Accolades pile up for Cam Lard

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Wiggs + Cam is going to be awesome, hopefully for years to come. It's been a rough season compared to the last six, but they are playing some of the best freshman ball we've ever seen at ISU.....and there's two of them. At the same time.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He hit a nice ten footer last game, didn't he? Or maybe I'm remember wrong.
I’m not sure, but he’s shown nice range at times. Imo he already has a good enough mid-range game to pull defenders out, but is coached well enough to know why settle for that? The next step is getting respect from the refs like most star players get. If he added a 3P he’s a lottery pick.

Lard has surpassed even the most optimistic projections for this year. If you look at our starters averages you would have had a lot of people thinking we’d be a tournament team. Sigh

Last edited:

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
The ceiling is high for him. Just image if he developed a mid-range game, my goodness that would be scary.
I have been thinking the same thing. If he had a mid-range jumper and could be a beast on the boards, he would be damn near unstoppable. Very excited to see him improve over the next few years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Can anybody think of a better freshman duo nationally -- either just two players or a guard and a post combo -- that are likely to be back next year that are better than Wigginton and Lard looking into next season? There might be something, so not assuming necessarily it is those two, but I wonder if anybody out there would be, or what league those two are in.

If not nationally, at least in the Big 12 Conference?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Can anybody think of a better freshman duo nationally -- either just two players or a guard and a post combo -- that are likely to be back next year that are better than Wigginton and Lard looking into next season? There might be something, so not assuming necessarily it is those two, but I wonder if anybody out there would be, or what league those two are in.

Whar Nunge/Garza? :eek:

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

Well, Wigg and Lard are currently the top two scoring freshmen in the Big 12 that will return next year, so at least conference-wise, no.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I’m not sure, but he’s shown nice range at times. Imo he already has a good enough mid-range game to pull defenders out, but is coached well enough to know why settle for that? The next step is getting respect from the refs like most star players get. If he added a 3P he’s a lottery pick.

Lard has surpassed even the most optimistic projections for this year. If you look at our starters averages you would have had a lot of people thinking we’d be a tournament team. Sigh

I agree that he'll be unstoppable once he adds 3-pt shots. I think he'll shoot a few more next year and by the time he's a Junior he'll be hitting them at a high clip.

Reactions: Peter

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

I think Culver and Smith for Tech are sneaky good and both are very likely to be back. I haven't watched enough other conferences to have a good feel nationally, but I don't think I'd trade our guys for anyone.

upload_2018-2-13_15-11-16.png

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Zhaire Smith and Jarrett Culver are a duo that I've been really impressed with. They are a different style though (both being guards). I do still think Cam and Wiggi are better, although, that may be something to do with the amount they are expected to carry on each night. Nonetheless, I'd put them two up there with any duo other than ours.

Edit: dang @DurangoCy beat me to it

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Rather than worrying about the 3 point shot, I just hope Cam continues to perfect his back to the basket moves. Elite scorers from the post are a valuable commodity.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I am already terrified they are both gone after their sophomore years.

Wigginton likely will be gone after his sophomore year provided he progresses as the same rate that he has shown. I give Cam a 50/50 shot to leave after next year but see no reason why he wouldn't leave before his senior year with the progression of his game.

If both DO leave early they are leaving because they are likely NBA players and not G-League or Euro League players.

I think it actually bodes well for us long term. It shows potential recruits that Prohm can develop guards AND big men to play in the NBA (he already has the guard pipeline nailed).

Mixing a few two and done guys that go to the NBA along with four-year guys who can play after college (i.e. Young?) and spot transfers (i.e. Weiler-Babb) makes for sustainable high level success.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Wigginton likely will be gone after his sophomore year provided he progresses as the same rate that he has shown. I give Cam a 50/50 shot to leave after next year but see no reason why he wouldn't leave before his senior year with the progression of his game.

If both DO leave early they are leaving because they are likely NBA players and not G-League or Euro League players.

I think it actually bodes well for us long term. It shows potential recruits that Prohm can develop guards AND big men to play in the NBA (he already has the guard pipeline nailed).

Mixing a few two and done guys that go to the NBA along with a four-year guys who can play after college (i.e. Young?) and spot transfers (i.e. Weiler-Babb) makes for sustainable high level success.

I have just about zero confidence either will be around after next year. This is kind of looking like a program where we are going to get guys like them who aren't sure one and dones but they leave after two years, similar to Michigan with that Hardaway, Stauskas, Burke run. It's a good problem to have but it does cause problems when they are looked at as guys who will be around awhile but within one season they are gone and you have little time to reload.