Air Fryers: Great? Good? or Save Your Money?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Been looking at maybe getting one. Anyone have any input? Pros? Cons? I assume you can't bread up something and put it in. Thanks in advance!

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have one. Thought it would be a toy. It's not. Makes perfect fish. Had good luck with other meats as well. Fries, tots, pizza rolls, etc perfect.

I have the diet of a 5th grader most of the time, but it's a real kitchen tool.

Pressure cooker is legit too

• Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The cafeteria at the place I work uses one. It makes, hands down, the worst french fries I've ever had. When they used to have a fryer, the french fries were fine. Nothing to write home about, but perfectly acceptable. They switched to the air fryer, and they instantly became awful.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
It works really great, fries are good though you want to limit the amount you cook, crisscut fries work best.. If you fill the basket and try to cook a couple of pounds it probably would not do as well.

Chicken cooks really well. Other meats too.

Just season like you would anything else, we uses ours pretty much nightly to cook things.
Fast and food tastes good

Worth the investment.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The cafeteria at the place I work uses one. It makes, hands down, the worst french fries I've ever had. When they used to have a fryer, the french fries were fine. Nothing to write home about, but perfectly acceptable. They switched to the air fryer, and they instantly became awful.

Maybe the Hawk manning the fryer just hasn't got the hang of it yet.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Also curious on this. I'm getting married in August, so might throw one of these on the registry.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I got one and it sucks for all the things you want it for. Get a pressure cooker if you don't have one. It's been a lot more useful for me.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My cousin has one and he says it's okay for small amounts of frozen/prepared food. NOT good for stuff you batter yourself, apparently.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
We have one, but rarely use it. It only handles very small quantities of food - not enough for our family.

The results are OK... Not nearly as tasty as traditional fried, but better than in a conventional oven. But, the food is certainly healthier than deep frying.

For 1-2 people who want decent "fried" (breaded not battered) food that is healthier, it's not a bad option. It is a pretty big appliance for only preparing a small amount of food though.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I have the actifry and I like it, but the term airfryer is a load of ****. It's a pan that sits in a mini convection oven, so the biggest benefit is it cooks faster and will crisp your food with a little less oil, but it is not in any sense a fryer. And I've found you need it use about twice as much oil as most recipes call for, especially if you are trying to make home fries or something like that. It is good for heating up certain frozen foods like frozen french fries, and those have enough oil in them all ready you don't need to add much oil and they crisp up fine. They are better than cooking fries in the oven, but definitely not as good as using fryer. Makes decent chicken wings.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Good ol' BuzzFeed.

Like, OMG, what is going on here!?!?

View attachment 47643

That's pretty sad that she couldn't figure this out. I guess it's not surprising, anymore...

OMG, you would not believe it. I had a friend move in with me over the weekend to rent a spare bedroom I have in my house. Two things just blew my mind.

1. I have an old dishwasher that has a dial to turn it on. I came in my house Monday after work. Noticed that the dishwasher was full, but not turned on. She comes out to greet me. I fill up the dishwasher with soap, and turn the dial to the on position. She then says something to the tune of, 'thats how it works.'

2. I have a new WiFi thermostat in my house. I usually turn it down before leaving for work, but since my new room mate was still in the house, I decided to wait until I got to work to turn it down so she could get ready and leave for work. Turns out she decided to call in sick for work. I turn down the thermostat in the house from my home. She spent the whole day at my house with a slightly colder temperature because she didn't try to modify the thermostat. I presume because she was intimated to try.

Reactions: cstrunk

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I bit the bullet and got one. We have done fries, chicken breasts, breaded fish bites and chicken nuggets. I have to say that it I love it. Fries were crisp. Wife did egg wash, flour and bread crumbs on the chicken, turned out crunchy and chicken was very moist. The best chicken was just putting some BBQ rub on. Probably better than a grill as it was very juicy. House doesn't smell like a fryer when you are done. Not to bad for an $80 investment.

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
How fast does it cook food? I have a 5 year old that will not eat what we eat. We are constantly starting the oven for a handful of fish sticks or french fries.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We have a "Fry Daddy" deep fat fryer that we use for shrimp, Calamari, breaded mushrooms, fries, Mozzarella sticks, etc (basically the pre-breaded or battered) stuff you pull out of the freezer). We don't use it often enough to get our money's worth out of the amount of oil it needs, and there are only two of us now.

For those of you that have one, would we be happier with an air-fryer?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron