ACC announces new FB schedule format for 2023

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I saw that since Texas A&M joined the SEC (like what 11 years ago now?) Georgia has yet to play in College Station and A&M has played at Georgia just once. That stuff needs to stop in all conferences.
tOSU has played in IA City once (2017) since their 2010 game.
Since IA plays there this year, I'm assuming tOSU comes to Kinnick in 2023?
That's crazy.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Not really.

Two divisions of 6, play everyone in your division on a home and away schedule. Play 3 of the 6 in the other division and the other 3 the next year in a home and away fashion

Accomplishes the same thing of playing everyone at least once in their own stadium every 4 years.
So you can have garbage like the Big 12 north vs south disparity? Or the Big 10 east vs west? Or the SEC east vs west?

• Winner
Reactions: cstrunk and DSMCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The sec schedule proves you can't have divisions and protected rivalries outside of those divisions. You have to pick one or teams will only be playing once a decade.

Im hoping for 3 or 4 protected games and rotate the rest. Don't really care how. Go outside the box and have a couple games scheduled based on results from the previous season. I like all the new teams but i only really care about playing the old big 8 teams. The rest can rotate however they need as long as we play them every couple of years.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Not really.

Two divisions of 6, play everyone in your division on a home and away schedule. Play 3 of the 6 in the other division and the other 3 the next year in a home and away fashion

Accomplishes the same thing of playing everyone at least once in their own stadium every 4 years.

And that’s how we got 6-6 Colorado playing 12-0 Texas. The goal is to match the 2 best teams in the championship game to maximize playoff potential.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Definitely want to keep our Big 8 brethren as our permanent opponents.

I prefer we stick to divisions until OuT is gone.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Ideally, conferences would be 8 or 10 teams, and confined to a coherent geographical region, like much of the conferences were before 1984. Things started to change with Oklahoma v NCAA, which allowed the individual schools the negotiate their own media rights, instead of the NCAA holding the rights of all the member institutions.

This meant that in order to get better deals with the broadcasters, the conferences had to create a more attractive offering of games and schools, while also trying to expand the number of potential viewers(customers) within their conference footprint.

Basically all of conference realignment going back 40 years ties back to that case: the SWC breaking up, the Big East being picked apart, and the raiding of the Big 12 and now OUT.
Off-topic of scheduling, but I’d argue this type of professionalization was inevitable as soon as they started putting athletes on scholarship in compensation for boosting the image of the school on the field. As soon as they differentiated student-athletes from regular students, this or similar was the only path available. Money and prestige drove that just as it drives things now.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don't really understand the dislike for the Pod format or this ACC format. These are much better scheduling options than divisions.

If your underlying issue is with giant 14+ team conferences, well that ship sailed 15 years ago and there's no turning it around now.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ISU, KU, KSU
BU, TCU, BYU
TT, OSU, UH
WV, CU, UCF

Football: (8 conference games plus 2-round CCG playoff)
  1. Guarantee you play alternating years against your pod. (2 games)
  2. Rotate 2/3 pods every year (6 games)
    1. You play H and away at every opponent every 4 years.
  3. 8 conference games leaving you a 9th conference game that serves the start of a 2-round Conference Championship playoff (1game)
    1. Tops 4 teams in each pod playoff for a spot in the CCG (AWESOME for TV inventories in the final week)
      1. ALL #2's and #3's play each other as well
        1. Highest ranked team in whatever metric you chose gets the host (more $$ for the school having a home game)
        2. #2 and #3 game losers go to the bottom on the pecking order for bowl selection

Basketball: (20 conference games)-9/12 play home and away annually
  1. Play home and away with everyone in your pod (4 games)
  2. Play 3 other pods at least once (9 games)
  3. Play 2/3 pods home and away (6 games)
  4. Final conference game of the year you do the pod playoff with #1's, #2's, and #3's playing each other (1 game)
    1. Tie-breaker and home court determined by NET rating

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Ideally, conferences would be 8 or 10 teams, and confined to a coherent geographical region, like much of the conferences were before 1984. Things started to change with Oklahoma v NCAA, which allowed the individual schools the negotiate their own media rights, instead of the NCAA holding the rights of all the member institutions.
If I was King for a Day, we'd have 8 conferences with 10 teams each, geographically set up. Each conference winner goes to the playoff. You're welcome.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ISU, KU, KSU
BU, TCU, BYU
TT, OSU, UH
WV, CU, UCF

Football: (8 conference games plus 2-round CCG playoff)
  1. Guarantee you play alternating years against your pod. (2 games)
  2. Rotate 2/3 pods every year (6 games)
    1. You play H and away at every opponent every 4 years.
  3. 8 conference games leaving you a 9th conference game that serves the start of a 2-round Conference Championship playoff (1game)
    1. Tops 4 teams in each pod playoff for a spot in the CCG (AWESOME for TV inventories in the final week)
      1. ALL #2's and #3's play each other as well
        1. Highest ranked team in whatever metric you chose gets the host (more $$ for the school having a home game)
        2. #2 and #3 game losers go to the bottom on the pecking order for bowl selection

Basketball: (20 conference games)-9/12 play home and away annually
  1. Play home and away with everyone in your pod (4 games)
  2. Play 3 other pods at least once (9 games)
  3. Play 2/3 pods home and away (6 games)
  4. Final conference game of the year you do the pod playoff with #1's, #2's, and #3's playing each other (1 game)
    1. Tie-breaker and home court determined by NET rating

Football Championship 2-Round Playoff Using 2021 Performance

Iowa State at Cincy
OSU and Baylor

WV at BYU
WV at K-State

KU at Tech
TCU at UCF

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I thought it was already rumored that ISU would have KU, KSU and BYU

Havent heard that. Just wishful thinking on my part. We will be accepting of anyone new though because thats who we are, but so far I see a lot of Texas diva complex in BYU. I dont know if that’s the best “protected” game for us.

• Winner
Reactions: DSMCy

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Off-topic of scheduling, but I’d argue this type of professionalization was inevitable as soon as they started putting athletes on scholarship in compensation for boosting the image of the school on the field. As soon as they differentiated student-athletes from regular students, this or similar was the only path available. Money and prestige drove that just as it drives things now.
Now you are talking 70 to 80 years here and not just the past 40 and TV. Interesting.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not really.

Easier said than done, at least for some conferences. Do you think fans would be ok with Ohio St. v. Michigan only happening every other year? Or Michigan v. Michigan St.? Assuming no, then you have to put them in the same division. It'll be the same for other rivalry/trophy games, like Iowa v. Wisco. Which gets us back to the issue of having one stacked division v. one weaker division.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not really.

This will only give you 8 conference games. The five in your division, plus the 3 from the other division. So the Big 12 would have to go back from 9 conference games to 8 again.

The ACC plan in the OP is not 3-3-5, but really 4-3-5 to get to a 12 game schedule.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This will only give you 8 conference games. The five in your division, plus the 3 from the other division. So the Big 12 would have to go back from 9 conference games to 8 again.

The ACC plan in the OP is not 3-3-5, but really 4-3-5 to get to a 12 game schedule.

ACC and SEC play 8 games, no reason for us to continue when we go back to divisions. 9 games made sense for the round robin. Hell make it 8 conference games and force everyone to have a P5 OOC game for all I care.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So you can have garbage like the Big 12 north vs south disparity? Or the Big 10 east vs west? Or the SEC east vs west?
The North was much better than the South for a decade when the Big12 started.

Nebby, the Vampire, and Richard Milhouse Newweasel's Colorado Buffaloes were all great teams while Howard Schnellenberger and John Mackovic flailed around down south.