do EVERYTHING lol.
He had trouble against Iowa's defensive scheme? Does Iowa have a defensive scheme? Bad sign.

Sarcasm pirate.

If he transfers here I'll be ecstatic.

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We can agree at least that TJ is doing a fantastic job as Cyclone Coach. Thankful TJ is in charge to lead us.

He did a great job in year 1 and he's got his work cut out for him right now if we are going to come anywhere close to repeating that kind of success in year 2. Not blaming TJ for the problem because there is only so much he can do but having to turn over a roster every year with only 3 or 4 hold overs from the previous season is not exactly a great way to build a program that can sustain success. Losing Hunter was a big blow because he was supposed to be one of the building blocks to add around and now we have to replace him too. Having 3 or 4 year players that can stagger the classes a bit helps keep a good base to build from but I think the days of having a class where 3 or 4 guys stay and all graduate together is going to be more rare anywhere now with the current transfer portal rules making it too easy to jump to another team without sitting out a year.

It's almost become a culture where you no longer can "build" a program more than it will be how can you "manage" a program when you could have massive roster turnover nearly every year and have a constant rebuild/reload going on.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
CW mentioned on KXNO that it isn’t a foregone conclusion that AJ winds up in Ames, and that he may transfer to a school like Villanova. This was before the weird timing of Jay Wright hanging it up. He later backpedaled and said that his Dad being the assistant would play a big role in his decision. The ONLY way AJ is NOT a Cyclone is if he’s getting information he could get guaranteed money in the NBA. Just my opinion. 0 % chance he goes anywhere else with the college ranks.

CW doesn't want to steal the announcement from college kid publicly

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009

Nope

Help Support Us

Become a patron