ACC announces new FB schedule format for 2023

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
ACC and SEC play 8 games, no reason for us to continue when we go back to divisions. 9 games made sense for the round robin. Hell make it 8 conference games and force everyone to have a P5 OOC game for all I care.
I agree with this, especially from a competitive standpoint. An 8 conference game slate with a required P5 OOC ensures more chances for teams outside the conference to see Big 12 teams in action, and have a more direct comparison between the conferences. Plus this opens up more variety in scheduling year to year.

Does everyone here realize that ISU has played the same 10 teams every year since 2012 (Exception of no Iowa in 2020)? The only flexibility in our current schedule is the two OOC games that we typically get a MVC team, and some random G5. Since 2012 we have played 8 games against the Missouri Valley, 4 against the MAC, 2 each against the AAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt, and even one against the the Pioneer league (Drake which was supposed to be South Dakota State game)

Outside of bowl games, there is little opportunity for ISU to play in front of new crowds, and generate much attention outside the Big 12. The new Big 12 means we will get to travel to new areas on a more consistent basis. But the real boon would be if we had the room in the schedule for adding an additional P5 OOC.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Big 12 should do a 3-3-3 format.

Three permanent opponents in three groups of four...

"NEW KIDS"
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
West Virginia

"OLD BIG EIGHT"
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

"TEXAS TEA"
Baylor
Houston
TCU
Texas Tech

Play 3/4 in the opposite groups every season for another three and three to add up to nine.

Guarantee everybody one road game in Texas per year.

No divisions -- best two play in the CCG.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

"NEW KIDS"
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
West Virginia

"OLD BIG EIGHT"
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

"TEXAS TEA"
Baylor
Houston
TCU
Texas Tech

Play 3/4 in the opposite groups every season for another three and three to add up to nine.

Other than s***ty travel for the new kids, I don't hate that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

"NEW KIDS"
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
West Virginia

"OLD BIG EIGHT"
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

"TEXAS TEA"
Baylor
Houston
TCU
Texas Tech

I've seen worse ideas.

Don't mean that to sound like a back-handed compliment ... It does allow playing maximum teams in the other two-thirds. Only flaw, to me, BYU being too far removed geographically from the Far East. Maybe swap BYU & Houston (would have to rename the divisions).

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
To be fair a 20 team conference can basically be 2, 10 team divisions with a round robin each. Top 2 in each division go to quarter final of conference, winners to conference Championship. Conference champions go to 4 team, National championship Playoff.

I believe the SEC was hinting of an internal playoff a few weeks ago, although I doubt they were thinking beyond their own conference.

3, 20 team conferences... 4 playoff spots = 3 champs and an at-large or G5. Or maybe you go 4, 20 team conferences, But that would mean elevating enough G5 teams to fill in the extra spots to get to the 80 teams.

Probably would never happen but it would work.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I put a rivalry grid together for the new Big 12 a while back, and I just made one to include OUT. In the new Big 12, I have ISU slated to play against KSU, OSU, and WVU every year.

For a 14 team conference playing 8 conference games it would be the 3/5/5 schedule (3 annual rivals, play 5 of the other ten alternating each year). If it was a 9 game conference schedule it would be a 3/6/4 arrangement, meaning you play the non-rivals 3 times in 5 years. For a 12 team league, it will be 3/5/3 (8 conf. games) or 3/6/2 (9 conf. games), meaning we will play the non-rivals either 5 times over 8 years, or 3 times over 4 years.

My preference (from an ISU perspective) would be for 8 conference games, with the focus on adding a regional P5 non-con opponent (Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Colorado, Illinois) every year for the 12th game.

Big 12 (w/o OUT)
View attachment 100148

Big 12 (w/ OUT)
View attachment 100147
On this avenue, do we think they will make a special system like this for a couple years just for OUT. Giving them their own 3 teams?

I would say we only make their guaranteed game is each other, otherwise they play a random schedule for the remaining years they are in conf. Otherwise it just causes us to make a new system twice....if we do something like this.

Everyone gets 3 teams, OUT only hast each other. Simply for scheduling purposes. But maybe we cant do such a thing.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
As an NCSU fan secondarily, excited about this for the most part. Glad to be playing Duke and UNC every year finally. And bummed about Wake Forest. For those unaware, NCSU-WF has been played every single year since 1902, with 0 breaks. It's really sad to lose this annual tradition, and I would have preferred the 3 rivals to be Clemson, UNC, and Wake. But besides that, glad to see the ACC is embracing the future.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron