• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
These are really killing me here. I can't come on this site at all without contant add playing. Many times, I can't even find the orgin of the sound. I know Chris, you said you can't control it but it makes it impossible to listen to anything else and come on this forum at the same time. It's almost to the point of only coming on here via mobile. Just my opinion.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Getting these now. Something about veterans (possibly a political ad). Can't see any corresponding video.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Just FYI, seems to be an increase in noisy ads for me over the past few days. They are popping up on the right side margin, in the second ad box above the Yard Barker box (for me, the Yard Barker box is the bottom-most box in the right margin).

Today, it is two different Toyota ads. If you click on the ad, it does open another browser window with Toyota advertising, but it also mutes the ad (which continues playing on the CF page).

Thanks!

Update: I'm using FireFox on Unbuntu 12.04. Actually, even just righ-clicking on the ad and bringing up the pop-up menu will silence it.

Last edited:

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Me too!

Don't you love "me too" posts?

Video ads are auto-playing. Flash is covering up the pause button. This is new, and very unwelcome. I'll open 10 threads in different tabs at work, so I end up with garbled noise.

I've seen other places that will autoplay the videos muted.

And I understand you need ads to keep the site free. Just noting that things have changed, and asking for the ability to mute or pause. (I can't mute or stop the videos in IE 11 unless I get lucky and catch the pause button while it's uncovered.)

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
There was another thread in "off topic" about the ads getting out of control, but I see that thread was closed, so I'll give my feed back here.I get that ads are essential to keep the page free. On one hand, there has to be enough ads to make it so. People run this site for a living, I get that. Thank you!

To balance that out, the video/audio/autoplay ads very nearly make the experience "not worth" going to the site. (I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, the 2 or 3 video ads per page cause actual performance issues [esp. when I want to have 2-3 tabs open at once with CF forum pages]. I think it "clogs up" the cache of the web browser and makes everything run slower.)

I know the guys who work on CF have more info than me by far, but just wanted to maybe show that you will eventually lose users if the video Ads stay as they are, and we can't block them.

Last edited by a moderator:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
There was another thread in "off topic" about the ads getting out of control, but I see that thread was closed, so I'll give my feed back here.I get that ads are essential to keep the page free. On one hand, there has to be enough ads to make it so. People run this site for a living, I get that. Thank you!

To balance that out, the video/audio/autoplay ads very nearly make the experience "not worth" going to the site. (I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, the 2 or 3 video ads per page cause actual performance issues [esp. when I want to have 2-3 tabs open at once with CF forum pages]. I think it "clogs up" the cache of the web browser and makes everything run slower.)

I know the guys who work on CF have more info than me by far, but just wanted to maybe show that you will eventually lose users if the video Ads stay as they are, and we can't block them.

Chris has mentioned in other threads that video/audio ads aren't accepted at CF, but they get thru. They're working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Chris has mentioned in other threads that video/audio ads aren't accepted at CF, but they get thru. They're working on it.

In the closed forum, he mentioned that audio ads (ie, those that automatically play sound) are not supposed to be allowed, but it was implied that video ads are accepted. As I read it at least.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
We are working on getting this resolved. Thanks for making us aware.

Thanks so much. We really do appreciate the work.

Just to clarify, is the goal to eliminate ALL ads that automatically play a video, or just to make sure that they are "pre-muted" when they start playing?

For me, the system congestion wants me to reject both categories.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
And then immediately get another one for "Dentasticks" dog dental stuff. Seems like the same company for both of them.

TurdFerguson

Sep 13, 2013
Tonight I am getting audio ads in about 9 out of 10 page loads. All seem to be pet treat related. Greenies, Temptations cat treats, and one other dog bone ad.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Still there.

VOjOjbM.png

Gonna make me re-enable adblock!