A&M Fires coach

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Gotta get started before NU comes looking for a new coach.

You hit it on the head...i was thinking the same thing over the weekend about Callahan...why not buy him out, get it out there and done with and then target the best available coach....not sit back wait to see who goes where and then your left with the scapes....I felt so excited with the process in which JP did his search, maybe even leaking some information to some here and there....hint hint and then KaBlam.....the coach hiring coup of this century......to pluck one of the brightest, high profile coaches out of a competitors staff was BRILLIANT i say Brilliant.....

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Sounds like recruiting in Texas may be especially good for a few years for us....Chizik already has a great rep in the state, this may open up a few more doors with recuits with a turnover at coach there.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
It is not over yet, he has not accepted the buy out. This is a leak by a former coach. Note that editiing is already going on by Sportsline. It will happen but it may not be done yet.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
yes, because he is so proven right now. Probably either ATM or Auburn will hire the greatest coach in the history of football...Dan McCarney, if Dan will have them.

Everybody take it easy on him. Even in jest, he's not saying anything that won't be uttered by every hawk fan within a 100 mile radius of Ames over the next few days or whenever a bigtime coaching job comes open. You know, everybody is just dying to jump ship at ISU. :nah:

Heck, the day after Alford got cut loose in Ia City, a hawk fan in Chicago asked me what I thought of the prospect of McDermott going to iowa - after only 1 year here.

:eek::wacko::wideeyed::biglaugh:

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
The Houston Chronicle is on this too...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5274772.html

They report Tubberville as the top candidate too, but they say that could be tricky because of his six million dollar buyout. Other candidates they list:

Cal HC Jeff Tedford
West Virginia HC Rich Rodriguez
North Carolina HC Butch Davis
South Carolina HC Steve Spurrier
Oregon HC Mike Belotti
Wisconisn AD Barry Alvarez
Auburn DC Will Muschamp
LSU DC Bo Pelini (Hey! I thought he was going to be the next HC at Nebraska!)
Houston Texans OC Mike Sherman

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Cal HC Jeff Tedford 10-1
West Virginia HC Rich Rodriguez20-1
North Carolina HC Butch Davis8-1
South Carolina HC Steve Spurrier30-1
Oregon HC Mike Belotti10-1
Wisconisn AD Barry Alvarez10-1
Auburn DC Will Muschamp5-1
LSU DC Bo Pelini (Hey! I thought he was going to be the next HC at Nebraska!)8-1
Houston Texans OC Mike Sherman5-1

Here are my odds

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
After how Pelini was treated at Nebraska, am I the only one that thinks he'd wait for a different job? I could see him interested in a position like aTm where he could play Nebraska twice every 4 years.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Coach out on Monday...and it ISN'T Callahan? simply: WOW

But yeah, you knew this was gonna happen sometime soon at A&M. All of a sudden Iowa State's schedule next year is looking EVEN better than it normally would when switching the south teams Texas, Okla, & Tech for Okie St, Baylor, & A&M.
Word on the street is that Callahan gets the ax after this weekend, with a bye week coming up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The Houston Chronicle is on this too...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5274772.html

They report Tubberville as the top candidate too, but they say that could be tricky because of his six million dollar buyout. Other candidates they list:

Cal HC Jeff Tedford
West Virginia HC Rich Rodriguez
North Carolina HC Butch Davis
South Carolina HC Steve Spurrier
Oregon HC Mike Belotti
Wisconisn AD Barry Alvarez

Auburn DC Will Muschamp
LSU DC Bo Pelini (Hey! I thought he was going to be the next HC at Nebraska!)
Houston Texans OC Mike Sherman

The folks in Red aren't going to happen. Tedford's got a good thing going at Cal, and he competes with USC (although so far unsuccessfully) for the Pac-10 title year in and out. Rodriguez turned down Alabama - if they weren't good enough for him, what makes aTm more special? Davis is in his first year at UNC - I don't see any first year coach just up and leaving. Spurrier's not going to leave the SEC. Belotti - with Nike dropping that kind of coin on the Oregon program, would YOU leave those kind of resources? I don't see Alvarez ever getting back into the coaching game (unless, of course, aTm's looking for a coach that can compete with JoePa and Bobby Bowden in the age category). Plus, recent years have shown that the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" brand of offense that the Big 10 has to offer is not only extremely boring to watch, but is becoming less and less competitive on the national stage in a year-in, year-out basis.

As far as those in green, I see those as serious possibilities, especially Pelini, who, even with the hiring of Osbourne in Nebraska, might still be looking to stick it to the Cornholios due to him not being good enough the first time around.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron