A little food for thought...

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Although for some the honeymoon period may have come to an end, something to consider is how our rival to the east fared in their first couple of seasons under KF. He was 4-19 during his first two seasons at Iowa, and it can be argued that he took over a team with more talent.

I love our guys, but don't forget where we are at. Last year we won four games and they all came down to the last few seconds.

Last year exposed a drop off in our talent level. You can't fix that quickly. It's going to take time to recruit and develop players. This new staff had to scramble to put together a recruiting class last season.

Bret had a bad game and we don't have enough talent to overcome that. Hopefully Bret can get that corrected.

My hope is that people don't lose hope, but keep realistic expectations. Winning at any level is more about talent then it is about X and Os.

You can have the best chef and the best recipe, but if you lack the ingredients, you're still not going to end up with a good product.

Last edited:

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Good points....I just sucks when you would rather get your gallbladder out opposed to watching more heartbreak. I guess a bunch of people were hoping for some signs of life. I can't see this team winning more than 2-3 games tops. Its just disappointing.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I understand what you're saying, but Hayden over stayed his welcome in Iowa City by about 5 years and left nothing in the cupboard for KF when he left. Recruiting was a mess. Mac left a lot more talent in the cupboard and Chizik had a lot more credibility coming in than KF did when he came to Iowa. That is why I'm so upset we lost to Kent State at home by 9 points. I agree things will get better, but that doesn't make me feel any better about last night.

That said, it's time to put last night where it belongs - in the past. And look forward to UNI.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Good points....I just sucks when you would rather get your gallbladder out opposed to watching more heartbreak. I guess a bunch of people were hoping for some signs of life. I can't see this team winning more than 2-3 games tops. Its just disappointing.

I do feel your pain. It seems like were always waiting. I do, however, feel that we finally have the right administration and coaching to build something special.

Our guys can do better than they did last night. Were not good enough to over come a negative turnover margin and critical penalties against a quality opponent.

Our guys are likely going to need their A game to get it done, but there are going to be games when they put all the pieces together and it will look a lot better than last night.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I understand what you're saying, but Hayden over stayed his welcome in Iowa City by about 5 years and left nothing in the cupboard for KF when he left. Recruiting was a mess. Mac left a lot more talent in the cupboard and Chizik had a lot more credibility coming in than KF did when he came to Iowa. That is why I'm so upset we lost to Kent State at home by 9 points. I agree things will get better, but that doesn't make me feel any better about last night.

I guess it's all relative..."alot more" than "nothing" still might not be very much.

SouthCyder

May 30, 2007
North Liberty, IA
There are a lot of things that I think Gene is going to take out of this game. He learned a lot about how our team performs in many different situations. They were so inconsistent that you can see what you've got. Obviously JJ Bass is going to be a solid contributer, Todd Blythe is who he is and can flat out play, we have something to work with on defense and Bret Meyer will shake off those cobwebs and come out guns blazin. He knows better than to make the mistakes he made, and I think that will play to his advantage.

It's just the first game, let's give them a few more chances for redemption and remain positive, and most of all...patient.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

That said, it's time to put last night where it belongs - in the past. And look forward to UNI.

Last years results and the subsequent replacement of Mac don't support your talent conclusion.