A Nebraska fans thought on Coach Cotton

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have some family that live in Omaha and during a family Christmas we got to talking about the changes at Nebraska.

Life is good now in Nebraska the suicide rate is down and everything is back in order now that TO is in charge of the state again.

My cousin could not believe ISU got rid of Barney Cotton and was so happy he is back in Nebraska, until I got to talking about his coaching at ISU. With every negative point I stated he had an excuse to why it didnt work for him at ISU.

Stuff like he had the top QB and WR in school history and only they only scored 14 pts a game (well BC is going to be the OL coach at Neb), his OL gave up over 70 sacks in 2 years and they could not run the ball (the talent is better at Nebraska), 2 of the linemen were invited to NFL camps and a couple of them were fairly high recurits (well the linemen at Neb are bigger), these guys were all over 300lbs (the line at Nebraska is older), 4 of the 5 guys were srs (they must have been injured and shouldnt have been playing), the staff said the 2nd string wasnt ready (see I told you and your back wasnt good either) Hicks wasnt a great back but Nebraka had recurited him also, the guys that were not ready only allowed 10 sacks this year and had a good year out of 3 back (its Nebraska it will all work out and our weight program is the best in the nation so that will help and he is bring Ben Cotton and that is huge for the program), so a TE is going to save the FB program at Nebraksa. End of chat.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Your cousin is a KneeBraska fan, just be happy he doesnt hurt himself getting up in the morning. Maybe you can put a Barney Cotton sticker on his "helmet" after we beat them this year.
cartman_retard.jpg

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Stuff like he had the top QB and WR in school history and only they only scored 14 pts a game (well BC is going to be the OL coach at Neb) .

Ok, this is where I disagree because Meyer is not even in my top 3 of all-time best QB's at ISU. I don't care how many records he holds, Sage, Seneca, and Bandhauer were better. I won't disagree about Cotton though, he was not good here!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Ok, this is where I disagree because Meyer is not even in my top 3 of all-time best QB's at ISU. I don't care how many records he holds, Sage, Seneca, and Bandhauer were better. I won't disagree about Cotton though, he was not good here!

Well I agree on the QB thing but it proved my point to him. To forget about the past and to him Meyer was the best ever. He also mentioned ISU will have a rough year coming up due to the fact that Meyer would be gone.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I can't believe he kept arguing after you pointed out the sack differential between Cotton's lines and McFarland's lines -- especially considering the supposed "greater talent" Cotton had to work with.

ojnab_bob

Aug 25, 2006
I am a big Husker fan, but I also am a Cyclone fan and attended most of ISU's games in 2004-2006. Kingcy, I fully share your opinion re Cotton, and the Husker naivete is not limited to your cousin, I'm afraid. I posted some statistics on a Husker board backing the thesis that Cotton is a terrible OL and OC, but was greeted either with stony silence or statements that I was a "bad fan". My analysis is below; it's safe to say that I am concerned about the new NU staff:

"I'm not sure about whether Cotton is a good O-line coach or not, but the stats you point to are hardly demonstrative of his O-line coaching abilities. Sure we were 7th in the nation in rushing yards/game that year, but we also had the 3nd lowest YPC of the top-30 teams in the nation in rushing yards/game. Also, the O-line that year gave up a sack about 1/10 passing attempts, which is a high percentage, especially considering we had a very mobile QB."

Correct - while the 2003 NU team ran the ball OK (4.3 ypc), it was not close to the previous ypg or ypc averages we'd been used to from 1980-2001 (5.5+ ypc). Ironically, the star-crossed 6-6 2002 team, which Cotton was NOT a part of, was _much_ better at rushing offense in terms of both ypg and ypc. Moreover, under Cotton at ISU, the OL was hideously bad at run blocking in 2005 and 2006 with a veteran line:

(Rushing Offense)

2002 4th Nebraska 14 724 3762 5.20 29 268.71 7 7 0 (NO Cotton)
2003 7th Nebraska 13 716 3063 4.28 28 235.62 10 3 0 (Cotton OC & OL)
Cotton fired
2004 73rd Iowa St. 12 536 1701 3.17 11 141.75 7 5 0 (Cotton OC & OL)
2005 96th Iowa St. 12 491 1328 2.70 20 110.67 7 5 0 Cotton OC & OL
2006 99th Iowa St. 12 401 1221 3.04 16 101.75 4 8 0 Cotton OC & OL
Cotton fired

2.7 and 3.0 yards per carry when he was directly responsible for the offense.

There just is no statistical evidence whatsoever that Barney Cotton is a good OL coach, or that the running game improved under his watch; in fact, the opposite is true. Where is the statistical evidence for people who support him other than the blind assertion that "he's great"?

Not trying to buzzkill Pelini here, as I think most of his staff is fine and I want him to win and win big. I just have a real problem being criticized when there are facts that support the position that Cotton is not a superb OL coach.

In his 3rd year as OL/OC ISU barely averaged 100 yards per game. 3 years is enough time to see progress, and that average hardly is a ringing endorsement.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

What about Alex Espinoza? Just kidding!

Seriously, however, David Archer was a pretty decent QB at ISU.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Come on any one who watched his offense knows he is like Tommy 20 years behind time

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Well, my response would be that he put our biggest, slowest OL (Scott Fisher) at LT. Not sure why. But it allowed the opposing RE to basically beat Meyer to a pulp game after game. The 2004 and 2005 teams won IN SPITE of their OL, not because of it. Also, McFarland had a better OL in 2007 with ONE returning starter than Cotton had in any of his years at ISU, even the year he had four starters coming back.

