Abandoned Golf Course in Newton

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I recently moved my daughter to Newton and noticed a nice but abandoned golf course on the West end of town. The land is for sale. I am a golfer (not a very good one though) and it looks like it was a pretty nice course at one time. It makes me sad to see abandoned golf courses (there is another in Western Iowa I drive by too on my way to Atlantic). Anyway, does anyone know the story behind it and if it was a good course? I bet it was affected by Maytag leaving town. Thanks!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I recently moved my daughter to Newton and noticed a nice but abandoned golf course on the West end of town. The land is for sale. I am a golfer (not a very good one though) and it looks like it was a pretty nice course at one time. It makes me sad to see abandoned golf courses (there is another in Western Iowa I drive by too on my way to Atlantic). Anyway, does anyone know the story behind it and if it was a good course? I bet it was affected by Maytag leaving town. Thanks!
Sounds like a side job/investment for you.

Reactions: JVAR

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Arsenal Country Club, the second oldest private club in Illinois was located on Arsenal Island, a huge military base near the Illinois shoreline of the Mississippi in Rock Island, IL. The opening four holes run along the river with the original top brass homes on the other side. Beautiful.

The club operated on a 99 year lease. After several short-term renewals, the DoD decided not to renew anymore two falls ago.

I was on base last fall. You could barely notice where the course was.

So sad.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I grew up in Newton and for quite a while it was the Newton Country Club. That closed maybe 10ish years ago? It was then bought and became a public course called Cardinal Hills Golf Course. And hearing that its now abandoned is news to me, so that must have been fairly recent. (Like 3-4 years). Somebody who currently lives there can provide a more accurate timeline. I haven’t played it for a few years. Maytag leaving town had a big hit on the country club, along with basically every other business. It was a nice 9 hole course. Westwood just outside Newton on the West side is a nice 18 hole course. Worth playing when you visit your daughter.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If you were looking for a course to play in the area I'd recommend Bos Landen in Pella.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Grandparents live right near there and used to play it all the time. Pretty sure it was shut down several years ago. I do believe, much like everything else in Newton, it was greatly affected by Maytag leaving town. Remarkable the difference in that town before/after Maytag.

• Agree
Reactions: cyphoon and JVAR

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Atleast it hasn't been turned into cornfield already. Have 2 with 15 miles that were nice little 9 hole coarses. By the next spring both were planted with crops. That's been in the last 10 years

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
If you were looking for a course to play in the area I'd recommend Bos Landen in Pella.

I’m playing there tomorrow. Plan on getting 36 holes in. Played 45 at Honey Creek in Boone on Wednesday, and a quick 9 at Copper Creek last night (last tee time they had).

As for Bos, if you haven’t played there before, prepare for a ton of blind shots. I love that track (except the 14th hole which is downright stupid), but it takes a few rounds to figure out how to play it. A lot of position golf is necessary there.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I seem to remember one called Oakland Acres that was in that area?

Is that it?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I’m playing there tomorrow. Plan on getting 36 holes in. Played 45 at Honey Creek in Boone on Wednesday, and a quick 9 at Copper Creek last night (last tee time they had).

As for Bos, if you haven’t played there before, prepare for a ton of blind shots. I love that track (except the 14th hole which is downright stupid), but it takes a few rounds to figure out how to play it. A lot of position golf is necessary there.

I would have had to bring 50 balls if I wanted to play 45 holes of Honey Creek in 1 day.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1 and mdk2isu

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

I've never played Bos but it's on my list. I almost like the courses where position golf is key better than a wide open, long course.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
As was previously stated, was a country club until Maytag left. Then turned into a public course, which failed after 5 or so years. Now, it's being sold as plots of land to build houses on. I think there have been a few houses built, but over all, it's been a failed project.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum and aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron