After DAY ONE scoring from 2008 Wrestling Nationals

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
This is how things looked last year after day one. Iowa had seven wrestlers in the championship bracket at this point last year compared to six this year, but they have scored more bonus points this year through one day than they did one year ago.

ISU had six wrestlers move on to the Friday morning quarterfinals last year, so as you can see, they have done better in bonus point scoring, too.

Just for those that are curious, as I know the questions will come: there are a LOT of points in play tomorrow. A lot. Iowa went from 29 on Thursday night to 108 on Friday night last year, with second place at the time Ohio State having 71, and ISU then in third with 68. A big thing, and I don't think we will see this tomorrow, is that Jake Varner was the only Cyclone remaining in the championship bracket last year once the Friday sessions were over.

Again, here is the scoring after the Day One session at last year's Nationals

Place Team Points
1. Iowa 29.5
2. Nebraska 26.5
3. Iowa State 25
4. Central Michigan 24
Minnesota 24
6. Missouri 23
Oklahoma State 23
8. Ohio State 22
9. Cornell 17.5
Penn State 17.5

Reactions: MidwestZest

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Classic hawkeye, conitnually living in the past. J/K Jon, but give us this year and the potential match ups to look forward to tomorrow if you can.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I have a number of reasons for posting these things on this site and mine. None of it is gloating, or saying past results will dictate future results. I find it interesting to look back at last year at this stage of the game, as ISU brought 10 and Iowa brought 9 to that event, too. And I think from an ISU perspective, it's clear to see that the Clones came to wrestle with regards to bonus points, which is a huge turnaround from last year, something Cael told me last March he wanted to focus on for this season.

I think folks that follow the sport probably like seeing stuff like this, if not, just ignore it because it will be clearly labeled last year.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Jon - are you freaking serious? I think most if not all people would prefer that you were banned from this site, especially since you are so quick to ban everyone on your little HN site if you don't like what they say about your precious little EIU Squawkers..

Another worthless Miller post....

Last edited:

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
With all due respect Jon, I fail to see the connection and I do follow the sport. I also would be saying this if ISU had won it last year.

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
I may not agree with everything miller says on things on this site, but i do think that he should be allowed to talk sports with other sports fans.

Yeah we all know he is a hawk and that is not going to change.

But atleast he shows interset in cyclone sports

And as a reporter he is able to see things from different views

the post from this thread he comparing the chances for each team the rest of the tourney

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I may not agree with everything miller says on things on this site, but i do think that he should be allowed to talk sports with other sports fans.

Yeah we all know he is a hawk and that is not going to change.

But atleast he shows interset in cyclone sports

And as a reporter he is able to see things from different views

the post from this thread he comparing the chances for each team the rest of the tourney

Is your name hawkkitt on HN?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Miller's posts are fine. Iowa and ISU are basically the same teams as last year minus Perry for Iowa. These comparisons are valid and interesting. All Miller is saying is that ISU is scoring a lot more bonus points than last year.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Miller's posts are fine. Iowa and ISU are basically the same teams as last year minus Perry for Iowa. These comparisons are valid and interesting. All Miller is saying is that ISU is scoring a lot more bonus points than last year.

where is the neg rep button...

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
Take the blinders off Polkcity!!!

there are people out there that are cyclone fans first and good wrestling fans second

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I don't think that Miller should be banned. I might not agree with everything he says, but I always like to hear his insight on issues, partly because he is a hawk fan and he is normally not obnoxious about it (I would whether hear from him than anyother hawk fan on this site).

As for this particular thread, it sounds allot like Miller is trying to layout how the hawks are going to win, though he denies it. If that isn't the purpose, I still don't understand what the purpose of this thread is, especially since he started another thread earlier just like this.

My personal opinion is that this will be a very close race between the two Iowa schools. We are tied going into the second day. Iowa has more wrestlers advancing, by 1, but ISU has more wrestlers overall. I think our extra few in consolation rounds will make up for not having as many advancing. The big question is can ISU keep up with bonus points.

Last edited:

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
It's gonna take a great effort from ISU and a little luck to keep pace with Iowa. Iowa is favored to get 5 semifinalists while ISU is only favored for 3. Historically, Iowa dominates the wrestlebacks too. You don't win it on Day 1, but you can lose it. All ISU did today is not lose this thing.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I like the comparisons. In fact I was looking for just that. I don't follow wrestling and so I was curious as to what all the numbers meant. Thanks Jon!

Damn, we need some good things to happen so that the people that live their life basing their existence and self value on how their university's student athletes do in competition don't take their own life or a Hawk's. (We can't afford to lose anymore fans) It reminds me of the parents at the youth sports leagues screaming their heads off at the officials.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Jon - are you freaking serious? I think most if not all people would prefer that you were banned from this site, especially since you are so quick to ban everyone on your little HN site if you don't like what they say about your precious little EIU Squawkers..

Another worthless Miller post....

I appreciate Miller's info. Why don't you go watch a replay of one of our women's victories.:yes:

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Thanks for the post Jon.

I do find it helpful to look at last year's results. I love wrestling, but by no means am an expert, particularly when it comes to tournaments and tournament scoring. I realize the teams from last year and this year are different, but both UI and ISU are in very similar situations this year as we were last year. Especially in regards to advancing wrestlers.

It is NICE to see how many points UI scored on Friday last year - cause all that means is that we have a chance to do the same with bonus points today, this year. They were the beast of the tournament last year and it's not bad to aspire to that.

Jon gave ISU props in his post anyways, so just go easy. If anybody else had posted that same information, no one would have batted an eye.

I hope the Cyclones can make a dent in the field today! We started last evening a bit slow, but hopefully we can come out of the gate strong today. And maybe we can get Z to get aggressive a little earlier in his matches.... :wink:

GO CYCLONES!