AAC and Sun Belt raiding C-USA

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I completely missed the memo about WAC resurfacing for football. From what I gather on-the-fly, it's FCS with goal to move up to FBS "later in the decade"?? Any word about that process? (I'm curious if, given recent developments, if that'll happen).

The WAC wants to get to FBS as quickly as possible. Within the first half of this decade. They will have 8 members (since everyone expects NMSU to join them) and I think it's fairly likely that if C-USA gets decimated here by the Sun Belt, UTEP will be WAC school #9.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The WAC wants to get to FBS as quickly as possible. Within the first half of this decade. They will have 8 members (since everyone expects NMSU to join them) and I think it's fairly likely that if C-USA gets decimated here by the Sun Belt, UTEP will be WAC school #9.

Thanks for info. UTEP totally belongs in WAC, compared to anywhere else. I agree C-USA will die on the vine unless there's an influx of schools jumping from FCS to FBS.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Thanks for info. UTEP totally belongs in WAC, compared to anywhere else. I agree C-USA will die on the vine unless there's an influx of schools jumping from FCS to FBS.

The WAC needs to add UTEP, Texas State and Northern Arizona and that gets them a nice tidy 12. Texas State is on an island in the Sun Belt now.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Not only does the WAC want to move to FBS but the new Atlantic Sun is supposedly trying to move to FBS as well. Not sure if any of those schools are ready to move at this time should C-USA ask?
Interesting that as the gap widens financially between the big boys and others that the number if FBS schools continues to grow. You’d have to imagine some sort of split occurs in the future, right?

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not only does the WAC want to move to FBS but the new Atlantic Sun is supposedly trying to move to FBS as well. Not sure if any of those schools are ready to move at this time should C-USA ask?
Interesting that as the gap widens financially between the big boys and others that the number if FBS schools continues to grow. You’d have to imagine some sort of split occurs in the future, right?

The thing that has always made sense is that the P5 split off and do their own 65 team thing.

Then the G5 plus the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA and new WAC form their own level with 72-75 scholarships and their own 32 team playoff.

It makes so much sense that only us message board idiots can see it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The thing that has always made sense is that the P5 split off and do their own 65 team thing.

Then the G5 plus the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA and new WAC form their own level with 72-75 scholarships and their own 32 team playoff.

It makes so much sense that only us message board idiots can see it.

Agreed, although there soon will be 69 Power 5 programs. Nice

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Wouldn't that add like 4 more Texas schools to the FBS?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Wouldn't that add like 4 more Texas schools to the FBS?

It would add five: Abilene Christian, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston, and Tarleton State. That would bring the count of Texas FBS programs to 17!

There are Texas FBS schools in the SEC, Big 12, Sun Belt, C-USA, American, and soon to be WAC. That would be 6 of 11 FBS conferences, and 17 of about 140 FBS schools.

JD4560

Nov 12, 2015
When UNI wrestled in the MAC there were some very preliminary discussions but they never went anywhere. UNI is a disaster right now from an athletic administration standpoint so it's probably best that it didn't happen.

Once Ben Jacobson leaves after this year (he's incredibly unhappy), UNI becomes a doormat in The Valley and, most likely, never recovers. The glory days of UNI Athletics have been over for a while and we're just waiting on that final nail.
UNI wrestling I think is probably doing pretty decent yet isn't it? I mean Schwab is from Osage and gets a lot of decent to good instate kids so people still follow it I would think. I know a lot of people in my area do. I've noticed the following for football in the dome just isn't what it used to be. That place used to be packed all the time and now I saw a picture of one of the home games and I think they fill up more in the high school playoffs.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
UNI wrestling I think is probably doing pretty decent yet isn't it? I mean Schwab is from Osage and gets a lot of decent to good instate kids so people still follow it I would think. I know a lot of people in my area do. I've noticed the following for football in the dome just isn't what it used to be. That place used to be packed all the time and now I saw a picture of one of the home games and I think they fill up more in the high school playoffs.

Wrestling is in good shape. They've got their own booster club and pretty much run their own show and the department leaves them alone.

The Dome looked like a Class A semifinal after halftime last weekend. It's real bad.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
MAC and SBC should each take enough of CUSA to disband it. Those schools should then write a joint letter to the American granting them the rights to use the name Conference USA because it would be hilarious.

Reactions: khardbored

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
C-USA will now be down to 5 members, with the AAC and Sun Belt both expanding to 14.

It sounds like Liberty would accept a C-USA invite (and 6 is the NCAA minimum for a conference) but it's not clear if anyone else, including independents like New Mexico State or UMass, would agree to join this zombie conference.

C-USA will probably try to expedite the elevation of some FCS schools who have been looking into it - the WAC and Atlantic Sun are both exploring that right now.

It's wild that C-USA might die as an extended result of OU and UT deciding to bail on the Big 12.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
College football will be nuts in a few years. Texas will struggle to stay relevant...throw millions of dollars away to waste it. OU will never go undefeated in the SEC and likely makes a playoff maybe once every 3-4 years at best.

Big 12 won't be as sexy at the top but will still be damn competitive...not to mention basketball will be as strong as ever.

Interesting note WVU is about the same distance from Cincinnati as ISU is to KSU. So a drivable game for those folks.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron