A positive thing to take away from this L

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
There is no positive after that beat down. None.

A seven point loss is not a beat down. In fact, as badly as the 'Clones played tonight, losing by only seven shows how close the the team was to victory. ISU plays like it did against Baylor, and they beat the Jayhawks by double digits. Gotta block out, rebound and score off the break; plus run the offense efficiently. Nothing that can't be corrected before the Texas game.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's what happens when you miss 48 shots. Lots of opportunities to grab rebounds.

Yeah, but when you're bricking 3s there should be plenty of offensive rebounding opportunities by our smaller quicker team. Yet, we were mostly one and done.

This game was a beatdown by a KU team that couldn't get out of their own way. They played good post D, and were pretty decent shooting the 3, but they played poor perimeter D as well. We weren't even shooting many contested 3s. They destroyed us on the offensive glass but so will most teams in the conference.
KU has a lot of talent and made some great plays. It makes you forget just how poorly they played. Overall this was a bad basketball game. Only positives to me were that Morris was aggressive and made some good plays and the Kane injury seems to not be a problem.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
A seven point loss is not a beat down. In fact, as badly as the 'Clones played tonight, losing by only seven shows how close the the team was to victory. ISU plays like it did against Baylor, and they beat the Jayhawks by double digits. Gotta block out, rebound and score off the break; plus run the offense efficiently. Nothing that can't be corrected before the Texas game.

The only reason this game was close is because KU had over 20 turnovers and fouled like crazy.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Matt Thomas played very well. That's a positive I suppose.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That was a beatdown. Kansas tried handing us the game and still kicked our ***** around pretty good. If you told me we forced over 20 turnovers I'd say we crushed them. We forced more than 20 and got it taken to us.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
If you really want a positive Monte Morris continues to play with incredible poise, especially for a Freshmen. The guy is a player, continue to develop that shot and the sky is the limit.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Yes, this is true, but if KU plays like they did vs. KSU on Sat. and they beat us by 25. It was not a beatdown score-wise, but they committed 24 TOs and were in control the whole game. Also, Baylor was our most complete game by miles, and we haven't come close to matching it.

Losing to a good team on the road and a good, talented KU team at home is no reason to melt down. But we were never a real threat in that game barring something flukish happening in addition to the massive number of unforced TOs Kansas committed.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Monte Morris continues to impress. He's good now, but he's going to be a great Cyclone.

In all actuality, we were a couple of made threes, a couple of bad turnovers, or a couple of Hilton bounces (what was up with layups rolling out?) away from winning this game (despite looking like we were being dominated).

Anyone who has been watching basketball knew KU was coming into Hilton at their peak... Usually avoid the boards after losses like this... Whiny little two year olds come out to post.

For me, the Team didn't give up, at least not until it was truly over. 3s didn't fall, stuff happens, but surprised me that they didn't fall at Hilton (they sure as **** were falling for KU).

Niang and Kane were desperately trying to get something started. Not going to blame them for trying to make something happen. In some cases they were just trying too hard. (driving to the basket/Niang's threes)

As for KU...

Embiid is getting crazy good (gonna go #1 imo), and he's finally hitting his stride. Nevermind Wiggins, (we can weather a classic KU player), Embiid made life tough. Our runs occurred while he wasn't in the game, and he had a freaking run of his own in the early minutes of the 2nd half. We ran into KU at the wrong time.

KU has a deeeeeep bench of big guys. A bench they can use to beat Niang and Ejim down. They also did a great job defending the three and only giving open shots to Niang for the most part. Had those started dropping, it would have changed the gameplan for KU and opened up some stuff for Ejim, Hogue, & Kane.

I feared this game because I figured we were going to be too up for it. Even Fred gets fiery for KU (at least per Fred standards). We need to calm down, and quick, if we want to start winning some more games. Big 12 is a gauntlet.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
One positive: Remembering that we have some stupid fans on this board and throughout twitter. Didn't catch them when we were undefeated but they are coming out of the woodwork. @istatenation on twitter is one of them. Pretty sure whoever runs it is a member here. You're a dousche, bro.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The whole not being able to rebound thing isn't going to chance in Lawerence. We match up with their front court horribly.