Accolades pile up for Cam Lard

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Looking forward to seeing what Wigginton and Lard will accomplish at Iowa State.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have just about zero confidence either will be around after next year. This is kind of looking like a program where we are going to get guys like them who aren't sure one and dones but they leave after two years, similar to Michigan with that Hardaway, Stauskas, Burke run. It's a good problem to have but it does cause problems when they are looked at as guys who will be around awhile but within one season they are gone and you have little time to reload.
Better than not getting talented guys... but a little soul crushing when you watch all the top recruits become three and four year guys at KU, while Beilein does such a great job evaluating and developing guys that there’s consistently early departures.

It makes missing on adding another contributor last spring a little harder to take if there’s only one more year of Lard and Wigginton imo.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Better than not getting talented guys... but a little soul crushing when you watch all the top recruits become three and four year guys at KU, while Beilein does such a great job evaluating and developing guys that there’s consistently early departures.

It makes missing on adding another contributor last spring a little harder to take if there’s only one more year of Lard and Wigginton imo.

The problem with basketball is how far out you are in a timeline and how much one player means to a roster. In football, it's one guy out of 85 and you have a much larger pool to try and replace him. In basketball, you only have a few other guys to choose from and you have a short timeline to recruit a new guy from a pool that's really small. It's why Michigan has had some struggles relative to the earlier success because they are constantly young and they aren't reloading with multiple 5 star guys every year and they aren't able to go into a 4 star guys house and just pick them off. You just have to hope Prohm sees that happening before it happens. Sometimes that's impossible.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
lucky for us wigginton is only 6'3." he's just so small by nba standards (yes there are exceptions).

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I am already terrified they are both gone after their sophomore years.

I’m not so sure about that. That means they phenomenal sophomore years which I wouldn’t be mad about. But Wiggy needs to play more point because he won’t get a job in the NBA playing off the ball at his height. He needs to prove more consistently at that position. Cam is a monster but I see him sticking at Iowa State for 3 or 4 before confidently going into the draft with a good pick. I don’t see him leaving early for a mid to late second round.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The problem with basketball is how far out you are in a timeline and how much one player means to a roster. In football, it's one guy out of 85 and you have a much larger pool to try and replace him. In basketball, you only have a few other guys to choose from and you have a short timeline to recruit a new guy from a pool that's really small. It's why Michigan has had some struggles relative to the earlier success because they are constantly young and they aren't reloading with multiple 5 star guys every year and they aren't able to go into a 4 star guys house and just pick them off. You just have to hope Prohm sees that happening before it happens. Sometimes that's impossible.
You’re right, but on the positive side it’s also why you can turn around a program in one or two years. I think it also supports the notion that to consistently win you have to be good at spring recruiting imo. You’ll almost always have holes, even when you recruit well from the high school ranks. If we land even Plan C guys we’re likely a tournament team this year imo.

In this context, transfer recruiting can be so beneficial, but if not executed well, detrimental. I don’t blame Prohm for trying with Holden, but if we had added even a Chris Babb type redshirt transfer it helps a lot this year. The composition of the most recent class was ideal, it’s shortcomings stemming from McNeil ******* us and the unusually large quantity and quality needed.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
This is kind of looking like a program where we are going to get guys like them who aren't sure one and dones but they leave after two years, similar to Michigan with that Hardaway, Stauskas, Burke run. It's a good problem to have but it does cause problems when they are looked at as guys who will be around awhile but within one season they are gone and you have little time to reload.

So long as we have a few TWO and done guys (no more than one and a half per class?) I think we can sustain success. Prohm noted last night that EVERY team is like starting over at the beginning of the year regardless of makeup. If we sign four new guys every year, one leaves after his sophomore year (because he is NBA caliber) and one transfers (we know it happens), we end up with a consistent eight man rotation that has two future NBA players, four upper classmen (of which a few will play professionally after college), a spot transfer and hard working underclassman. Perfect.

Because we are not Kansas or Kentucky we likely will not get caught in the perpetual one and done (which I dislike anyway).

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I'm not sold on Wigginton & Lard being gone after their soph seasons. Wigginton projects as a point guard at the next level, and while he can score at a high clip and is freakishly athletic, he really doesn't have a point guard mentality. He isn't seeing things he probably should be at this point, and I don't think the learning curve is going to happen over the rest of this year and next in that department.

As for Lard, he won't be able to play post only basketball at the next level. He is going to have to develop a nice outside shot and some decent handles as well. 6'9 is a small/power forward size. Both need to be able to play the wing in the NBA.

What they are doing right now at the college level is undeniably fantastic, and I hope they continue to trend upwards, but it is such a big jump. Just think about it, can you see Lard guarding Lebron running point forward?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: brycy and Cyclad

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm not sold on Wigginton & Lard being gone after their soph seasons. Wigginton projects as a point guard at the next level, and while he can score at a high clip and is freakishly athletic, he really doesn't have a point guard mentality. He isn't seeing things he probably should be at this point and I don't think the learning curve is going to happen over the rest of this year and next in that department.

As for Lard, he won't be able to play post only basketball at the next level. He is going to have to develop a nice outside shot and some decent handles as well. 6'9 is a small-power forward size. Both need to be able to play the wing in the NBA.

What they are doing at right now in the college level is undeniably well, and I hope they continue to trend upwards, but it is such a big jump. Just think about it, can you see Lard guarding Lebron running point forward?
Guys leaving is often not dependent on being ready.

• Agree
Reactions: Allikat

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If they have the right people around them, giving them the right advice it is...(see Monte).
Which often isn’t the case.
And the draft is about potential, not about being ready, so the right advice easily could be to leave prior to what you posted above.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Which often isn’t the case.
And the draft is about potential, not about being ready, so the right advice easily could be to leave prior to what you posted above.
Unfortunately this is true.

European (and elsewhere in the world) is littered with players who got bad advice about coming out. I imagine many of them would love to have those lost college years back.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
As for Lard, he won't be able to play post only basketball at the next level. He is going to have to develop a nice outside shot and some decent handles as well. 6'9 is a small/power forward size. Both need to be able to play the wing in the NBA.
Jordan Bell would like to say hello...

Help Support Us

Become a patron