After 13 years I'm finally ditching iTunes

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I know, I know, what took so long, right? Sick of iTunes quirks, like losing half my library with every software update, creating duplicate files and on and on. Looking for a program that will scan all my drives, find all music files and give me the option of moving them to one location. Two that jump out so far are MusicBee and MediaMonkey. Any others I should consider?

I like Google Play and the ability to access all my tunes from my phone but I don't like it as a media player on my home PC.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
? I have had zero issue with itunes. I put all of my music in the same location. Im not sure why yours is fighting you so much.

If you are looking for a fun media player, check out running subsonic music server. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

I believe there is even an app for various devices that you can stream to wherever.

I use it to stream music to everyone at work so they dont chew up our external bandwidth with pandora and the like.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I know, I know, what took so long, right? Sick of iTunes quirks, like losing half my library with every software update, creating duplicate files and on and on. Looking for a program that will scan all my drives, find all music files and give me the option of moving them to one location. Two that jump out so far are MusicBee and MediaMonkey. Any others I should consider?

I like Google Play and the ability to access all my tunes from my phone but I don't like it as a media player on my home PC.
Where do you get the majority of your music?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
So I take it you don't own an iPhone?

I've never lost music with iTunes. I'm not sure why you would be having that issue.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
? I have had zero issue with itunes. I put all of my music in the same location. Im not sure why yours is fighting you so much.

If you are looking for a fun media player, check out running subsonic music server. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

I believe there is even an app for various devices that you can stream to wherever.

I use it to stream music to everyone at work so they dont chew up our external bandwidth with pandora and the like.

So I take it you don't own an iPhone?

I've never lost music with iTunes. I'm not sure why you would be having that issue.

Where do you get the majority of your music?
Don't own an iPhone anymore. Google, it's a known issue. Haven't lost any music permanently but everytime there's an update I have to rescan or it loses a lot of my library or creates duplicates.

I used to get most of my music from iTunes but recently I've been buying from Google Play and occasionally Amazon.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I used to be a MediaMonkey fan but it got to be really bloated and had lots of issues. I now just use Amazon Cloud Player but really I only listen to Pandora anyway.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Haven't used iTunes in years. Had a lot of the same issues. Plus there really isn't a need to store music on a player like that anymore. With Spotify or XM, I am set.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I use Amazon. I haven't paid attention in awhile but they used to have 100 $5 albums every month and there was some good stuff on there. I don't buy a lot of music since i have XM but I've liked it for what I need.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

iTunes already has that feature.
itunes.png

or go to

File > Library > Organize

Why is your music scattered in multiple locations?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
iTunes already has that feature.
View attachment 27047

or go to

File > Library > Organize

Why is your music scattered in multiple locations?
I'm aware the iTunes claims to have that functionality. It doesn't always work as it's supposed to. Again, it is a known issue. My music isn't scattered all over. It is in the My Music folder and then inside the iTunes hierarchy of folders but a few times in the past with updates it has just randomly created new directories, left some music in the old one, put some music in the new one. Then I go to play something and it says can't find the file and I freak out for a minute and spend about 30 minutes fixing it. It's not beyond me to fix it, I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I use Amazon. I haven't paid attention in awhile but they used to have 100 $5 albums every month and there was some good stuff on there. I don't buy a lot of music since i have XM but I've liked it for what I need.

I don't buy any music since I have the internet.

Last edited:

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
I store all my music on a PC with Plex Media Server installed. I can stream it to my tablet, phone, laptop, etc. It does pretty good through the interwebs and as a bonus, I have Google Chromecast so I can cast it to my TV and play it through the sound system my TV uses.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I store all my music on a PC with Plex Media Server installed. I can stream it to my tablet, phone, laptop, etc. It does pretty good through the interwebs and as a bonus, I have Google Chromecast so I can cast it to my TV and play it through the sound system my TV uses.

I like Plex as well. However Ive only used it for movies.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I switched to streaming a decade ago (imo it's crazy to buy songs/albums anymore).

I'm not an audiophile, so what is wrong with Google's chrome streaming? It's not good for your mp3 collection? Anyway, $9.99/month for a Google Music subscription that would have all of those songs anyway.