A look back

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
to 1999-2000. Our basketball team was already being written off, picked to finish dead last in the Big 12. Fizer, Tinsley & Co. then stunned the nation as we rose to the upper ranks of the NCAA, ranked as high as 6. After winning the Big 12 regular season and tourney titles, we made it to the Elite 8 before losing to MSU in their backyard.

With that memorable season in mind, I think the 2009-10 squad will turn heads as well. I'm not predicting 2000 level success, but with Brackins returning, Gilstrap & Colvin coming in, Hamilton and Garrett with experience under their belt, I think we're looking at a potentially special season for GMac and the Cyclones. Go State!

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
Is that true that they were picked dead last in the league? If so, that was about as big of a whiff as you can have right there.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
to 1999-2000. Our basketball team was already being written off, picked to finish dead last in the Big 12. Fizer, Tinsley & Co. then stunned the nation as we rose to the upper ranks of the NCAA, ranked as high as 6. After winning the Big 12 regular season and tourney titles, we made it to the Elite 8 before losing to MSU in their backyard.

I don't usually correct people on this board, but I felt compelled to on this ocassion because there have been so many analogies to the 99-00 team. That team was not picked to finish dead last. They were picked to finish 6th in the preseason!! A full two spots ahead of where our current Cyclones are selected.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204812805#

I see this 'stat' brandied about so much I felt the record had to be set straight. Coming into 99-00, the other Big 12 coaches knew we would be a better team. We had a returning McDonald's All-American in Fizer and a nationally regarded JUCO in Tinsley. We were not picked last (to hang-out with Baylor and lowly A&M).

Reactions: zach

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I see this 'stat' brandied about so much I felt the record had to be set straight. Coming into 99-00, the other Big 12 coaches knew we would be a better team. We had a returning McDonald's All-American in Fizer and a nationally regarded JUCO in Tinsley. We were not picked last (to hang-out with Baylor and lowly A&M).[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I'm through with unreliable sources:skeptical:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I don't usually correct people on this board, but I felt compelled to on this ocassion because there have been so many analogies to the 99-00 team. That team was not picked to finish dead last. They were picked to finish 6th in the preseason!! A full two spots ahead of where our current Cyclones are selected.

I see this 'stat' brandied about so much I felt the record had to be set straight. Coming into 99-00, the other Big 12 coaches knew we would be a better team. We had a returning McDonald's All-American in Fizer and a nationally regarded JUCO in Tinsley. We were not picked last (to hang-out with Baylor and lowly A&M).

That 6th place was by one prediction. I remember at the time they were also picked to finish 11th by another one, that was the prediction they always talked about that year, second to last.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
That 6th place was by one prediction. I remember at the time they were also picked to finish 11th by another one, that was the prediction they always talked about that year, second to last.

I think that's true as well, although I really can't find which poll ranked them that low in the Big 12. Although it's possible that people have been claiming ISU was picked 12th or 11th for so long that I've started to buy into it. It's similar to politics or history; if an untruth is cited so often as the truth, it eventually becomes the truth in the minds of men. Alas, only the victor's write the history books.

However, I've always found the Big XII coach's poll to be the most reliable/accurate and they picked the Cyclones to finish 6th that year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just think if that team had the luxury of playing the Big 12 championship game on Saturday night instead of Sunday afternoon. Might that have given them enough to land a #1 seed? We'll never know but glad the Big 12 finally moved that game up so the selection comittee can factor in the result sooner in the process.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I believe it was the 1995-6 team that was picked dead last in the Big 8 and ended up winning the conference tournament. Perhaps there is some transference there.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Thanks man. I'm through with unreliable sources:skeptical:[/QUOTE]

We have a returning stud big man and a nationally regarded juco this year as well. There are similarities. We weren't picked last but as low as 7th from what I found.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

A returning all-American and a highly regarded Juco?
:wideeyed:

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
All I know is that if this years team could somehow win the Big12 outright and win the conference tournament than the best we can hope for is a 2 seed in the big dance. :confused:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron