Ames
Re: An historical chart I made

This is our second worst conference win% in that time period.:no:
But, yeah, we should keep McD.:jimlad:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

It's been some time since I last took a stat class, but that trend is not something that is fun to look at toward the end of that graph :(

Like where we will be in two year?

idaclone

Jan 20, 2010
Southeast Idaho

Of the 5 worst conference records in the last 30 years, McD has 60% of them in 13.3% of the time. Does anyone need to see anything else?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Wow.. I had no idea that we have had only 7 winning conference seasons in the last 30 years.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

the 7 winning seasons in 30 years has been posted dozens of times...but that is a nice way of putting it in a chart.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola

where is the Pie chart mmmmmmmmmmmm PIE
Homer-Gotpie.jpg

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

Actually both are used. Personally I don't like seeing "an" historical, but it is used in academic texts regularly.

Google it and there is some debate over this.

I'm the same...don't like seeing it. So I became the Grammer police in this thread, when I'm probably the least likely to ever have good Grammer in most of my posts.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
To the people saying "this proves we aren't elite"

Some people are using this data as an opportunity to say it proves we were never elite -- as if that somehow means we have no right to demand excellence, but that's a debate for another day.

I don't think anyone, myself included, is saying we are a historically elite basketball program. We have experienced some level of success, which proves the right person can be successful here and, therefore, we as fans have the right to aspire to that success. I think we have experienced enough success that we should always be able to expect that we will field a competitive team, at the very least. We are not doing that now and even if we are not, or never were, elite, that does not preclude us from demanding more than we're getting from this program.

End of rant.

Socalclone1

Mar 4, 2008
Riverside, CA
Here’s what I see when I review this data. From 1980 – 2005, ISU MBB winning % was very cyclical. We would experience a few years of increasing success which would then be followed by a “rebuilding yearâ€￾, then a few more years of increasing success, and then another “rebuilding yearâ€￾, etc….. 80-81, 86-87, 89-90, 93-94, 97-98, and 01-02 being our “rebuilding yearsâ€￾. I have updated the chart to highlight this.

Two big things that stand out:
1. This cyclical trend crosses over coaches. That is, coaching changes seem to have no affect on the cycle.
2. The cycle was broken in 05-06 and a new trend has begun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron