A good reason to keep our grass

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not to mention that it would be a huge slap in the face to our very good turf managment program at Iowa State.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Turf is ugly, football is meant to be played on grass. That is like playing baseball on turf, it is just blashpemous.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Turf sucks, all the little rubber pieces get stuck in your shoe and they bug you the whole game and they scrape the crap out of your arms. I mean you can cut and plant the same, but it's just not the same feeling.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Was 1996 the year that natural grass was put back in? Before that it was artificial correct?

I only ask because that was my first year at ISU and being from Bettendorf I had never been to a game at Cyclone/Jack Trice Stadium.

I love the look of the current field... It really is a beautiful surface, and I would hate to see it changed.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Was 1996 the year that natural grass was put back in? Before that it was artificial correct?

I only ask because that was my first year at ISU and being from Bettendorf I had never been to a game at Cyclone/Jack Trice Stadium.

I love the look of the current field... It really is a beautiful surface, and I would hate to see it changed.

Artificial from 1975-95. Grass from 1996-present. Name changed from Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field to Jack Trice Stadium in 1997.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I remembered the name change... just wasn't 100% on the grass thing. Thanks...

I remember someone saying that they basically put the grass in for Troy Davis...Rumor?

Rumor. The old turf was so worn out that it had bare spots, and there was the occasional "Jack Trice" tackles where a player in the open would trip over one of these spots.

It was probably one of the worst playing surfaces in all of college football. It was literally so bad that it was a safety issue.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Natural Grass was very popular when I was at Iowa State. Just walk down the dorm floor and inhale....that's all it took.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Rumor. there was the occasional "Jack Trice" tackles where a player in the open would trip over one of these spots.

I remember games against some of the really good CU and kNU teams in the early 90's, where there backs would be in space, and just fall to the ground. Those were usually the defensive highlights of the day...

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
The most compelling reason to keep natural turf is the deficiency we currently have in terms of speed. When we play teams with more team speed (like UT and OU) the grass should be very high to help negate some of the speed advantage these teams have over us. You may remember a couple of years ago when USC played at ND they had the grass so tall that you could barely see the shoes of Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart when they stepped onto the field. Personally, once ISU and Chizik have corrected our speed issues, I would be for one of the new state-of-the-art artificial surfaces!