Add 1 player to this years team

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Re: We Need a Post Defender

We don't need a stud player to make this team significantly better, we just need a guy like Embiid, Perry Ellis,etc who can guard his guy in the post one on one. We give up too many easy shots because we double down on ALL passes to the post.

Pick a guy- Embiid, Ellis, Ridley, Lammert, Sprangler(sp), Woodbury, , etc.

Lol what?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
What is the obsession with Embiid? A lot of potential but as far as stats go, nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination. He has had decent games against ISU who's tallest guy is 6'7". To say Embiid and it's not even close is silly. For this team and Fred's style, there are plenty of other players more suitable and would be more impactful than Embiid.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
What is the obsession with Embiid? A lot of potential but as far as stats go, nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination. He has had decent games against ISU who's tallest guy is 6'7". To say Embiid and it's not even close is silly. For this team and Fred's style, there are plenty of other players more suitable and would be more impactful than Embiid.
Embiid may not be a stat stuffer but he brings the intangibles that we need.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Stop saying "Fred's style." Part of the reason he plays that type of offense, is because he lacks a true paint presence. Yes, Fred wants to get up and down the court, but I'm sure if he could get a guy like Embiid, he would take him and alter his style to fit him best. Fred wants to get up and down the court, right? Well I'm pretty sure KU does the same thing with Embiid on the floor, and they're pretty damn successful.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Embiid may not be a stat stuffer but he brings the intangibles that we need.

Matt Thomas wisely pulled up on fast break against Embiid. Against almost any other NCAA player that's 2 points or foul shots. Doesn't show up in the box score anywhere. The kid is very athletic for his size.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

Lol what?

I don't think that is crazy. Woodbury gets crap from everyone for lack of jumping ability and some clutziness around the basket-he's not a scorer. But watch how he screens, plays defense (in the paint-not when he isn't asked to play 20 feet from the basket), rebounds, outlets and runs the floor. I think you'd be surprised at how effective he would be on our team. We don't need another scorer. I'm certainly not saying he is first choice-that would be Embiid-just agreeing with the post saying really there are a lot of big men who would really help our team-doesn't have to be the best big man in the country.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Stop saying "Fred's style." Part of the reason he plays that type of offense, is because he lacks a true paint presence. Yes, Fred wants to get up and down the court, but I'm sure if he could get a guy like Embiid, he would take him and alter his style to fit him best. Fred wants to get up and down the court, right? Well I'm pretty sure KU does the same thing with Embiid on the floor, and they're pretty damn successful.
Funny how we have not had a "post presence" the entire time Fred's been here. Fred likes shooters. So unless Embiid is going to be an accurate outside shooter, than it doesn't fit the system. Quit acting like there is huge differences in the style of play from year to year because there really isn't.
And regarding Embiid, did you forget that Niang had over 22 points on the amazing Embiid and his intangables?
I just think his contribution is hugely overstated. I think Doug McD would in far more effective for ISU.

Edit: Royce would be the only "post presence" in the Fred era so I was wrong about that but with his passing ability, quite the unique player.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

I don't think that is crazy. Woodbury gets crap from everyone for lack of jumping ability and some clutziness around the basket-he's not a scorer. But watch how he screens, plays defense (in the paint-not when he isn't asked to play 20 feet from the basket), rebounds, outlets and runs the floor. I think you'd be surprised at how effective he would be on our team. We don't need another scorer. I'm certainly not saying he is first choice-that would be Embiid-just agreeing with the post saying really there are a lot of big men who would really help our team-doesn't have to be the best big man in the country.
Watching him catch a ball down low and with no defender on him, still tried to put up a layup off the glass instead of dunking the ball and he missed it. Woodbury is dead weight. Will never be more than "depth" for Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

In terms of this thread it is crazy. You get one player to pick in the country. Adam Woodbury is your choice. That's like drinking milk during a marathon in July. BAD CHOICE. Taking Michael Olawakandi #1 looks solid next to that choice.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Embiid would be great from the simple fact that he would neutralize opposing team's big men on both ends and allow a lot of different schemes. It would likely make Hogue as the odd man out, assuming Niang and Ejim stay in there along with Hogue and Morris/Thomas/Long.

Not to regurgitate ESPN, but Parker, Randle and Gordon would also be great options. Ultimately, I have a hard time not agreeing with McDermott, though.

Hoiberg is going to adjust his offense to maximize whoever's talent that he has. We've seen what he can do with great talent, so it's easy for us to imagine the kind of greatness that he can accomplish with elite talent. I'm just more accustomed to his higher paced system, so I have to give a VERY slight lean toward Doug.

Offensively, we'd be scary. We could almost run a backwards looking offense. Play McDermott and Niang on the perimeter (they could shoot or drive), float Ejim in and out of the paint, post up Kane and have Morris/Thomas/Long set screens and run pick and rolls or pop out for an open three. Opposing coaches would have a blast

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Funny how we have not had a "post presence" the entire time Fred's been here. Fred likes shooters. So unless Embiid is going to be an accurate outside shooter, than it doesn't fit the system. Quit acting like there is huge differences in the style of play from year to year because there really isn't.
And regarding Embiid, did you forget that Niang had over 22 points on the amazing Embiid and his intangables?
I just think his contribution is hugely overstated. I think Doug McD would in far more effective for ISU.

We don't have elite post presence because there are only a handful of them to go around, and they go to the blue blood programs, so Fred does the right thing. Instead of taking a lesser true post, he goes and gets athletic guys that can shoot. I completely agree with this philosophy. However, given this stupid hypothetical situation, you take an elite big man, that will be top 3 in a very deep draft.

I love Doug as much as anybody, and he would start for every team in the country. There is no doubt he would improve our offense, but would do nothing to help on defense. We'd be forced to out score everybody. At some point, usually in the big tournament, you gotta be able to stop someone.

The pluses of Embiid helping on defense, out weigh the pluses of Doug, or some other shooter, helping on offense. I got faith in Fred and the offense, its the defense and rebounding that make me nervous.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We don't have elite post presence because there are only a handful of them to go around, and they go to the blue blood programs, so Fred does the right thing. Instead of taking a lesser true post, he goes and gets athletic guys that can shoot. I completely agree with this philosophy. However, given this stupid hypothetical situation, you take an elite big man, that will be top 3 in a very deep draft.

I love Doug as much as anybody, and he would start for every team in the country. There is no doubt he would improve our offense, but would do nothing to help on defense. We'd be forced to out score everybody. At some point, usually in the big tournament, you gotta be able to stop someone.

The pluses of Embiid helping on defense, out weigh the pluses of Doug, or some other shooter, helping on offense. I got faith in Fred and the offense, its the defense and rebounding that make me nervous.
I would agree with you if you were adding him to last years team. But this team isn't as good offensively as the last year's team so offensive production would be more beneficial this year vs last year. I agree on rebounding though. Not sure on Doug's numbers there.
With that said, having McKay and Nader next year who are both bigger and taller than anyone on the floor for us right now. Nader having over a 7' wingspan and Mckay being the rim defender we have been lacking, ISU should be a serious contender in the country next year. Especially if we can secure Vaughn at SG/SF.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Since you stated that he has to be playing for "another team" I'll go with LBJ. The Miami Heat definitely fit the criteria of "another team."

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I'd like to retract my pick-a-player choice of Kyle Anderson and instead pick Frank Kaminsky... I can't imagine how awesome we would be with his skill set on Fred's offense.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I don't know if he would be the "one" player I would add, but I really like Willie Cauley-Stein's game. Athletic 7 footer that averages 3 blocks per game

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron