Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
So, that would leave C-USA with (if I'm not forgetting anyone):
FIU
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
UTEP
Western Kentucky
--> Pending the WAC revivial, UTEP is gone, too.
If the MAC wanted to take a look at expansion, MTSU and WKU fit decently and aren't too far outside their current geographic footprint.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
That's what folks say about the B12. What if we are too close to notice?
I don't believe so. The teams we took at least look the part. Big markets is only 1 piece. They have nice stadiums and fan support. Competitive in FB and BB (outside of UCF in BB). Big 12 nailed it with 4 all around quality schools. Sounds like our revenue drop won't be nearly as bad as some predicted.

AAC just took large markets with zero regard to how competitive they are in sports. It looks like a watered down league, vastly different than their current league. They are already way behind in revenue and I expect their next contract will equate to far less per member.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't believe so. The teams we took at least look the part. Big markets is only 1 piece. They have nice stadiums and fan support. Competitive in FB and BB (outside of UCF in BB). Big 12 nailed it with 4 all around quality schools. Sounds like our revenue drop isn't nearly as bad as some predicted.

AAC just took large markets with zero regard to how competitive they are in sports. It looks like a watered down league, vastly different than their current league. They are already way behind in revenue and I expect their next contract will equate to far less per member.

Has the Big 12 released details or projections from its new media deal post OU and UT?

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
If the Sun Belt pulls that off, C-USA would be down to five schools and few options. Liberty would be #6. They probably could add New Mexico State and UMass to get to the NCAA minimum of 8, but that is an awful league.

More likely that UTEP (and NMSU) joins the WAC when it becomes an FBS conference again. Western Kentucky and maybe Middle Tennessee State could try to get into the MAC. Louisiana Tech and FIU are really screwed if this happens and might end up forced into being independents.

Ironically WKU and MTSU left the Sun Belt for CUSA just 9 years ago. How the turntables…
Maybe they can get Drake. That gave Iowa State more than they could handle in 2018.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
So, that would leave C-USA with (if I'm not forgetting anyone):
FIU
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
UTEP
Western Kentucky
--> Pending the WAC revivial, UTEP is gone, too.
Geography those schools are all over the place with the exception of W KY and Middle Tenn. as noted above those two could try to beg to join the MAC, but what a mess with those that are left. I suppose they could try to hang together in the short term to collect the exit fees, but long term outlook for those schools would probably be better as independents while knowing there are some scheduling options out there with each other as Indy.

Reactions: cyclones500

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Sounds like CUSA is going to reach for some of the FCS teams that got left behind in the Southland when a bunch of their members left for the ASun

McNeese
Lamar
Houston Baptist
SE Louisiana
Northwestern State

There is absolutely no way this should be allowed but when you have the absolutely spineless, feckless NCAA running things, this is what's going to happen. Outside of McNeese those are just horrible FCS programs.

• Informative

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Geography those schools are all over the place with the exception of W KY and Middle Tenn. as noted above those two could try to beg to join the MAC, but what a mess with those that are left. I suppose they could try to hang together in the short term to collect the exit fees, but long term outlook for those schools would probably be better as independents while knowing there are some scheduling options out there with each other as Indy.
If the LaTech, FIU, and UTEP are the only ones left over, there likely wont be any exit fees to collect. All of the exiting schools can just vote to dissolve the conference. Like you said, they can probably form loose alliances with the other indies (UMass, UConn, Liberty, NMSU) and try to stay afloat for a while that way.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My knowledge of what I'll loosely call "third-tier G5" schools is almost non-existent -- curious for those more in-the-know, how is Louisiana Tech not a candidate for Sun Belt addition? (Or maybe it was close but missed cut-off for selection).

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Valid observation, removing league-homer goggles ... I guess it's like this: Big 12 has become a back-fill conference, but it's the Premium Back-Fill conference.

Although it is not necessarily doomed to stay that way. WKU and MTSU left the Sun Belt for CUSA less than a decade ago because it was an upgrade. And now they’re stuck in a dying league while the Sun Belt poaches other CUSA schools. Wouldn’t be too surprising for the Big 12/Pac-12 to play this role and maybe Colorado gets left out like WKU/MTSU.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
My knowledge of what I'll loosely call "third-tier G5" schools is almost non-existent -- curious for those more in-the-know, how is Louisiana Tech not a candidate for Sun Belt addition? (Or maybe it was close but missed cut-off for selection).
La tech gave the bird to the Sun belt schools previously and now there are hard feelings.

• Informative

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Has the Big 12 released details or projections from its new media deal post OU and UT?

I doubt we will hear anything for quite some time. I would bet the Big10 and Pac12 deals will be negotiated first. After those deals are firmed up, it will be the Big12's turn.

I guess if Texas & OU move on early, then we could see some movement. Probably just an update to the existing FOX and ESPN contracts that expire in 2025.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
La tech gave the bird to the Sun belt schools previously and now there are hard feelings.

To add to that, LaTech and ULM DO NOT like each other, to the point that they refused to play each other from 2000 up to last year. They only played last year because COVID rules forced their hands scheduling wise. Tech even refused to play against ULM in the 2012 Independence Bowl in Shreveport, LA.

• Informative

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Sounds like CUSA is going to reach for some of the FCS teams that got left behind in the Southland when a bunch of their members left for the ASun

McNeese
Lamar
Houston Baptist
SE Louisiana
Northwestern State

There is absolutely no way this should be allowed but when you have the absolutely spineless, feckless NCAA running things, this is what's going to happen. Outside of McNeese those are just horrible FCS programs.
I think the problem is that the NCAA does NOT run things and conferences are free to do whatever they want essentially.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
If the MAC wanted to take a look at expansion, MTSU and WKU fit decently and aren't too far outside their current geographic footprint.
MAC probably will snatch them up. From ESPN’s point of view, it’s free real estate.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
To add to that, LaTech and ULM DO NOT like each other, to the point that they refused to play each other from 2000 up to last year. They only played last year because COVID rules forced their hands scheduling wise. Tech even refused to play against ULM in the 2012 Independence Bowl in Shreveport, LA.

This story is actually funnier and has more Iowa State connections. In 2012 LaTech went 9-3 and had Bruce Van De Velde as their AD. They got an Independence Bowl invite but BVDV had been talking to the Liberty Bowl. He tried to put the Independence on ice to see if he could get in the Liberty and then the Independence moved on. Meanwhile the Big 12 ended up with more bowl teams than tie-ins and the Liberty had the option of grabbing a school known to travel very well… they did so and took Iowa State over LaTech. LaTech was left without a bowl and ended its season at 9-3 while some 6-6 teams (including ISU) went bowling. And BVDV never recovered.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
MAC probably will snatch them up. From ESPN’s point of view, it’s free real estate.

The thing about the MAC is that it is incredibly compact and has lots of very small budget programs. They might be happy being able to take buses to more than half of their games. Buffalo and DeKalb to Murfreesboro really stretches things, plus WKU and MTSU have been conference hoppers before.

Help Support Us

Become a patron