Airventure

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Anyone else going up to Oshkosh this year? I will be taking the in laws up on Monday sadly driving since the plane is not cooperating right now.

Maybe if we stop on Madison CowGirl will make us a pie.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I have to fly up to North Dakota for a board meeting on Monday. Thought about swinging through Oshkosh for a day on the way back to Iowa, but I can't take the time. Maybe next year. I have never been... but would love to go.

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
Used to go all the time with my dad, but he sold his share of his plane (Mooney) last year. He is driving but I am sitting this one out. I think that in a few years when my son is older we will make it a three generation trip.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
We were going to fly until the transponder went out...

You don't need a transponder to fly into Oshkosh! Heck, just claim you don't even have a radio and use the non-radio procedures to get in there easy. Piece of cake! The controllers will love you for it!

:jimlad:

(Full disclosure: I am a controller, although I've never had the desire to work Oshkosh, no thank you. And a former fellow controller flew in there a few years back in his Cub using the non-radio procedures even though he had a radio, because he didn't want to hassle with those pesky ATC instructions.)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Anyone else going up to Oshkosh this year? I will be taking the in laws up on Monday sadly driving since the plane is not cooperating right now.

Maybe if we stop on Madison CowGirl will make us a pie.
Tell cowgirl that you want a huckleberry pie.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
You don't need a transponder to fly into Oshkosh! Heck, just claim you don't even have a radio and use the non-radio procedures to get in there easy. Piece of cake! The controllers will love you for it!

:jimlad:

(Full disclosure: I am a controller, although I've never had the desire to work Oshkosh, no thank you. And a former fellow controller flew in there a few years back in his Cub using the non-radio procedures even though he had a radio, because he didn't want to hassle with those pesky ATC instructions.)

Very true. Although legal I was not up for flying from ICT-C17-OSH-AXN-ICT without one.

Great to know there is a controller on here? Where are you at?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Very true. Although legal I was not up for flying from ICT-C17-OSH-AXN-ICT without one.

Great to know there is a controller on here? Where are you at?

Cedar Rapids. So I know exactly where you mean by C17.

This week is usually our busiest of the year ... and non-transponder guys who don't call us on the radio are a bit of a pain (although our radar can track you and we can give you pretty good radar service as long as you're talking to us - the cropdusters that are buzzing around here this time of year not talking to ATC are a bane to our workload).

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Cedar Rapids. So I know exactly where you mean by C17.

This week is usually our busiest of the year ... and non-transponder guys who don't call us on the radio are a bit of a pain (although our radar can track you and we can give you pretty good radar service as long as you're talking to us - the cropdusters that are buzzing around here this time of year not talking to ATC are a bane to our workload).

I can imagine they are a pain to deal with. I will have to keep you in mind next time I fly up, would be nice to know the voice on the other side is a Cyclone.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I had a great day yesterday. My in-laws didn't seem too impressed but that was expected since they are not aviation nerds like me.