After the Jack Trice throwbacks, let's do the Polly Wallace throwbacks

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
With the debut of the Jack Trice throwbacks mere days away, I got to thinking about what throwbacks ISU could do next. Maybe ISU will never be a flashy school, which is ok, but we can certainly honor past teams and players with throwbacks.

For those of you who don't know, Polly Wallace was a beast of a man that was ISU's first consensus all-american in 1920. Remember, players went both ways at that time--he played center on offense/defense, but I suspect his defensive position was more like a middle linebacker as he was everywhere. He may have been the first great linebacker at ISU--a position that didn't exist at the time.

Also, the 1920 team may have been the first ISU team to feature a painted design on the helmets--which I used as inspiration for this throwback helmet concept that I posted on Twitter:

View attachment 21842

Here's a look at the helmets in action--definitely an unique look for ISU:

View attachment 21843

What do you think?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Wear it for a throwback game and I will like it and try to buy it.

It would be unique. I say do it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Hmm. Not familiar with this story. Then again, I was pretty young at the time! :jimlad:

I don't know if I did the helmet or not. It's kinda neat, but not sure I like it enough.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
i say we do the 1994 red n gold ****** "cyclones". that way the Lazard bros can wear the same uni their dad did.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
With the debut of the Jack Trice throwbacks mere days away, I got to thinking about what throwbacks ISU could do next. Maybe ISU will never be a flashy school, which is ok, but we can certainly honor past teams and players with throwbacks.

For those of you who don't know, Polly Wallace was a beast of a man that was ISU's first consensus all-american in 1920. Remember, players went both ways at that time--he played center on offense/defense, but I suspect his defensive position was more like a middle linebacker as he was everywhere. He may have been the first great linebacker at ISU--a position that didn't exist at the time.

Also, the 1920 team may have been the first ISU team to feature a painted design on the helmets--which I used as inspiration for this throwback helmet concept that I posted on Twitter:

View attachment 21842

Here's a look at the helmets in action--definitely an unique look for ISU:

View attachment 21843

What do you think?

Didn't they have blue in the uniform back in the 20s and 30s? If so, then please no. I wouldn't mind them wearing the uniforms from the 50s. Sort of looked like the 49ers.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Didn't they have blue in the uniform back in the 20s and 30s? If so, then please no. I wouldn't mind them wearing the uniforms from the 50s. Sort of looked like the 49ers.

As I recall, Ed Bock in 1938 had a blue uniform. However, anything I've ever seen with the 1920s and early 30s points to either cardinal or gold uniforms.