As OL coaches (and OC's) I don't think the two coaches are even comparable. Now, I know he'll probably have better talent at NU, but I'm glad he's there rather than here.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
You guys all know I bleed the scarlet and cream. You can add me to the list of those who aren't impressed with Barney "fing" Cotton. This hire was just a head scratcher from the start and even though Pelini says he wanted Cotton, Osborne had to have been nudging Pelini towards guys like Cotton and Ron Brown who's been out of the game for four years.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why do I have this feeling that Tom Osborne is going to single-handedly ruin Bo Pelini's head coaching career?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
You guys all know I bleed the scarlet and cream. You can add me to the list of those who aren't impressed with Barney "fing" Cotton. This hire was just a head scratcher from the start and even though Pelini says he wanted Cotton, Osborne had to have been nudging Pelini towards guys like Cotton and Ron Brown who's been out of the game for four years.

And the sad thing is, this plan will probably work out for the huskers.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
The guy I sit next to is a Nebraska grad. He was very excited when the news came out that Barney was back at Nebraska.

His son just got done with school out there and pretty much said the same thing. THe overall feeling in Lincoln is that it's a good thing. Wow.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
get this, shortly after Callahan was fired, Osborne was on the phone to Cotton "welcoming him back into the Husker family" and the day after Pelini was hired, Cotton and Ron Brown were moving into the Husker complex.

Tom Osborne cann't re-retire soon enough

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This is nothing more than the "good old boys club" returning to town with a couple new guys mixed in.

It seems to me, the head coach is gonna be Osborne with Pelini as a puppet. It will be very tough for all that to work without some heads banging...

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
This is nothing more than the "good old boys club" returning to town with a couple new guys mixed in.

It seems to me, the head coach is gonna be Osborne with Pelini as a puppet. It will be very tough for all that to work without some heads banging...

ISUFan, I've dubbed this coaching staff the "Dream Team" of coaching staffs circa 2003, because that's what it is. That said, Pelini did make a good hire in Tim Beck who came up from KU to coach RB's. Hopefully Beck is being groomed as a future OC so that if and/or when Watson has enough with the Trip Back into Time, Beck can take over play calling and Cotton will be kept as far away as possible from play calling.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I don't follow NE football. I know that Callahan moved them to the spread from the option. With Osbourne pulling the strings now, are they back to the option or sticking with the spread?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I don't follow NE football. I know that Callahan moved them to the spread from the option. With Osbourne pulling the strings now, are they back to the option or sticking with the spread?

It was more of a West Coast offense with a little bit of spread sprinkeled in towards the of the 2007 season. Both Pelini and Watson (the OC) has said there will no wholesale changes to the offense.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am a big Husker fan, but I also am a Cyclone fan and attended most of ISU's games in 2004-2006. Kingcy, I fully share your opinion re Cotton, and the Husker naivete is not limited to your cousin, I'm afraid. I posted some statistics on a Husker board backing the thesis that Cotton is a terrible OL and OC, but was greeted either with stony silence or statements that I was a "bad fan". My analysis is below; it's safe to say that I am concerned about the new NU staff:

"I'm not sure about whether Cotton is a good O-line coach or not, but the stats you point to are hardly demonstrative of his O-line coaching abilities. Sure we were 7th in the nation in rushing yards/game that year, but we also had the 3nd lowest YPC of the top-30 teams in the nation in rushing yards/game. Also, the O-line that year gave up a sack about 1/10 passing attempts, which is a high percentage, especially considering we had a very mobile QB."

Correct - while the 2003 NU team ran the ball OK (4.3 ypc), it was not close to the previous ypg or ypc averages we'd been used to from 1980-2001 (5.5+ ypc). Ironically, the star-crossed 6-6 2002 team, which Cotton was NOT a part of, was _much_ better at rushing offense in terms of both ypg and ypc. Moreover, under Cotton at ISU, the OL was hideously bad at run blocking in 2005 and 2006 with a veteran line:

(Rushing Offense)

2002 4th Nebraska 14 724 3762 5.20 29 268.71 7 7 0 (NO Cotton)
2003 7th Nebraska 13 716 3063 4.28 28 235.62 10 3 0 (Cotton OC & OL)
Cotton fired
2004 73rd Iowa St. 12 536 1701 3.17 11 141.75 7 5 0 (Cotton OC & OL)
2005 96th Iowa St. 12 491 1328 2.70 20 110.67 7 5 0 Cotton OC & OL
2006 99th Iowa St. 12 401 1221 3.04 16 101.75 4 8 0 Cotton OC & OL
Cotton fired

2.7 and 3.0 yards per carry when he was directly responsible for the offense.

There just is no statistical evidence whatsoever that Barney Cotton is a good OL coach, or that the running game improved under his watch; in fact, the opposite is true. Where is the statistical evidence for people who support him other than the blind assertion that "he's great"?

Not trying to buzzkill Pelini here, as I think most of his staff is fine and I want him to win and win big. I just have a real problem being criticized when there are facts that support the position that Cotton is not a superb OL coach.

In his 3rd year as OL/OC ISU barely averaged 100 yards per game. 3 years is enough time to see progress, and that average hardly is a ringing endorsement.

There was not much difference between the offenbsive stats when comparing 2006 and 2007. The passes in 07 were shorter so we had fewer sacks. It ran sopme mor eminutes off the clock. 15 yards more on offense and 15 yards less given up on defense. We still need much more improvement on botrh sides of the ball to get back to winning ways (7 or 8 wins). Turnover martgin in 05 really helped that team. Hicks had a better rushing year as a senior than our 3 backs did last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron