After 13 years I'm finally ditching iTunes

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I switched to streaming a decade ago (imo it's crazy to buy songs/albums anymore).

I'm not an audiophile, so what is wrong with Google's chrome streaming? It's not good for your mp3 collection? Anyway, $9.99/month for a Google Music subscription that would have all of those songs anyway.

I love the Google music subscription. Really helped me back into some new genres I otherwise never would have.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I switched to streaming a decade ago (imo it's crazy to buy songs/albums anymore).

I'm not an audiophile, so what is wrong with Google's chrome streaming? It's not good for your mp3 collection? Anyway, $9.99/month for a Google Music subscription that would have all of those songs anyway.
It's OK. But it's pulling your tunes from the cloud instead of your pc so the quality is going to vary with your internet connection. Not a huge deal I guess.

But now I'm going to have to check out this Google subscription service so it may all be a moot point!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It's OK. But it's pulling your tunes from the cloud instead of your pc so the quality is going to vary with your internet connection. Not a huge deal I guess.

But now I'm going to have to check out this Google subscription service so it may all be a moot point!

I used Rhapsody for 9 years. It was generally good, but had a clunky pc application and cost $15/month if you included mobile (phone) streaming. I decided to try Google for the 30-day free trial and cancelled Rhapsody within a week. I was blown away by the Chrome app, the radio options (think Pandora), and the slick Android interface. You can also download your playlists to your phone for playing when you don't have a connection (or want to save data plan bandwidth). It's a great service, and I have yet to search for a song they don't have in their library.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I don't buy any music since I have the internet.

This was my reaction.... people still buy music?
Yes. It's called NOT STEALING.

I used Rhapsody for 9 years. It was generally good, but had a clunky pc application and cost $15/month if you included mobile (phone) streaming. I decided to try Google for the 30-day free trial and cancelled Rhapsody within a week. I was blown away by the Chrome app, the radio options (think Pandora), and the slick Android interface. You can also download your playlists to your phone for playing when you don't have a connection (or want to save data plan bandwidth). It's a great service, and I have yet to search for a song they don't have in their library.
That settles it. I'm trying Google.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Yes. It's called NOT STEALING.

That settles it. I'm trying Google.

I'm kind of a Google fanboy and I've never tried their music service. You just talked me into it:)

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I don't know why you wouldn't give it a shot if they're still doing the 30-day trial. Also, you can import your iTunes library and playlists.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
iTunes for Windows always has been and still is a terrible program.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I don't know why you wouldn't give it a shot if they're still doing the 30-day trial. Also, you can import your iTunes library and playlists.

Actually, I think I did try it when it first came out and it had issues. I don't have the option of the 30-day trial any more and $9.99/mo is pretty spendy considering Pandora One is $36/yr. Maybe after my Pandora One runs out I'll give it another shot.

Sorry for the thread derail OP

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I use Pandora to find new music, but then I search for them on Rdio. I can create playlists on it better than Pandora does.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I still use iTunes, never had any issues with it. I used Pandora (most overrated thing ever, barely a step above radio) for a few years but don't like the fluff it force feeds you while you are hoping to listen to songs you really like. honestly I haven't messed with many other streaming options but always felt like I couldn't really 100% customize what was played. What out there gives me complete control over what I hear?

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Actually, I think I did try it when it first came out and it had issues. I don't have the option of the 30-day trial any more and $9.99/mo is pretty spendy considering Pandora One is $36/yr. Maybe after my Pandora One runs out I'll give it another shot.

Sorry for the thread derail OP

I haven't tried Pandora's subscription service, so I can't really compare them. I used their free radio before I got google.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm surprised anyone bus mp3s of albums. It's 4x to 20x more expensive than buying CDs at a used record shop and taking 90 seconds to convert them. Maybe I'm spoiled living in a neighborhood with used CDs everywhere. You don't have to steal to have lots of mp3s for next to nothing and if you ever don't want them you can trade them instead of just deleting.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Haven't touched itunes for years. Spotify for life. I just ask for Spotify gift cards on birthdays/Xmas/whatever because I don't know what to ask for anymore.

Plus it gives me all the music I could ever ask for at the click of a button.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Even spotify free is great. Especially on ipad. Havent paid for music or even hardly listened to Pandora since finding Spotify.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
I know, I know, what took so long, right? Sick of iTunes quirks, like losing half my library with every software update, creating duplicate files and on and on. Looking for a program that will scan all my drives, find all music files and give me the option of moving them to one location. Two that jump out so far are MusicBee and MediaMonkey. Any others I should consider?

I like Google Play and the ability to access all my tunes from my phone but I don't like it as a media player on my home PC.

I'd go with Winamp. They have the best skins, if you're into individualization. Integrates with Napster really well too.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I listen to Pandora and Spotify but I also like to own the songs I like. With that said, I have an Ipod that I use for tailgating and a Nano for my car. Are there any alternatives to Itunes (Windows) that will allow me to manage these devices?

Help Support Us

Become a patron