A very brief 8-19-17 scrimmage report

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Much of the same as last week, I'm told. Basically the 2's and 3's duking it out for depth chart positioning. Not many highlights. They could be just being tight-lipped but I doubt it. Not really anything at all to report.

These are the kinds of insights you can't just get anywhere! :)

But seriously, I don't really care if the staff is being tight lipped about scrimmages, practices, etc. Just win on Saturdays.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
These are the kinds of insights you can't just get anywhere! :)

But seriously, I don't really care if the staff is being tight lipped about scrimmages, practices, etc. Just win on Saturdays.

I don't think they are. I think they feel really comfortable with the ones and want to protect them. A lot more questions in with the twos and threes so they want to get that figured out.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Campbell was talking about how far ahead they are this year. All the stars are aligning. I mean there's a total lunar eclipse this year. If ISU were EVER going to have a break out year, now is the time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Campbell was talking about how far ahead they are this year. All the stars are aligning. I mean there's a total lunar eclipse this year. If ISU were EVER going to have a break out year, now is the time.

Ahem..

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Should I be "that guy" and say that I was at the scrimmage but won't say anything about it because we aren't supposed to?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agree, but more directly at the trenches.....

Sure. That's been the toughest place to build up good depth. But generally it's been a problem across the board. The front line guys have been OK (with some exceptions where it was just bad all the way through), but where the team consistently gets exposed is the steep dropoff from the 1s to the 2s. The college football season is a battle of attrition, and every year we just haven't had enough guys who are not only talented but physically ready.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I hope they do. Quality depth has been an Achilles heel for the program forever.

Agreed. I've always felt our 1s can hang, but as soon as there is an injury or two, or the 1s need a breather, we're screwed.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I saw on twitter that walk-on DB Jamal Richardson tore his Achilles. Bummer as I believe he was a solid special teams contributor the past few years.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Agreed. I've always felt our 1s can hang, but as soon as there is an injury or two, or the 1s need a breather, we're screwed.
I still sticking to my comment, as I believe the Offense and Defensive backbone is the line, and if you don't have the depth in the line, those lines get run through the grinder and the best players in the world outside of those lines get overly exposed.....

Reactions: mj4cy